CONCERT REPORT: Amsterdam (July 12)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Geert

Re: amsterdam westergasfabriek 12 juli

Post by Geert »

Thank you for your kind words... :D

And for now A bonus picture, only for this forum! Len's Many Faces:

gelfling

Post by gelfling »

the gig was amazing. I was shocked by the amount of people talking through his songs though, either to each other on on their mobile phones.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Glad to read all your happy comments on the concert, friends; I am only now coming to terms with the fact that I have really seen Leonard Cohen on stage, after I thought last year that I would do anything for that privilege; and now it has actually happened, and most likely will again soon in Oberhausen!
The Amsterdam concert has been an overwhelming experience for me; I am 32, and I have never been to a better one. When he started off with "Dance me to the End of Love", it was just a haunting experience! And there were three hours of great music still to come...

By the way - anyone reading Dutch who would be so kind as to translate the opening section of the "Volkskrant" newspaper article?

"Het leek bijna alsof Leonard Cohen toevallig voorbij kwam wandelen in het Amsterdamse Westerpark, zaterdagavond, zo tegen kwart voor acht. Geen introductie, geen nadruk. Hij kuierde gewoon de planken op (gedistingeerd zwart kostuum, stijlvolle hoed), prevelde een beleefde begroeting en vouwde een prachtige, oude hand rond de zangmicrofoon. Zachtjes reikte de band hem de eerste klanken van Dance Me To The End Of Love aan, ze zweefden als pluisjes door het park, en daar was de diepe basstem. Leonard Cohen (1934) op een Nederlands concertpodium. Tóch nog."

Thanks so much!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

:o
Last edited by Steve Wilcox on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan from A' dam

Post by Stefan from A' dam »

Womanfromaroom wrote: "Het leek bijna alsof Leonard Cohen toevallig voorbij kwam wandelen in het Amsterdamse Westerpark, zaterdagavond, zo tegen kwart voor acht. Geen introductie, geen nadruk. Hij kuierde gewoon de planken op (gedistingeerd zwart kostuum, stijlvolle hoed), prevelde een beleefde begroeting en vouwde een prachtige, oude hand rond de zangmicrofoon. Zachtjes reikte de band hem de eerste klanken van Dance Me To The End Of Love aan, ze zweefden als pluisjes door het park, en daar was de diepe basstem. Leonard Cohen (1934) op een Nederlands concertpodium. Tóch nog."
"It appeared like Leonard Cohen almost by no means walked by in the Amsterdam Westerpark, saterdaynight, around 19.45. No introduction, no emphasis. He just went on the stage (distinguished black suit, sophisticated hat), uttered a polite greet and volded his beautiful old hands around the microphone. The band softly approached him with the first notes of Dance Me to the End of Love, that were floating like feathers in trough the park - and there his deep bass voice. Leonard Cohen (1934) on a dutch concert stage. Not expected!"
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Thanks so much for the translations, both of you! :razz:
Spike

Post by Spike »

The venue was so well managed. Being English, we couldn't believe the city of Amsterdam laid on special (free?) buses to the Westergasfabriek. We were even more surprised when the concert started on time! So we missed a few songs - next time we'll know. The whole experience was very friendly and relaxed.

I grew up up listening to Suzanne and singing to myself. But I lost touch with Leonard Cohen until my girlfriend reintroduced me a couple of years ago. She organised the trip to Amsterdam. Amsterdam was great, such a lovely city, but Leonard was the highlight. It was our first time seeing him live, and I was blown away.

The video director was superb. The band were amazing. The sun and the clouds and the rain were incredible. I cried my way through Anthem, Hallelujah, and If It Be Your Will. The man himself was a living legend, and so humble as well. It made me think, this is a true priest. This is what all the other priests are missing. He takes the words and magnifies them a hundredfold with the music. He communicates spirituality. Faces the world honestly and tells it truthfully. With a wry, humble smile.

What a beautiful time. I feel incredibly privileged to have seen that concert.
Nessus Jr

Post by Nessus Jr »

the gig is up on dime ...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... omm2642946

downloading as we speak ...
2008 Amsterdam
2012 Ghent
Raycords

Post by Raycords »

Damn, I cannot register at Dime as the have run into the maximum users allowed.
Anyone an account that I can use for one time :-?
richardrj

Post by richardrj »

Raycords wrote:Damn, I cannot register at Dime as the have run into the maximum users allowed.
Anyone an account that I can use for one time :-?
Dime is always at the maximum. But they delete users all the time so you just have to keep trying often, at different times of day. You will eventually get in.
Night Dancer

Post by Night Dancer »

Hi,

I am writing an article on the Westerpark concert right now. Can anybody tell me how many people could have been there.

Thanks!
maurice

Post by maurice »

18,000 people attended the concert in Amsterdam.
You know who I am...
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Does that mean that is was sold out? (I'll have to write an article, too...)
Thanks!
NinaMaastr

Post by NinaMaastr »

Hi everyone, I too shot some pictures and movies during this truly amazing and magical concert.

More pictures here

The movies I put on YouTube, the sound quality is pretty good I think (tip: click "Watch in high quality" and the full screen button right below):

First we take Manhattan

Tower of song (very funny :) )

Suzanne (of which my father said before the concert: "Well, don't expect him to stand there singing "Suzanne" with just his guitar", but fortunately that was exactly what he did!)

The future

Bird on a wire, very beautiful performance!

Sisters of mercy, only a short part.

I wish I could have recorded the whole concert so I could see it again, but we were standing near the sound table way in the back, and my arms were getting tired all the time. ;-)
Night Dancer

Post by Night Dancer »

Thanks Maurice.

For those who are interested the article will be posted at http://www.nostringsattachedenews.com/ Europe Reloaded next Monday.

Nice to know that you guys have been there too. I keep watching the cellphone videos on YouTube ... clear signs of addiction

Nina, can I use some of your pictures? Mine are crap.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”