Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
joanofarkansas

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by joanofarkansas » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:02 pm

I know I will have to travel a long distance here in the U.S. to see him but I can't wait!!! I've been waiting for 15 years!!!
claire.oconnell

Post by claire.oconnell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:19 pm

The ticketmaster Ireland announcement (before it was pulled) refered to a gig in Kilmainham on 14 June.
graememullen

Post by graememullen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:01 pm

This is the best news of 2008 so far.

Presumably Leonard will play an LA show seeing as it's his stomping ground these days?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:21 pm

I know what you mean, Graememullen. I'll be traveling a long distance out of the country to see him. With the price of gas and the airlines situation, I expect plane fare to be costly.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Verite

Post by Verite » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:15 pm

I've just knocked off a late lunch hour cruising thru this thread from start to finish...exhausting...I need air but it's pouring out here, so I think I'll be pouring a few fingers of bushmills over ice instead...with all due respect to the moderators, at over forty pages this is the kind of stuff that sends you screaming for a good book (with whisky in hand of course) where minds self-edit and other are edified. Over forty pages! I know people love Lenny's music, words, etc., but what I find most telling in his poetry is/are the silences...and if a little self control were to be exercised here this thread could have been quite interesting at, oh, maybe ten to twelve pages...some of you really do have something to say...

and so I offer up a proverb from the far east for those who would post hereafter - be it here, there or everywhere: fan she shih tzu erh ho shuo - "turn tongue ten times, then speak."

And for those tuned into matters of a more bibulous nature: "In my religion all believers would stop work at sundown and have a drink together ‘pour chasser la honte du jour.’" Palinurus (aka Cyril Connolly, just another dead englishman).

May all your weekends be blessed with the continuous stutter of the word being made into flesh.
damellon

Post by damellon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am

Verite
You're a martyr to the cause to spend your lunch hour reading through this thread.
I'm with you about the drink but preferably while your reading it as well as after - maybe even before.
As for the turning tongues, I couldn't agree with you more, but ten times is, I think, a bit on the conservative side and why spoil it all by speaking?
Since indulgence in the above might negative my self control I would undoubtedly need to 'chasser la honte du jour' with another drink or two.
You are an asset to this Forum and I urge all posters to heed your advice. :D
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm

joanofarkansas wrote:I know I will have to travel a long distance here in the U.S. to see him but I can't wait!!! I've been waiting for 15 years!!!
You will have to travel to Canada maybe. Check the announcement - Jarkko has no information about any US show at all, so far.

jarkko wrote:***At this time there are no dates in US. The tour starts in Canada and then comes over to Europe. I don't have any information about the future. / Jarkko
Yannick23

Post by Yannick23 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:59 pm

This is one of the best news of my 18-years-old-life.
Can't wait to see Leonard Cohen live. This man has inspired me and my young life so very much, I'd like to thank him!
I hope on march 11th will be announced further great news: for example Leonard Cohen playing near Luxembourg somewhere.
Let one of my dreams come true,
Yannick
Philwilli

Post by Philwilli » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Don't know if it has been written about this before but there are rumours that Leonard
is going to perform in Bislett stadion,Oslo Norway now in the summer on his tour.

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/hordaland/1.5034033

http://www.ba.no/puls/musikk/article3396519.ece

Phil
Last edited by Philwilli on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmanaomi

Post by emmanaomi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:45 pm

My mum is Australian and I'm living in England and we are meeting up Canada to see Leonard together, I am so excited!! I cant wait til the tour dates come out. Maybe we can meet some other devout Leonard fans for a coffee after the show?
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:13 am

I live about 40 miles from San Francisco and am worried- distraught and frantic, really- to think that he may not be coming to the US on this tour. What to do? Buy Canada tickets when they are announced, only to find that he announces a US tour later?
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:18 am

Hi Yannick ~

I hope you get to see Leonard, too :D ! It will be a wonderful, lifelong memory for you.

Hi EmmaNaomi ~

WoW! That's a trip worthwhile for both of you 8) . I hope you get tickets! I'm sure someone[s] will be happy to meet with you afterward, before, or both.

Hi Mnkyface ~

Tried to Submit the two messages above, and there was yours. I'd definitely suggest not waiting. Several places it's been said that this time around probably won't or just won't include the U.S. A bird in the hand... go to Canada or overseas if you must. If you see him in Canada, you'll be glad you did... and call always see him, again, later in the U.S.... if he tours here. I sure won't chance it and hope you don't, either. No decision. It's a given.

Same with you, JoanOfArkansas. If you don't have your passport, apply for it Monday and pay the expediting fee. Don't chance waiting for a U.S. tour.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lightning

Post by lightning » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:43 am

After being inducted in the American Hall of Fame, it may behoove him not to thumb his nose at the Statue of Liberty (also known as Our Lady of the Harbor). It could be profitable to show up here, at least in New York and San Francisco.
Vauxhall

Post by Vauxhall » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:33 am

The question is, do I pass up Canadian tickets to wait for US dates or not. I don't want to let the hype get to me and end up buying tickets and airfare to Canada, only to find out that he's going to be 20 minutes away.

And on the flipside, I don't want to wait around for US dates and then find out they aren't coming, then have to buy tickets off of scalpers.

But, I was planning on seeing him multiple times, anyway. So, I guess I just bite the bullet. Better to be safe than sorry, though I'm not really in a financial position to be running all over the place. Oh well, this is a once in a lifetime thing for me.
gemgem34

Post by gemgem34 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:36 am

I didn't even know this forum existed! Having listened to Leonard for decades, owning different recordings, having friends who love him and having turned people on to him, I did a search about a tour on a whim and there's one going to happen. How synchronous is that! And how great is it that there's an international fan forum. Or how naive that I didn't realize it? Thanks y'all for being there!

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”