Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
rhona

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by rhona » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:06 pm

I've been buying the Guardian for years, man and boy. I cannot believe that the Guardian will allow itself to be purchased by any Johnny-come-lately. Some of these people may never have bought the Guardian before in their lives. Something should be done about it.
Oh bless the continuous stutter of the word being made into flesh

2008 Manchester Opera House
2008 Clyde Auditorium/SECC Glasgow
2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
James T

Post by James T » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:17 pm

So it's fair for the guardian to buy all the seats up for 1 date to give to their readers? That's bollocks, total bollocks. Why do you care if they've bought the guardian if they're a real fan? Fuck the guardian. It's turned into a load of shit the past few years anyway, I'm surprised people still bother with it.
rhona

Post by rhona » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:47 pm

dude. It's a joke.
Oh bless the continuous stutter of the word being made into flesh

2008 Manchester Opera House
2008 Clyde Auditorium/SECC Glasgow
2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
James T

Post by James T » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:10 pm

Surely Cohen's booking agent etc... must've been able to prevent this? I used to buy the guardian all the time but like I said, it's shit now so I don't bother. I gave it another go this saturday and it was baaaaadddddd. Although, I'm only 20 and obviously know nothing about anything.
yousef_mcr

Post by yousef_mcr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:42 pm

Do we know that the Guardian actually 'bought' all the tickets for this event for sure?

I was presuming that it was an extra night that the paper had sponsered or somehow funded rather than one that they had been allowed to entirely block-book.

Then again, with all the strangeness that seems to surround the ticketing of popular events, I don't think anything would particularly surprise me.
willcarter

Post by willcarter » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:58 am

I feel terrible. I used to buy the Guardian every day. I did it for 10 years.

Then I got a job and started reading the Telegraph.

Will the Guardian still remember me? I'm starting to panic.
alanwhitty

Post by alanwhitty » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:17 am

Phew got tickets for London,, Anyone know when the new albumn is coming out??
Dortmund 1978; O2 , Bournemouth & Brighton 2009; Weybridge 2010 ; Wembley 2012
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 am

alanwhitty wrote:Anyone know when the new albumn is coming out??
Alan, it appears that not even Leonard knows this. Isn't a world tour enough for the moment?
DCS

Post by DCS » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi,
I struggled to get tickets from O2 via Ticketmaster.
They then give me the opportunity to immediately re-sell through their site. The idea of re-selling, according to them, is if I can't make it to the concert for one reason or another. Ticket master takes a cut of course.
Their site had hundreds already for sale. So all these people had bought them and suddenly realised they couldn't go.
I don't think so. ! This is just a money grabbing scheme of Ticketmaster and seriously inflates the price for true fans.
My daughter, (brought up to be a fan of course), tried to get them for Manchester where she lives and at 10.00am they were sold out.
Yet, again, there are tickets on sale from various websites at up to 4 times face value.
One argument is that tickets are a commodity like any other product to be bought and sold. Price dictated by supply and demand. Unfortunately, the internet, with Ticketmaster and ebay at the forefront has embraced that philosophy and welcomed ticket touts. Profit being the motive for all of them.
How different it was when, many years ago, I saw Leonard at the Royal Albert Hall in London. I rang the booking office, bought the tickets from them and looked forward to a great night. Lets hope all the fans who want to see possibly the last tour will get a chance without being ripped off too much.
DCS
wichitawillis

Post by wichitawillis » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:04 pm

HI DCS,

Couldn't agree more. You'd have thought that between the o2 and OPera house, any fan would stand a chance of getting a couple of tickets.
I was stuck on a train at 9.50 thinking that if I didn't get to an internet cafe pretty quick, I'd be waving bye-bye to any chance of seeing Leonard.
Fortunately, i pulled in and there was wi-fi at the station cafe in time for 10, (so Manchester 17/6 here I come!!), but just for curiosity I've got my eye on a couple of tickets on ebay which in half an hour will sell for more than £350 a pair.

Unfortunately, evil touts know that once you've spent half an hour on the phone to an engaged tone, the fan will become so obsessed by going, they've got so close, that they're bound to step up the asking price.
Ebay exacerbates this by the very nature of bidding.

OOH IT MAKES ME MAD!!!!!!

Good luck with o2,
Will
andenord

Post by andenord » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:50 pm

Does anyone know what type of style the concert is gonna be in? I mean, is it gonna be "Dear Heather-Cohen" with synth and backing vocals, or do we get to see Leonard with analogue instruments and so on.

Well, it doesn't matter - a concert with Leonard is fantastic no matter what anyway..
First of july in Oslo, I'm looking forward :)
foo_kintit

Post by foo_kintit » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:54 pm

just got my tickets for the Edinburgh gig i cannot wait to see the great man
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:15 pm

andenord: check the band at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/band2008.html
(singers not yet added to the page)
maneudo

Post by maneudo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi,
as this tour is trickling out does anyone if he will play Ottawa? It logically make sense that he would since he is going to Kichtener, On. but I was just hoping for a definite before I bought tickets for Toronto and had to drive 4 hours.

***Ottawa is not included in the schedule / Jarkko***
el-nico

Post by el-nico » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:39 am

I've got my ticket to see him in Oslo, Norway!!!!!
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

I've got two - there must a dark-eyed woman, who would sit with me this evening.
I will find her
I will

And my friends... we're coming together for the first time in years for this. Dining and drinking wine before the consert, dressed nice....

Told my boss that I will quit if he tries to make me work that day, or the next!! Nema problema!

The man is coming!
..there were lots of invitations

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”