Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
linda_lakeside

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by linda_lakeside » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi BM,

The only thing I know of Montreux is the Jazz Fest. - I simply 'assumed' that it was a Montreal thing, but I could so very well be wrong. Come to think of it, it's starting to ring a bell somewhere in the back of my head that yes, it's very geographically separate from Montreal. Google will tell us, of that I'm sure. I still think that Montreal would and is the most logical place for him to start, and I think that much has been established. No matter, it's a big world, and the number of dates hasn't even been hinted at yet, so he could include as many cities as he feels like - or not.

Montreux is starting to sound European to me now. A big Festival - since the dawn of time (as well as Jazz fests). Ach - to Google. I need to know.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Montreux Jazz Fest is on the shores of Lac Leman - Switzerland. If he swings that far - it's going to be one long tour. But, we'll see.

Linda.

Btw, BM, I've come to learn over 'a while' that you are far from being a dumb antipodean.
Paula

Post by Paula » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:31 pm

lazariuk wrote:
linda_lakeside wrote:Yes. That is very sweet, and right now, I am holding onto that thought very, very tightly. ;-)
It is the thoughts being held so tightly that make the words come so quickly.
Very good!

I sometimes think the shoot from the lip policy is best.

If I stop too long to think I often say what I think they want you to say rather than what I do want to say.

Tactless is the word I think we are both searching for Jack :lol:
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Paula wrote: Tactless is the word I think we are both searching for Jack :lol:
We probably all have different words we are searching for.
Some want to know if they can walk through fire
and others if they can shoot from the hip

I don't use those smilies things nevertheless people seem to see that there is a funny side to me.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
ilonka

Post by ilonka » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:34 pm

i'm so happy for that new!! i hope that we will know when e where he will be...
kisses ilona
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:34 am

Hi Christine
Sounds good to me! I predict furious computer related activity when more information is at hand. 8)

Dear Linda
I have grown tired of google, random disconnected facts don't make us smarter. I find it more interesting that we both had a similar confusion about Montreux and Montréal (because I wasn’t completely sure myself).

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:44 am

Hi, BM,

You are so right in that random disconnected facts do not make us smarter. However, once something gets under my skin, it bothers me until I find the answer. I've heard of Montreux for how long now??? Always, I think, under the assumption that it was in Montreal. But, with your question, came that niggling doubt, and I just had to know. Yes. I'm tired to death of all these computer programs, but they're a fact of life, so we may as well use them. At least, if I want to go to Montreux Jazz, I won't be booking a flight to Montreal.

cheers,
Linda.
law5960

Post by law5960 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:58 am

This is my first post. I want to share a memory of the first time I saw Leonard Cohen. It was about 30 years ago, and he was playing in a small club in Denver - just Leonard and his guitar. There were two shows that night, and I attended the early show with my brother and a friend of his. After the performance, it was announced that the late show had not sold out, so anyone from the audience who wanted to see that show could attend for free. The three of us went to a coffee shop next door to decide if we were going to stay (we all had to work in the morning). After about five minutes, Leonard walked in, sat at the counter and ordered something to drink. My brother's friend suggested that we ask Leonard to join us and to my surprise, Leonard agreed. We sat together and talked for about 20 minutes. Needless to say, we went back for the late show. I certainly hope he comes someplace I will be able to see him on this new tour.
yaya

Post by yaya » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:27 am

I knew that 2008 would be a banner year when I bought tickets to see HH The Dalai Lama for 6 days of teachings on "The Gradual Stages on the Path to Enlightenment" in Bethlehem, PA, July 10-16.

Now, the chance to see Leonard Cohen in May, has shown that this will be an even more glorious year! I have no qualms in placing Leonard on my list of those of whom I admire most, along with HH. I have recently learned of Leonard's status as an ordained Buddhist monk, which has confirmed the source of my admiration in the most magnificently serendipitous way.

;-)

Peace and Love,
~ yaya ~
Christine

Post by Christine » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:18 am

BM, rest assured that all is well in the West. I can't tell you how excited I am. May's a beautiful month here and I have lots to show you and for us to do. Ah, the details - we'll wrap those easily. Roll on May! See you at the airport! 4 months and counting.....
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:36 am

So (not if, but) WHEN Leonard comes to L.A. to perform who is going to be there? We must have a meet-up of some kind.
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
RachelApathetic

Post by RachelApathetic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:52 pm

I only heard about this tour today and I'm really really excited. I hope to God he comes to Scotland because theres no way I could afford tickets plus the £100 train fare to get me to and from England plus £70 for a hotel room. I shall be gutted if I miss this though.

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't be so selfish. I mean, Leonards 73 now? I really hope nothing bad happens on this tour :shock:

However, if he does come to Scotland, it will be a dream come true for me and make 2008 the best year of my life.
Last edited by RachelApathetic on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine

Post by Christine » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi Jason, yep, a meet up's a must. So far I know of you, Blonde M, Dar and I. It's usually quiet in this neck of the woods on the forum but hopefully more LA folks and maybe even out-of-towners will show up when we get the details. I'd be happy to be the co-point person with you if that's okay and will be adding my email address here shortly. And with Perla and Julie local, maybe we'll get lucky there too. When we get confirmation of an LA date, we can post a new thread in Other Gatherings and go all out from there.

Kush, I had to give up on finding you an Elvis Hallelujah gig but if LC plays here (and not in Ill), do I have reason to hope?

Diane, a list!
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi gang! Just dropping in now to say:

YYYAAAAAAA-AAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAASSSSSSSS

I am pickled tink.
Now you've got the gist of what my lettuce meant.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:50 pm

From Anjani's board:

Lizzytysh wrote:
Hi Anjani ~

I hope to hear or at least presume that you'll be attending and participating in all of Leonard's concerts on this tour. I can't imagine it to be otherwise; yet, it's still worth noting.
Anjani replied:
Thanks, Lizzy.
We working out schedules now and there are still many plans yet to be solidified.
But one wonderful bit of news I can share is that Javier Mas will be handling the ethnic stringed instruments chair which includes acoustic guitar, bandurria, the laud and the archilaud. Some of you may be familiar with Javier's gorgeous tone and absolute mastery of these instruments from his work on the Spain tribute DVD, "According to Leonard Cohen." Javier was also the musical director for the project and he is a gem of a man and a devotee of Leonard's work.
Photo by Conxita Molist: Javier Mas on the guitar doing "The Buthcher"
with Javier Colis at the Barcelona tribute concert last year

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”