March 7 update: The tour announcement on March 11

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jdhayes

Re: The tour announcement on March 11

Post by jdhayes » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:45 pm

I Think the Irish concert or concerts should be held in the University of Limerick Concert Hall.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
newyork

Post by newyork » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:51 pm

i haven't posted since Jarkko let us know last week that there will be no NY concerts. Too disappointed to say anything. It's not possible to go to Canada now (we're actually going to Montreal on vacation in late June) and so i may have to miss the whole thing.

I have to be satisfied that i saw him last year with Anjani (he did look frail; I hope he is up to the rigorous schedule to be announced tomorrow) and that my wife and I also saw Perla Batalla sing a few weeks ago in a very small club in New York. She was marvelous and had a wonderful time, and she was able to invite Paul Ostermeyer up on stage for a couple of songs. The tiny venues are the best, because you really get to see the performers up close. (Her tour is still in progress in Southern California and New Mexico over the next few weeks.)

I'll just have to hope that Leonard is able to arrange some dates for his fans here later this year. His band looks really super, and I have been imagining being there with the whole group. I know he's always been more popular in Europe, but it's hard to believe that we couldn't get enough people together here in NY to justify a slight detour. After all, he could always say that the US is really just Southern Canada. :D
ph2mil7

Post by ph2mil7 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:16 am

Any hints about Paris, France ?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:17 am

Yeah, there's also a bigger part of Europe hoping for the real, closed-venues tour later this year :)
mandlpeter

Post by mandlpeter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:31 am

I would hope the European leg of the tour would include at least one Central-European venue, Krakow, Prague, Budapest, Vienna or Zagreb besides the expected London, Paris, Berlin shows.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:46 am

About the March 11 announcement at midnight GMT/UTC (=March 10, 7 pm EST):

- the same information will be posted both on The Files and here on The Forum (so if one of the sites will be overloaded, check the other one, or try again a bit later)

- the pre-sale to the first city begins (much) later on March 11, so you will not miss anything if you can't be on-line at midnight (GMT) - you will get the info any time after that!

- tomorrow we will list only the first concerts in Canada. New cities will be added later this week, and Europe will follow as soon as the information is confirmed. So stay tuned for more details!
sls

Post by sls » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:46 am

Any chance Cohen will be touring anywhere in the U.S.? Austin, for example?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:22 am

Hi sls ~

There are no U.S. concerts scheduled for this tour. If there will be any scheduled, this winter, remains to be seen. This time around, though, if you want to see him, you need to think in terms of getting to Canada or Europe.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:18 am

Jarkko said:
- the pre-sale to the first city begins (much) later on March 11,
Oh, dear... as luck would have it, it sounds like this will be squarely into my workday. With a 2-3 hour meeting every Tuesday, et al. Well, Canada may not be the venue for me. It may be all about a festival, after all. Unless, later Canadian venues appear at a different time of day.

Kim's Event, Leonard in Canada, Leonard in Europe, Hydra. Still can't make any plans, but the field seems to be narrowing. Toward what, I have no idea.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
kaczor47

Post by kaczor47 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:29 am

jarkko wrote:About the March 11 announcement at midnight GMT/UTC (=March 10, 7 pm EST):
Except that we (ie those in the EST time zone) have already switched to daylight savings, so that makes it 8pm EST, I believe...
Halifax 12.05.2008, 13.05.2008; Wellington 20.01.2009; Wellington 31.10.2010
hunter_child

Post by hunter_child » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:36 am

kaczor:

12:01:39 a.m. Tuesday March 11, 2008 in GMT converts to
07:01:39 p.m. Monday March 10, 2008 in EST
Daylight Saving Time is not in effect on this date/time in GMT
Daylight Saving Time is not in effect on this date/time in EST

I got that from the internet, therefore it must be true.
It says Daylight savings is in effect in my time zone, Pacific, (which it is) but not in the EST. So i dunno...computer may be lying afterall.

it'll be 5pm pacific if anyone's still confused...
The Only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated. ~ Oscar Wilde
kaczor47

Post by kaczor47 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:50 am

hunter_child:

The converter you are using (and I just stumbled upon it myself) is incorrect. With the recent changes in daylight savings, I am not shocked...

I am quite certain of that, given that I managed to get through the day without any problems after shifting all my clocks! :)
Last edited by kaczor47 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halifax 12.05.2008, 13.05.2008; Wellington 20.01.2009; Wellington 31.10.2010
mikeotb

Post by mikeotb » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:07 am

I had the priviledge of seeing Leonard Cohen at his 1985 May 5: New York, USA - Carnegie Hall show. He openned with Bird On a Wire and closed with Bird On a Wire two more times. With his large repetior of songs you might wonder why the same song three times. All I can say was it was magical and perfect. To all the fans in NY and the states, let's hope we get a chance this time around too. ;-)
sistersofmercy

Post by sistersofmercy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:58 am

I hope this link will provide me with the 2008 Tour date for western Canada. Got to luv this ICON o Clast. So humble he is in accepting his Canadian Juno award for Best Male Vocals "Only in a country like Canada could I get the best male vocals award"! Or refusing the Order of Canada because he thought it was an interesting thing to do at the time. Yes indeed he is my man. May my epithath scribe the words of Closing Time.

Cheers
claire.oconnell

Post by claire.oconnell » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:30 pm

I hope an Ireland gig will be officially announced soon, although it sounds like that won't be at midnight.......I'm clearly not very good at waiting!!! Although I do really appreciate how lucky I am that he is strongly rumoured to be coming here at all, considering the apparent lack of scheduled dates in the US, I hope everyone based there can find a way to get to see him somewhere. For those thinking of long-haul travelling, Dublin (while it will probably be wet :( ) is worth a visit, and if the Kilmainham rumour is true, that will probably make a better outdoor venue than a giant field somewhere...

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”