A plea to audiences

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Rodin

A plea to audiences

Post by Rodin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:53 am

Please let the guy sing.
He doesn't need flowers, yelps, clapping between each chorus, screeching etc.
Or is this just North American audiences ?
I was listening to a recent Dylan show where somebody keeps shouting 'I know you can hear me Bob, sing Shooting Star'...what a plank.

Let the old boys sing.
Misunderstood
Paula

Re: A plea to audiences

Post by Paula » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:48 pm

Rodin I agree with you. I hate all those whoops and yells that some people find the need to do. I also hate people who decide to stand up regardless of those behind.

So in essence if you have a big hat, don't wear it, if you have massive hair, cut it, if you are going to be loud and leery for God's sake all sit together and irritate each other.

I am turning into a grumpy old woman :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
zintman61

Post by zintman61 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:52 pm

Myself and the several companions I attended two shows with concur.
Applaud after the song is over.

And for you photographers,turn the bloody flashes off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(you get better photos with it off anyway,all you are doing in your photos is illuminating the heads in front of you...it's not going to improve your images of the band on stage).
coyotesisterh

Post by coyotesisterh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:45 am

I agree about the flash photography, but I'm a self confessed yelper/clapper/screecher. I saw Leonard last night in Hamilton, where most of the audience seemed to be very high energy, and many of us clapped during songs, wooped, etc. I wasn't bothered by other people at all, it's just them showing appreciation for Leonard's work.

Some of us don't have the financial means or time to travel and see more than one concert. Being south of 25, last was probably the first and last time I'll get to see him, a man that has greatly shaped my life and whom I admire. So I'm sorry if anybody was bothered by my wooping after the first chorus of Hallelujah and Democracy, but I was there to enjoy myself. And quite frankly, I'm pretty sure Leonard was enjoying how the audience was reacting to him and his words. I'm sure hundreds of women of all ages cat calling and screeching at you during I'm Your Man makes an old guy feel pretty good about himself. How do you know that Mr. Cohen doesn't want to hear people screaming for him?
polka dot shirt

Post by polka dot shirt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:41 am

This is a discussion that I have heard and seen at many concerts, and I go to a lot of them all over North America. I will say that most of the best performances I have seen have had a good amount crowd feedback. I do agree that it has its limits and that all at the concert should be respected. That being said, a balance of understanding of different personalities. Here are some suggestions:

1. A standing welcome is expected for any performer of this calibre, if they open with a dance song, stay up until the music pace slows down, otherwise they probaly expect you to sit down.
2. A 'word smith' performer of LC calbre should be listened to, so sitting through slow - mid upper tempo songs seems approriate. If you must stand throughout the performance (and there are people who need this to enjoy the show) try to purchase an aisle seat at the back of a section, or negotiate a place along the side wall with the usher to not disturb others.....yes you loose some of your sound quality, but do not interfere with others.
3. At 'young band' shows where everyone is dancing, go for it, have fun and shake your bones. At an 'older' show where people probably are not going to be comfortable standing for 2 hours, shake it down in your seat for the better part of the show.
4. I know with these great songs, you want to scream the lyrics because they mean so much to you, that's a good thing and can be a great ambiance at the right show, say Dave Matthews or even Paul McCartney......at LC , the sound system will not drown you out, he has a golden voice, so people want to hear it... try mouthing the words ....it actually works
5. If you want to sit all night and stare at Leonard, perhaps a wax museum with an Ipod may suit your needs. At a live performance of modern music, it is natural to react within the above suggestions, so a little yelp or cheer on occassion helps keep a buzz in the room. Clapping after well recognized versus or those relative to our times provides a sense of agreement and can create good feelings with the performer. The feedback should be somewhat relevant and not intended for the audience members need for self recognition.
6. There are times to stand, dance and join in. For those who have been respected during the ambiant songs, understand there are certain 'highs' audience members come for to participate... a good example is the ' raising to the feet of the Fredericton crowd for Hallelujah or the dancing in Moncton to Closing time. I really think 'the Future' deserves some White Man dancing activity as well, we will see in Toronto.

Long and short, it would be great if everybody has a good time, maybe try something differant and try to go withthe natural flow of the show and share other peoples point of view. Some musicians have designated standing sections, great idea. Dylan was using the floor at arena's for standing General admission with reserved seating in the bleachers, another great idea.
grumpyoldgit

Post by grumpyoldgit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:44 am

I do think whooping and screaming through a performance tends to be an American thing. I will be seeing LC at Glastonbury and I would not expect there to be any unseemly noise except for the sound of 150,000 pairs of wellingtons squelching in mud.
mirka

Post by mirka » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 pm

polka dot shirt wrote: If you want to sit all night and stare at Leonard, perhaps a wax museum with an Ipod may suit your needs.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think artists get energy boost from the audience, it's a two way channel, if the audience doesn't respond the artist has no idea if he is getting through.
LC clearly senses audience very well, I think he might fall asleep if everybody seats and stares at him politely :razz: :lol:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Paula

Post by Paula » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:38 pm

polka dot shirt wrote: Long and short, it would be great if everybody has a good time, maybe try something differant
That is a two way street Polka Dot. One man's ott reactions may be another man's mitigating circumstances at trial.

I think it is more an American thing all that yelling and screaming.

Leonard has done enough concerts over the years to know what reaction to expect from appreciative crowds in different countries.

Last Cohen concert I went to in London x years ago. The audience showed their appreciation without resorting to white noise.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:48 pm

I went to a concert last night and got VERY annoyed with other people.

Firstly, loads came in late when the concert had already started and secondly they got up every five minutes to get something to eat or drink. That really enoyed me.

Please be punctual and stay at your seat for the duration of the concert and don't spoil it for everyone else.
grumpyoldgit

Post by grumpyoldgit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:55 pm

osmachar wrote:I went to a concert last night and got VERY annoyed with other people.

Firstly, loads came in late when the concert had already started and secondly they got up every five minutes to get something to eat or drink. That really enoyed me.

Please be punctual and stay at your seat for the duration of the concert and don't spoil it for everyone else.
Going for a drink in the middle of a concert is becoming much more common. I think it is often linked to Corporate tickets where a section of the audience is there for the free booze and to be seen rather than going to appreciate the music. I was lucky enough to get tickets for the Led Zeppelin concert at the O2 last December. It was noticable that the middle tier in the concert hall was constantly on the move and that there were even people coming back from the bar laden down with beer during Stairway to Heaven.
It is annoying when real fans cannot get tickets while others are there just to be seen.
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:22 pm

I know. You pay a lot of money for this and are looking forward to it and then other stupid people are just there to get drunk and don't care if they are nuisance because you constantly have to get up for them to let them through and you don't even get a 'sorry' or 'thanks'....argh!!! You can see it really peed me off last night.....
hanes

Post by hanes » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:52 pm

I feel a little bit pampered now reading the above stories. I was at the May 25th show in St. John's, NL and I found the crowd to be quite respectful (I mentioned this in another thread but this also came a week after watching Queens of the Stone Age be pelted with shoes and beer cups, then anti-climactically leave the stage, completely different atmosphere/genre though).

During Dance Me To The End of Love and The Future there were non-stop camera flashes which was very distracting (it's so true about turning off your flash, I always watch people take dozens of shots because they cant figure out why it's only the head in front of them that comes out) but I found that after the first 2 songs or so the cameras stopped, except in between when there were folks running down to teh front to snap pictures in between songs. LC has a really dedicated following in Newfoundland so I think that for the most part here people were wanting to soak in as much as they could, you could hear a pin drop during A Thousand Kisses Deep, I had never experienced that any any other show. There were whoops and hollering throughout but I didnt find them that distracting, I was pretty close to the stage though :D

The ushers werent stopping people from taking pictures from what I saw, the ushers at this show were kids from the high school where the theatre is so they could probably care less. And I only saw 2 huge burly security guys at either side of the stage looking bored, not stopping anyone at all.

But I fully agree with whats been said above. With the prevalance of digital cameras nowadays it seems that people are more concerned with recording their memories than actually experiencing them in the moment, like if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there does it make a sound, it could be said that if a concert or event happens and no-one is there to record it, was it any good? I used to be the same way, but now I just live in the moment and leave the amateur video to others, I'll watch them on youtube a few days later.
coyotesisterh

Post by coyotesisterh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:42 pm

The people beside me showed up 15 minutes into the concert, and the woman who sat next to me did nothing during the show except talk to her friend once and awhile. Not even polite applause! Then, during one of the encores all I heard was "You mean there's MORE?!". She clearly did not want to be there, what a waste of a ticket. She recognized Closing Time, but she still just sat there and didn't applaud. Then as soon as it was over, she jumped up and left the theatre abandoning her friend. I guess she couldn't take it anymore! I find that more horrifying than anybody who screams their way through a song.
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:50 pm

I don't mind the occasional scream. In concerts/theatre it's the eating & drinking, fidgeting, chatting and walking about people I can't stand. Do these people not realise that there are people on stage working hard and that some in the audience are actually there for the performance.
jondi

Post by jondi » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Sorry to go against the zeitgeist but I have loved this man for 30 years and will do just what feels right and f'''ck any six point plan or wants of others. It is a gig not and audience with god, whoever She is. Sorry but this is getting teenage.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”