CONCERT REPORTS: Halifax, NS (May 12, 13, 15, 16, and 17)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
inaptitude

Re: Five Concerts in Halifax (May 12 to 17)

Post by inaptitude »

Just got back from night four. Not much of a change from the regular set list except for the addition of the spoken word A Thousand Kisses Deep. That, along with the long version of Hallelujah were highlights for me. Wonderful night.
littlejo

Post by littlejo »

I agree, Hallelujah sounded fantastic tonight. A Thousand Kisses Deep was a nice addition too, with accompaniment by Neil Larsen on the electric piano.

Also there were at least three video cameras recording the show. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see it again sometime.

First Set
Dance Me To The End Of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure For Love
Bird On The Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Anthem

Second Set
Tower Of Song
Suzanne
Gypsy Wife
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
Democracy
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)
Take This Waltz

First Encore
Heart With No Companion
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Second Encore
That Don't Make It Junk
Closing Time

Final Encore
I Tried to Leave You
Claw at your heart

Post by Claw at your heart »

For those of you who attended Friday's concert: how was audience reaction? Were Leonard and band bathed in deserved loving-kindness and adulation? Did LC still seem to be enjoying himself? Did he do the knee-dip thang? I can't seem to let go....
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

Hi ... so we have the setlist for Halifax [Friday] night 4 [May 16], but not yet the setlist for the third night = Thursday May 15. can anyone who was at that show post the setlist, please?
Thankyou.
Jim
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

It is so difficult to express in postings especially the way I write. LC is a gem he can do no wrong if he sang the phone book I would be appreciative.

The quest still goes on there are talented people seeing the show any NFB people here? Can anyone tell me how they projected grey for Hallelujah? I have asked some pros and no one can give me a certain answer.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

It's a day later and no post from mirka on Friday night's show. Mirka?
mirka

Post by mirka »

I spend most of Saturday relocating to Charlottetown, and even if I was given a ride in a pouring rain by a local PEI LC fan, it was still quite hard on me - I just flew in from 100+ heat wave in California, with a terrible flu.
I can only imagine how exhausting such a long tour must be for artists !

As English is my second language I don't feel I can write a review of the concert that would convey what I really experienced, besides extensive reviews can be found in local newspapers:
http://trurodaily.com/index.cfm?sid=135601&sc=73

Here are just a few personal observations:

The concert was quite an experience, it started with a standing ovation, and I would say for the next 2+ hours it was pretty much a standing ovation given by the audience, interrupted with LC singing.
LC presence was very touching, he was definitely very much "for real", connecting with the audience from the minute he appeared. His voice changed very little, and he is still able to captivate the minds and hearts, and convey all those complex emotions he is known for.
I think the essence of his appeal is his emotional honesty. He seems to put so much of himself into the performance that actually I started to worry about him.

My companion talked to one of his staff members, from what he said it looks like it wasn't LC's choice to go on such an extensive tour. Halifax is a good example how things "happened" -- only 2 shows were planned, but when tickets sold within minutes and there were still people waiting in the line for the past couple of hours, another show was negotiated; and when this one also sold within minutes still another one was added. I think LC doesn't realize how much he was missed all those years when he chose to remain in seclusion.

I'm waiting for tomorrow's concert, I was able to get additional ticket for my local companion, the guy who had to sell at the last minute said that the answer to his ad was 'incredible'.
Of course, after all LC is an incredible performer...
Last edited by mirka on Wed May 21, 2008 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Claw at your heart

For those of you who don't have tickets, please know that it may well be possible to attend the concert if you are able to stand in line for a couple of hours and get them at the last minute. I attended Halifax's Monday show and had tremendous longing to see Leonard again, so went to the Dalhousie Arts Centre at around 6:15 Saturday evening and there were about 16 people ahead of me. When the box office opened, about 8 of these people got tickets. The rest of us were given yellow slips and our names were recorded. I was 8th on the waiting list.

We waited till the performance started at 8 pm, and had given up, but the ticket office asked us to be patient. It was actually quite fun exchanging stories about our connection with Leonard. There was some angst because one person in line who had received tickets went outside and scalped them. This really upset some of the people waiting in line and there was a bit of a heated exchange. Some people complained to the ticket sellers, but they could do nothing as scalping apparently isn't illegal. The Arts Centre staff were obviously upset, but behaved very professionally.

While we waited in line, a number of us were interviewed by Lian Lunson, who directed the 2005 "I'm Your Man" film and who is making a movie of this tour. Apparently it was all very last minute, but she is a friend of Leonard's and he agreed to the filming of the Halifax, Charlottetown and Moncton concerts (and possibly more...)

At around 8:10, after the concert had begun, the ticket seller started calling names. I have no idea where the tickets materialized from, but 8 of us who'd been waiting for a couple of hours all sat together. I ended up sitting beside the dreaded scalper and, as repulsed as I was by his actions, gave him a silent hug and kiss.

The show was again utterly fantastic. Same setlist as Friday night, I think. At least it included the recitation of "A Thousand Kisses Deep"; and "That Don't Make it Junk" was included in the encores (which are the two differences from the Monday night setlist).

Leonard was as gracious and humble as ever. He was in great boogie form, his voice full and rich. His band was even hotter than on Monday night.

He acknowledged a song he had received written by Rose Vaughn, a local singer-songwriter. At the end of the evening he hinted we should leave because "someone at home may be waiting for you, nursing a wrath to keep it warm". Then the band performed an incredibly funky version of "I Tried to Leave You" and we knew it was over. He said his goodbyes to Halifax and entered the rainy night. Off to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island for tomorrow's concert.
Claw at your heart

Does anyone know if Dino Soldo (keyboard and wind instrument band member) is a Buddhist? Just curious as he wore a mala around his wrist one night and had it twisted around his microphone another.
mirka

Post by mirka »

Claw at your heart wrote:For those of you who don't have tickets, please know that it may well be possible to attend the concert if you are able to stand in line for a couple of hours
On Friday I also saw a line waiting at the box office just before the concert, and later, about 15 minutes into the show, usehrs lead a group of people to the seats. I think they used unclaimed "will call" tickets.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
treyia

Post by treyia »

Claw at your heart wrote: He acknowledged a song he had received written by Rose Vaughn, a local singer-songwriter.
Aw, man. I've been trying to get him my song.
I wrote a love song to him..
Wherein I propose to him...
I'm seeing his show tonight in Charlottetown!

http://www.myspace.com/nikkiemusic
(it's called leonard :D)
I <3 Leonard this much:
http://www.myspace.com/nikkiemusic
(please note the song on there dedicated to him, in which I propose :D )
zintman61

Post by zintman61 »

A few short (but close!) clips from the 5/16 show are up on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AcrdpbRQe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hdIRDdrCmA
lightning

Post by lightning »

Better than nothing. Those may be cell phone videos.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

arrrrghhh! The Manhattan clip cuts off at the worst time... I was liking the way he was starting to move there :D
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Rosemary444 »

My good friend saw LC in Halifax at Rebecca Cohn on Saturday.
I am seeing him here in Ontario in Hamilton on Jun 3.

..here is what he wrote me....he has gift of the written word for sure....

"The show started on time, probably about 8:02. The band walked on the
stage, and Leonard came out without introduction or fanfare. An
instant standing ovation at the sight of him.
He said a few brief words and thanked us, gesturing us to be seated.
Then the band launched into Dance Me Till The End of Love. The time
flew after that. You know the set list. It was the same as you described except for the
encores...he did six. The additional tunes were....hmmm...one was from
Ten New Songs...can't remember which one...the other additional one
was I Tried to Leave You. It's difficult to describe his stage presence. He's at turns
understated, silly, dramatic, dark, and humble.
Even though his movements consisted of rocking back and forth,
punctuated with a bit of hunching over with his knees together, he was
mesmerizing for the entire time. There is so much humour in him, so
much warmth. Perhaps my favourite moment of the whole night was during The Future.
When he sang the words "And the white man dancing" he punctuated it
with a few seconds of dancing like a white man, swaying his arms back
and forth and snapping his fingers. The audience erupted in gales of
laughter. He loved every minute of it. The second set began with Tower of Song.
Standing in front of the synthesizer keyboard he announced, "I'm going to turn this machine on.
I don't want to alarm you"..he flipped a switch and there was the
familiar synthesized bass line of the tune, exactly as it sounds on
the album. After he sang the first verse he played his first bit of noodling solo
on the keyboard for a chorus. After he finished, as he was opening his
mouth to start the second verse, a lone woman in the crowd shouted
"WOO HOOOO," cheering a pitiful little solo that had no right being
cheered. The crowd again erupted in laughter, and I wasn't sure if LC
would be able to continue, his smile was that wide. The little
synthesized bass line continued for what seemed like an eternity
before he was able to gather himself and continue.
Without question the musical highlight was Hallelujah. His booming,
desperate voice framed by a trio of angelic backup singers was
sublimely beautiful. It was so perfect.
Other highlights were In My Secret Life...Who By Fire...Closing Time..
..just a few thoughts....I'm sure more will come to mind later...."

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”