ticket touts / ticketmaster

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
John J

Re: ticket touts

Post by John J » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:31 pm

From the moment venue's stopped taking responsibility for selling tickets the tout situation has become worse,
handing over ticket sales to agencies has been a retrograde step,none of these agencies considers anyones interest other
than their own .
Dealing with the venues direct is a far more satisfying experience either face to face at the venue or on the telephone.

Last year's Manchester International Festival featured the Blue Nile at the Bridgewater Hall, a guaranteed sell out but you
were able to deal with the venue drect re tickets.

As i've said in an earier post Ticketmaster and all the other agencies are no more than a licensed tout, I've vowed in the
past never to deal with them again,for Leonard I was forced to make an exception.

I bought my London tickets through Ticket Line who at least showed which blocks tey had tickets in.
table top joe

Post by table top joe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:54 pm

confetti wrote: do you think Prince Charles will be at the 02, or is he one of the touts?

What if he's both? :shock:
Jasonah

Post by Jasonah » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Subject A uses information available to all, to buy his goods at the lowest price he can. Then he put these goods on sale in his community for the highest price his community (and the market) are prepared to pay him.

Subject B does the same

Subject A is a greengrocer, subject B a tout.

Now if we factor in that the 'evil' greengrocer is selling goods that his community really can't live without, then I'm sure you'll all agree that your righteous indignation about not getting the row A seats you all 'deserve' is, at best, misplaced.

Toodle-pip
table top joe

Post by table top joe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:38 pm

Gloucester

Post by Gloucester » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Dear Jasonah,

Your comparison is worthy of a column in News of the World. Let me elaborate:

1. Greengrocer performs a function in the society - letting people obtain food without digging through dirt every morning. A valuable function, I am sure you will agree. Unlike the greengrocer, a tout creates demand for tickets by removing them from the market, so that he could sell them at inflated prices once they become scarce. This sort of thing is illegal in financial markets.

2. The aim of a concert is for the musician to communicate with the fans. Any activity which does not support this is inefficient and can only be artifically preserved in the economy through loopholes in the business model. Touting is therefore a consequence of a poorly evolved business process (and a bunch of no-gooders who probably drown kittens in their spare time).

Hope this helps.
confetti

Post by confetti » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:49 pm

I've just (11.40pm) tested the 02 hospitality package and was offered 2 tickets in BK A1 Row V seats 5 & 6 (at £285.10 + service charge + postage), so as I've said in other threads the best seats have been allocated to these people rather than the true fans. :(

what is included in the hospitality package, becuase that doesn't seem that expensive to me, considering I have just paid £182.90 for 2 outdoor tickets.

haha just realisesd how expensive that is now, but you do get a goody bag :lol: :lol:
Last edited by confetti on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
confetti

Post by confetti » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:50 pm

table top joe wrote:
confetti wrote: do you think Prince Charles will be at the 02, or is he one of the touts?

he'll be outside the O2 trying to flog off his last 2 tickets for £500 each :lol:
jammymulligan

Post by jammymulligan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:38 pm

Stop complaining.....Leonard Cohen is on tour this summer and its a bleeding miracle so enjoy it...
table top joe

Post by table top joe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:03 pm

confetti wrote:
table top joe wrote:

he'll be outside the O2 trying to flog off his last 2 tickets for £500 each :lol:

Id bet he'd be a bastard to haggle with :razz:
confetti

Post by confetti » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:45 pm

jammymulligan wrote:Stop complaining.....Leonard Cohen is on tour this summer and its a bleeding miracle so enjoy it...
i'm not complaining, i can't believe my dream is coming true, Leonard Cohen is the only person who I have actually wanted to see live and now I am. I am a very happy bunny, but the touts still annoy me for the sake of everyone who missed out.
Ladybythetrack

Post by Ladybythetrack » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:40 am

archiebaby wrote: Ticketmaster have bought up Viagogo and Getmein.
archiebaby, are you sure about that? Have you a link handy?

If it is this the case, I am appalled. I would like to raise this with my MP too. If you are mailing your MP, would you mind if I had a copy of your letter to use as a template, since you seem better informed than me?

I checked out those websites you mentioned and I was just stunned at the prices. £75 a ticket would have been a stretch for me, but the resale tickets are just completely out of my league. I was so naive about getting tickets, I didn't even try till Friday afternoon. But then it's getting on for 20 years since I went to a big concert, though that was Glastonbury... ... I won't say 'how times have changed'. I don't like to think I'm that old! But it teeters on the tongue...

I erroneously thought touting was illegal. Well, you learn something new every day :D
John Etherington

IMPORTANT POINT RE TICKETMASTER/TOUTS (ATT LEONARD'S MANAGEM

Post by John Etherington » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:14 am

It says on a link the bottom of the Ticketmaster "Ticket Exchange" page:

"Why can't I sell or buy tickets for certain events?
In accordance with the terms and conditions of sale set by the event promoters, organisers and venues, not all event tickets are able to be bought or sold via TicketExchange".

Therefore, if the people responsible for organising Leonard's tour take this into consideration for any future concerts, they may have the power to prevent tickets automatically being handed over to the touts by Ticketmaster's scandalous "Ticket Exchange" facility (though it would be better, if they didn't use them, at all).

John E
John Etherington

Re: ticket touts / ticketmaster

Post by John Etherington » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:29 am

Following my post above, one such example of when Ticketmaster wasn't able to use Ticket Exchange seems to be their recent selling of tickets for Brian Wilson's Royal Albert Hall concert in July. There was a one-day presale announced on Brian's web-site, and I was able to ring Ticketmaster at 9am, and get the exact front row seat that I wanted, at the face value of £65 plus booking fee! All of the other true fans that I know got good seats, too. I've just checked, and there don't appear to be any tickets for this on "Ticket Exchange". Leonard's promoters would do well to follow the example that appears to have been set by Brian Wilson's people.

John E
richardrj

Post by richardrj » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:30 am

As I wrote on another thread, the reason why the touting problem has escalated so alarmingly is not because it's too easy to resell them on eBay, but because it's too easy to buy them in the first place. There is only one fair way to ensure that the maximum number of tickets end up in the pockets of true fans and that is to stop selling tickets on the phone and online. Instead, make them only available to personal callers who turn up at the box office.
archiebaby

Post by archiebaby » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:23 am

Sorry everyone.
I made a mistake, Ticketmaster don't own Viagogo and Getmein. They own Ticketsnow and Getmein-both secondary ticketing operations.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/16393 ... etmein-com

This whole Ticketmaster thing is a rip-off. I recently bought 4 tickets for a concert at the O2 and they charged me £11 PER TICKET admin charge and £4.95 postage-in other words £48.95 in fees. And guess how they arrived? Yes, you have guessed it........with a 32p stamp on them.
Given that the O2 has a 20,000 seated capacity and the group in question played there 14 night it doesn't take Einstein to figure out who is making the money from the ticketing industry and it ain't the touts.

They are coining it in, laughing at the fans and blaming the touts. If you don't believe me just check how many listings are on ebay compared to the 30,000 tickets available for the Leonard tour.

Here is some more pasted below about Ticketbastard.

"Incidentally, guess who owns Ticketmaster? Barry Diller's U.S.A. Networks. Which were just sold to Vivendi. Which just happens to own Universal, the record company that controls 40 percent of the U.S. market and belongs to what the Federal Trade Commission calls a major label "cartel."

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”