Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
blonde madonna

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Postby blonde madonna » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:01 am

ForYourSmile ironically wrote:Yes the Orpheum looks fabulous, but El Palau of the Music is nice too:
El Palau is like a dream, add wonderful musicians like Javier Mas and...
BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:10 am

Yes, the El Palau actually looks quite magical. Not a bad seat in the house is an understatement. Looking at it also makes you wonder why more theatres aren't designed that way.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ania

Postby ania » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:13 am

and australia?????????
"It's strange. You never start out life with the intention of
becoming a bankrupt or an alcoholic or a cheat and a thief.
Or a liar." -- Raymond Carver
st theresa

Postby st theresa » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:34 am

I have refrained from commenting thus far (afraid of jinxing myself maybe) but all this talk of Spain makes me wonder if my time has at last arrived. I mentioned on another thread that I will likely be in Portugal, during the Leonard Cohen event in edmonton (sob) --For the past couple of weeks my better half and I have been bandying the idea of a side trip to Spain about. Please God--and you too Leonard! It is wonderful to dream n'est ce pas? Some of my more spiritual adventures have been due to situations that seemed to come together in a most miraculous way. I am watching the events unfold and allowing myself the curiosity and wonder of a child. I can see on this thread, I am not alone.
ispellit

Postby ispellit » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 am

I've never ever seen him and I do hope so much that I will be able to this time.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
mdidier

Postby mdidier » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:55 am

linda_lakeside wrote:
look here L.a.w (LindaAllWet).... crotchety is as crotchety sees.... is it not strange that on the way to an LC performance we would debate the nasal protuberances of Cyrano and Pinocchio... who nose how this will end?....

Marcel
Marcel,

I can think of nothing more perfect than walking hand in hand with you into the concert with nasal protuberances on our lips. In that fashion, we can wipe the horror of our first meeting from the slate, forever.

Canada is no longer a benign border crossing, alas. The recent spate of drug scoops and murder, acts of terrorism, etc. has made this the longest and most paranoid border crossing in the world. It seemed to happen over night. If you must make a trek North for the Cohen concert, be advised that passports will likely be required. I know it's true the other way. I shall be standing on the other side, waving my lace hanky crying "Marcel, over here". So, please, be quick about it.

Adieu, adieu, adieu...

Linda...

no problem with the passport.... current one valid til birthday 2009.... may be I will insist this time that Canadian Immigration put a "stamp" into my passport... I have several expired ones with all kinds of "stamps" when "stamped visas" were the standard... from around the world; somehow I never demanded one in LE CANADA...

Adieu.... et a bientot..

marcel
Life is the final riddle, we all give up on it eventually...
Yankovic

Postby Yankovic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:22 pm

MP3.com
http://www.mp3.com/news/stories/10730.html

Leonard Cohen plans major tour
By Jim Welte - MP3.com
January 22, 2008 at 03:03:00 PM | more stories by this author
Canadian troubadour, who will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10, will tour for first time in 15 years.

He's one of the most revered singer-songwriters alive, but save for some select dates, Leonard Cohen has largely stayed away from the stage for the past 15 years.

Leonard Cohen
But in a typically restrained post on the 73-year-old Canadian troubadour's Web site, an extensive tour of the US, Canada, and Europe was announced today. "Leonard Cohen will be touring with his band in Canada and US in May and in Europe in the summer," the post read. "More details will be announced in February."

The tour will come at a time of heightened attention on Cohen, given that he is set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10, along with Madonna, John Mellencamp, and the Dave Clark Five.

Cohen was regarded as one of Canada's most talented poets and writers in the 1960s, and has since been inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

But it was his move to New York City in 1967 and subsequent classic album Songs of Leonard Cohen on Columbia Records that vaulted him into widespread acclaim in the US. Cohen has been the subject of more than 30 tribute albums, and his songs have been covered by countless artists.

The 2006 film Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man chronicled a 2005 Cohen tribute concert at the Sydney Opera House. The event featured performances from Nick Cave, Beth Orton, Antony of Antony and the Johnsons, Rufus and Martha Wainwright, among others, as well a rendition of "Tower of Song" by Cohen and U2.
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
niffin

Postby niffin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm

Oh, this is good news...!!
And why are you so quiet now, standing there in the doorway?
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:16 pm

http://1heckofaguy.com/category/media-m ... ard-cohen/
(For the complete footnotes follow this original link!!!)
The Problem: Leonard Cohen 2008 Tour - Tour Cohen 2008 Leonard - Cohen Tour Leonard 2008 - 2008 Leonard Tour Cohen - Tour Cohen Leonard 2008 - …
Three issues impact the online and print stories about the 2008 Leonard Cohen Tour:

The only recently available information about the 2008 Leonard Cohen Tour2 is limited to this announcement posted at leonardcohenforum.com:

The following advance notice is posted with Leonard’s permission.

Leonard Cohen will be touring with his band in Canada and US in May and in Europe in the summer. More details will be announced in February

Only a finite number of combinations and permutations exist to present that core data.

The journalistic imperative of professional writers, critics, and reporters as well as blog-empowered amateur hacks of the DrHGuy variety is to produce unique, original stories

The simultaneous existence of these three factors offers the spectator not only a light amusement but also an opportunity to assess the personality of the publication based on its selection of photos and nonessential facts in the attempt to create a very special post about the tour. From my casual and unofficial count, these extraneous elements occur most frequently in these posts:

Leonard’s Cohen’s age: 73
Time since last tour: 15 years
Reference to the tour announcement appearing at leonardcohenforum.com, with out without a caveat (e.g., “if the posting is legit”)
Speculation that tour is motivated by financial losses secondary to the theft of Cohen’s funds by his former manager4
Mention of Cohen’s impending induction into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Also interesting are the attempts to choose a unique graphic (a photo of young Leonard Cohen, a photo of old Leonard Cohen, an album cover, a video, etc) that accompany most stories, a quandary I have cleverly avoided in this entry by inserting “Cohen On Tour” pictures of other Cohens on other tours.

The Posts
I’ve placed the graphics and links to more than 30 of these posts at GoodCleanWholesome Fun
This article is followed by another one, "Leonard Cohen 2008 Tour Prophesied" - Online Scripture Predicts Next Coming Of Cohen :razz:
Judy

Postby Judy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:46 pm

When I logged on tonight and saw that Jarkko had posted my heart skipped a beat ... it really did !!! This is it ... I thought, but no the suspense continues. Great article by Heckofaguy tho !
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Haha. Leave it to the Guy.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Jarkko
Could I request that as and when you have some definite tour news i.e. announcement of venues and dates , that you start a new thread?

regards
pete

****Sure - and I will also open a new section for the 2008 Tour! / Jarkko ****
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Christine

Postby Christine » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:16 am

Ah, I'm just not sure, Jason, that he'll go smaller. Speaking of smaller, Perla's playing in her home town at Theater 150 in Ojai on Feb 29 if you're interested. It's a tiny theater so we'll be kind of spoilt seeing Perla there. She's performing with a younger Spanish performer, Javier Colis, who performed a couple of songs at her Royce Hall show last year. If you want to hook up with us, feel free to email me. I'll have no trouble recognizing you!

FYS, what a treat those pictures were. You may not remember this but I'm more than a little in love with your beautiful city. So I give up immediately and if you just stole my hope for BM to head this way, you won't hear any complaints from me.
blonde madonna

Postby blonde madonna » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:30 am

Christine wrote:FYS, what a treat those pictures were. You may not remember this but I'm more than a little in love with your beautiful city. So I give up immediately and if you just stole my hope for BM to head this way, you won't hear any complaints from me.
Don't fret C, I was just getting caught up in the excitement and daydreaming. Things will go off here soon, hurry up February. Perla sounds good. I'll be seeing the John Butler Trio and the Waifs soon in a small theatre with seats (that's how I like it).

http://www.myspace.com/johnbutlertrio
http://www.myspace.com/thewaifs

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
Christine

Postby Christine » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 am

Shit, BM, I was about to head there with you! Seats are good.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”