ticket touts / ticketmaster

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
roubiliac

Re: ticket touts

Post by roubiliac » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:52 pm

surely you didn't lose them to a tout but because you were ill prepared and timed out!
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:15 pm

Completely agree with David.

I'm sure the best tickets went to touts long before I managed to get my O2 tickets at 09:00:01. I then couldn't get anything worthwhile in Manchester at 10am.

I'm very annoyed that the tickets suddenly appeared on eBay and Ticketexchange and people are making money out of this. Personally I think the £75 for an excellent ticket is too cheap, if the promoters put a proper face value on the tickets (and yes, I would be prepared to consider a £650 ticket for the front row) then the mass (and automated) buying of tickets would instantly become uneconomical.
Bela

Post by Bela » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:21 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Personally I think the £75 for an excellent ticket is too cheap...
I'm sorry? What sort of salary are you on? I had to think twice before deciding that maybe if I saved a bit I could afford a ticket at £50 (plus stupid service charge - for what service?). It is regrettable that tickets touts and eBay sellers should be making a profit on a certain number of tickets, but the majority of tickets should remain priced at a level that most of us can afford. And, no, I wouldn't be prepared to pay £650 for a ticket. I do not have that kind of money. Nor can I drop everything (or afford) to follow LC around the world and buy tickets for all his concerts. I have to work for my meagre living and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to go and listen to the man (whom I've loved since I was a teenager, back in the '60s) at least once.
London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
margaret

Post by margaret » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:32 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Completely agree with David.

I'm sure the best tickets went to touts long before I managed to get my O2 tickets at 09:00:01. I then couldn't get anything worthwhile in Manchester at 10am.

I'm very annoyed that the tickets suddenly appeared on eBay and Ticketexchange and people are making money out of this. Personally I think the £75 for an excellent ticket is too cheap, if the promoters put a proper face value on the tickets (and yes, I would be prepared to consider a £650 ticket for the front row) then the mass (and automated) buying of tickets would instantly become uneconomical.
There are not many ordinary fans who could afford £650 for a seat, even as a one-off experience. At that price I would stay away and watch a Leonard video at home. The whole ticket-selling business needs reforming :(
table top joe

Post by table top joe » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:27 pm

Ticket prices should be increased?? :shock: .....thats a ridiculas solution to the problem,Ticketbastard should show some decency to their customers(not to mention the artists involved)and get rid of this ticket exchange thing,im stunned they can get away with this......if a ticket costs say,£100 then a tout will probably charge £150-200,if the same ticket cost £200 they would probably charge £250-300,ive thought higher prices would put people off in the past(i hoped it would :) )but it never does,i cant see Ticketbastard doing anything about this problem anytime soon though,theyre not likely to care that the "real" fans arent at the gig cause they couldnt beat the touts,they make a truckload of money regardless of who goes......very depressing to see so many fans missing out on good tickets,or any tickets at all because of scum,but anyway,ticket prices shouldnt be restricted to only those with a healthy disposable income,id hate to think lifelong fans couldnt get to see him cause they couldnt afford it
stan

Post by stan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:41 pm

In the words of another brilliant poet songwriter,quote[money doesnt talk it swears]unquote,bob dylan.
I agree,i only wanted 1 ticket for myself and got it but i am stuck somewere at the back,maybe on the roof,but if the touts hadnt bought all the good seats to resell maybe i could have been closer to see lenny along with the rest of the staunch lenny fans.

angry stan
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
Dem

Post by Dem » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:24 pm

"AND,
Leonard has nothing to do with this ticket thing"
He should have make sure that there will
be a pre-sale for his fans in Europe as well.

Dem
Bela

Post by Bela » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:02 pm

stan wrote:In the words of another brilliant poet songwriter,quote[money doesnt talk it swears]unquote,bob dylan. I agree,i only wanted 1 ticket for myself and got it but i am stuck somewere at the back,maybe on the roof,but if the touts hadnt bought all the good seats to resell maybe i could have been closer to see lenny along with the rest of the staunch lenny fans.angry stan
My friend and I will be there too, somewhere on top of the cliff: you can enjoy the concert with us. :-)
stan

Post by stan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks Bela, as long as we see and hear him i think myself and your pals will be in heaven.
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:11 am

Bela wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:Personally I think the £75 for an excellent ticket is too cheap...
I'm sorry? What sort of salary are you on? I had to think twice before deciding that maybe if I saved a bit I could afford a ticket at £50 (plus stupid service charge - for what service?). It is regrettable that tickets touts and eBay sellers should be making a profit on a certain number of tickets, but the majority of tickets should remain priced at a level that most of us can afford. And, no, I wouldn't be prepared to pay £650 for a ticket. I do not have that kind of money. Nor can I drop everything (or afford) to follow LC around the world and buy tickets for all his concerts. I have to work for my meagre living and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to go and listen to the man (whom I've loved since I was a teenager, back in the '60s) at least once.
Just to be clear, I think £75 for a ticket is a lot of money. Most seats should not be priced that high. But I would rather see Leonard get £650 for the second row seats than see him get £75 with £575 going to the tout. It is clear that touts are getting away with bulk buying the best tickets and Ticketmaster seems to be encouraging them.

Pre-selling to the fans would help, closing down the eBay/Ticketexchange sales would help, requiring the original card holder to be present at the venue would help, but I also think having a face value lower than the ticket's true value is not helping the matter.

What salary am I on? Well, I earn enough. In fact I earn enough to be seriously tempted to buy the £650 tickets on Ticketexchange. I think this will be my last (and only - I'm 27 was too young on the previous tours) chance to see Leonard Cohen in my hometown. But, I don't like the fact I'm being forced to buy from the touts that are such a pain to ordinary fans.
Paula

Post by Paula » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:33 am

Bela - this will be his last tour and if I had the money I would have paid a ridiculous amount. In truth, much as I am over the moon to see him touring. I would have been much happier if it was through choice and not necessity that he was touring. I also hope he is getting a very fair share of whatever money this tour makes in my opinion he deserves it and much much more for everything he has given us over the years.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Thebrad

Post by Thebrad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:50 am

I totally agree with David on his and the many other comments made... The facts are that Leonard has nothing to do with this and the guy who said do not blame the drug user but the supplier was totally correct. I got online at 9.00 on Friday here in Dublin and by 9.07 could not get tickets. However the next night was opened up and I got tickets in Block A right in front of stage. I am very happy with that. My husband was also online trying to purchase tickets for me and got tickets to the left of the stage..... not bad but not a good as mine..lol. So these are available to anyone who wants them at cost price i.e. €242.00 (what we paid including booking fee). They are in block A8 in Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin. About 50 rows from the from the front.
I do believe that in this time now it is not what you know but who you know and there are ways around the ticket situation. However, I do not know them. Lol. I have waited to see this man performing since I first fell in love with his music at 19. I am now just 50 years old. This proves that if you wish long enough and are prepared to be patient,,, your dreams can come true. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all get tickets and enjoy the night.
Washboardjames

Post by Washboardjames » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:32 am

Can i echo what has been said..............i have been a fan of leonard since 1967 and first saw him in The Isle of Wight(in 1970) and just want to pay my money and see one of my heores play his songs ...........at the time - (IOW)i was only 17 i didnt understand the people pulling the fences down but after the farce of the last 24 hours when i was unable to get any tickets at a reasonable price i can see they were dead right !!!!!. Who are these parasites who can add hundreds of pounds to tickets and make a living out of music fans ......i will be contacting my MP (and Prince Charles.....hes a fan isnt he????) we must stand up to these people otherwise they will destroy music .....does anyone know anything about the gig in Amsterdam ??????........i went on the site a while ago and there seem to be tickets at a reasonable price .......i refuse to take part in the farce that is taking place in England ......and would glady tear down some walls to make my point ......i am incredibly angry about all of this !!!!!!
confetti

Post by confetti » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:55 pm

Washboardjames wrote:Can i echo what has been said..............i have been a fan of leonard since 1967 and first saw him in The Isle of Wight(in 1970) and just want to pay my money and see one of my heores play his songs ...........at the time - (IOW)i was only 17 i didnt understand the people pulling the fences down but after the farce of the last 24 hours when i was unable to get any tickets at a reasonable price i can see they were dead right !!!!!. Who are these parasites who can add hundreds of pounds to tickets and make a living out of music fans ......i will be contacting my MP (and Prince Charles.....hes a fan isnt he????) we must stand up to these people otherwise they will destroy music .....does anyone know anything about the gig in Amsterdam ??????........i went on the site a while ago and there seem to be tickets at a reasonable price .......i refuse to take part in the farce that is taking place in England ......and would glady tear down some walls to make my point ......i am incredibly angry about all of this !!!!!!
do you think Prince Charles will be at the 02, or is he one of the touts?
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
Bela

Post by Bela » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:27 pm

TheDoctor wrote:But I would rather see Leonard get £650 for the second row seats than see him get £75 with £575 going to the tout.
[Paula wrote:...this will be his last tour and if I had the money I would have paid a ridiculous amount.
I am very well aware that this will probably be everyone's last chance to hear the great man live, but some of us just do not have that kind of money. Full stop. And, although, what is happening is fairly disgusting, people like me still have a chance to be there - far away, up in the gods, etc., but there.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”