Sharon Robinson joins the band!

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Sharon Robinson joins the band!

Post by jarkko » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:46 pm

A native Californian, Sharon grew up in Los Angeles, studied classical piano with Ethel Newman, and majored in music at California Institute of the Arts. While touring with Cohen in ’79 and ’80, Sharon and Leonard collaborated for the first time on the song, Summertime, later recorded by both Diana Ross and Roberta Flack. Their collaboration went on to produce such songs as Waiting for the Miracle and Everybody Knows. A Grammy award-winner for her writing contribution on Patti LaBelle’s New Attitude, Sharon’s songs have been recorded by such artists as the Pointer Sisters, Aaron Neville, the Temptations, Randy Crawford, Brenda Russell, Ute Lemper, Don Henley, and jazz vocalists Vanessa Rubin and Carl Anderson. Her newest collaborations with Leonard Cohen can be heard on Cohen's recent albums "Dear Heather" and "Ten New Songs"
lizzytysh

Re: Sharon Robinson joins the band!

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:22 pm

WoW :D . Leonard is filled with surprizes 8) ! What an amazingly amazing [it warrants twice usage] tour this will be.

Ha. The exact time of my birth... 11:46 AM, the time of your posting. I just have a thing for numbers like that :) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
swisschris

Post by swisschris » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:43 pm

At last, some very good news after all the rescheduling and cancelling with this tour!
I am looking forward to hearing Sharon as I think she is both a very gifted singer AND songwriter and I love the songs I have already heard from her debut album.
Now I just wait till the other background singer will be...JENNIFER WARNES!? Now THAT would be amazing...

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
basecamp

Post by basecamp » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Great news! I love her voice!
Thanks jarkko!
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:00 pm

Swisschris: there will be three singers - see the other new thread with information about The Webb Sisters!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:32 am

I like this picture of Sharon better, too. And now I can't FIND the Webb Sisters thread, where I wanted to ask was it too much to hope for that, along with a violin, a harp might show up onstage?

It's going to be wonderful seeing and hearing Sharon sing in person... along with the Webb Sisters. I'll still be missing Anjani.
~ Lizzy

***the Webb Sisters thread is at viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10864*** / Jarkko
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Remigius

Post by Remigius » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:37 am

What a terrific news !!! I will always love her for co-writing
"Waiting For The Miracle" which I reckon as one of the best
Cohen-songs ever ( I litterally got tears in my eyes the first tine
I heard that song )
Yaanon

Post by Yaanon » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:37 am

Bump!

This is exciting news! Sharon has such a lovely voice and is a wonderful lyricist. I've been meaning to buy her new album for a while now and I will get on that!
Montreal June 25th 2008| Coachella April 17th 2009| Las Vegas November 12th 2009
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:53 pm

This is wonderful news! I hope it means they will do a lot from Ten New Songs.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by John J » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Great choice for the band,Sharon's voice is amazing.
Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:05 pm

mnkyface wrote:This is wonderful news! I hope it means they will do a lot from Ten New Songs.
I agree, that would be brilliant because Ten New Songs is my favourite album overall. I'm also hoping for a rendition of The Letters because that's actually one of my very favourite songs!
AndrewGMooney

Post by AndrewGMooney » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm delighted to hear Sharon will be part of the band.
I wonder if Sharon and Anjani will perform one of their solo songs as part of the performance?

I'm just wondering how long the set will last - and how Leonard's vocal chords will stand up to the rigours of touring after all these years. It might be good for him to let them both sing a song, as an interlude, whilst he rests his voice sipping some honey and lemon tea. Or smoking a few cigarettes!
margaret

Post by margaret » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:49 pm

Information if I remember it right is that Anjani is not part of Leonards tour, but is concentrating on her own musical career.
The Webb sisters make up the other vocalists with Leonard.

smoking a few cigarettes is not likely to do his voice much good :shock:
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox » Mon May 05, 2008 1:44 am

Leonard remarked in a rather recent interview that he quit smoking about 6 years ago. Personally I would think remembering all those lyrics would be the most trying aspect of performing. Of course, these days, many performers use a display for the lyrics down near their sound monitors - the audience never knows it's there.

George Jones just played here - he's 77, Engelbert Humperdinck is 72 and he's on tour. I'm very confident Leonard knows what he's in for and wouldn't do it unless he knows everything will be top-notch.
st theresa

Post by st theresa » Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 am

Just saw Gordon Lightfoot on The Hour last night with George Strombolopolous. He must be Leonard's age if he's a day. You should check out his tour schedule--he talked about how touring energizes him.

http://www.lightfoot.ca/2008.htm
http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”