Manchester meet ups

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
linmag

Re: Manchester meet ups

Post by linmag »

Might it be a good idea to copy the information regarding the pub etc. onto the 'On the Road' section, as that is billed as the place to look for meetup details, and this thread is getting a bit long for any latecomers to plough through to find out where and when to go?
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Doctor Bob

Post by Doctor Bob »

linmag wrote:Might it be a good idea to copy the information regarding the pub etc. onto the 'On the Road' section, as that is billed as the place to look for meetup details, and this thread is getting a bit long for any latecomers to plough through to find out where and when to go?

Yes that would be wonderful...

I would love to meet up with anyone who is around pre-gig on Friday. But this thread is so long that I have not been able to make head or tail of the arrangements apart from a huge list of maps, parking spaces, tourist attractions and bars!
We weren't lovers like that and besides it would still be alright...
stan

Post by stan »

Hi All
I will be Arriving in rainy Manchester at lunch time on the Wednesday, then i will be meeting up with Sir Jondi and ms Blue, if you are there on that day or night and want to make the gang bigger than it is, then feel free to call this number [07828683802] on the day and we will tell you where we are or maybe can come and meet you, but the deansgate trail sounds just right.
In the end there is one dance we do alone.
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
Henning

Post by Henning »

So Deansgate is the place for meetups ? Is that fixed ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
margaret

Post by margaret »

Henning,

As far as I know the Deansgate pub on Deansgate itself is still the place to meet before the show starts.
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
Judy

Post by Judy »

Henning hi, This is what Ken posted several pages back. Will you be there with your guitare ?
liverpoolken wrote:I was in Manchester today for the Palestine Solidarity Campaign's march around town and after our march we all made our way to Albert Square for the Palestine Lives 2008 party. Plenty of Palestinian food, music, dance,and poetry plus some wonderful speakers including the redoubtable Jenny Tong. Anyways I don't supose you want to know about that. Before I headed back to Liverpool I went to have a look at the Deansgate.

First of all I timed the walk from the Opera House to the Deansgate and it took me just 8 and half minutes, not bad considering the amounts of shakshoukeh and lentils I had been scoffing in Albert Square earlier.
As has been already mentioned the pub is at the end (dare I say 'the Liverpool end') of Deansgate. If you are approaching it along Deansgate from the Opera House you will soon see an old railway bridge painted white and the pub is just before the bridge. It is in fact right next door to the new Hilton hotel which nobody can miss.
Plenty of fizzy lagers available around the £3 plus mark. More importantly 4 handpumps of real ale but only 3 working today. Hyde's Bitter, Marston's Pedigree and Robinson's Unicorn. I tried the Hyde's bitter which was good but a tad expensive at £2:80 the same pint of Hyde's would cost you £2:10 in my local in Liverpool.
There is a 'happy hour' Monday- Thursdays 5pm-7pm. when the beer is £2 a pint. Hey ho.

The place has apparently been refurbished recently. There is an L-shaped main bar with a couple of rooms around the back. There is also a roof terrace but this was unfortunately full of smokers on my visit despite there being designated covered smoker's area on the ground floor.
The usual pub grub menu was available but only until 5pm.

I made myself known to the duty managress Michele and she told me that she could give us a room downstairs for the 4 afternoons and if we wanted she could keep the chef on longer so we could eat later. I explained that I didn't have any idea of numbers or times so I had to let that offer go. All in all not a bad ale house for Manchester. Obviously touting for the Hilton hotel trade.

I think if you want to eat there best to arrive between 4 and 5 o'clock. For those not staying over in Manchester there is a manned Euro Parks 24 hour pay and display car park right opposite the pub. You can't miss it because it's painted bright blue and yellow.

So if you are coming along to the Deansgate before any of the concerts post up some details and we shall look out for you.
For a start I shall be there for each of the four nights from about 4 or 5 onwards.

Ta Ken
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Judy wrote:Henning hi, This is what Ken posted several pages back. Will you be there with your guitare ?
Henning

I will promise to leave my guitar (and Bob Dylan Songbook) at home as long as you promise to leave your guitar at home in Germany.
Your best musical outings these days are when you are performing as the duo Beauty and the Beast with lovely Kirsten.

After various suggestions from a few of the locals we finally got two of them to agree on the Deansgate. It's not a very big place but I'm sure it will serve our needs plus it's only a short walk to the Opera House.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

PLenty of room upstairs in the Deansagte
Misunderstood
Henning

Post by Henning »

Judy - as you see, it's better that I leave my guitar at home otherwise that Liverpoodle would begin to howl. But there's a chance that I begin to sing after 6 pints without the guitar, but there is also a chance that I will cry out loud on Monday evening in case Germany loses the match against Austria.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
scorpio1952

Post by scorpio1952 »

Am also interested in a meet-up Tuesday June 17th. Have got the day off work! :D Also Monday night.

Martin.
Last edited by scorpio1952 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is what happens to us while we are busy making other plans.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

A number of Forum members will be in Manchester already on Monday evening. We plan to have late dinner together around 8:30. If there are others who would like to join us, please let us know!
Jarkko
jondi

Post by jondi »

Please let me know where, I would like that very much
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We don't know yet - but many are staying at Travelodge Manchester Central, Blackfriars Street *); what about meeting in the lobby at 8 pm on Monday, and then we can decide where we go to have the dinner etc. You may also contact me by cellphone (email me for the number, but do it before Sunday evening!)
Jarkko
*) From Martin: Blackfriars Road is off Deansgate, near to Victoria station, It
is a continuation of Market Street & St M'arys Gate, the main pedestrianised
shopping street, for those that are new to the city.
ninasspacechild

Post by ninasspacechild »

I have Monday and Tuesday off work. Would love to attend the get together on Monday. If anyone wants my number please PM me.
The sea refuses no river
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hello,

I've been lurking around on this topic for some time now, and now it's time to get into action!
I'm going to the gig on Tuesday and will be flying in from Belgium around 8 in the morning (on the 17th). I'll be heading back the next day and will wear my biggest smile on the plane all the way back to Belgium on Wednesday around 7pm.

In between, I'm hoping to see a bit of Manchester and a lot of Cohen...
For the trip, I already booked my flight ticket way in advance and of course I've got a ticket in hand for the Opera House. Then what's missing?
- a good compagnion for a couple of days (more than 1 compagnion is also possible)
- a decent place to sleep (I haven't booked a hotel or youth hostel yet)

If anyone wants to meet up, here is what you get in return:
- a 30 year old male LC fan with no police record nor indecent manners
- a good chat and a bit of humour

My preferences:
- a stunning blond female 30 year old LC fan with good knowledge of LC, Manchester and maths
- a king size bed with champagne breakfast served on bed some time around 11am "the day after"

If anyone wants to aply for the job of being tourguide/compagnion for me, you can always contact me through PM.
(Grumpy older men will get a chance after I checked my mailbox for any female reaction.)
In case you just want te give me some advice on where to sleep, how to get from the airport to the centre, how to spot LC or which things to visit: feel obligated to contact me!

For now: take care, all of you and see you at the Opera House and/or Deansgate (if I manage to find it).

Bye,
Maarten

PS: I AM married, but my wife h*tes mr. Cohen...

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”