Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
linda_lakeside

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Postby linda_lakeside » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:09 am

Another Vancouverite??? Imaginary Friend is from Vancouver also, as am I. The more we find, the more likely we can at least have a drink or a wee meet-up. After all, we can't really say that he'll be passing this way again. I rather doubt he'll make Victoria, but I'm betting Vancouver is on the itinerary. The Orpheum is a truly beautiful venue, as I'm sure you know. I, for one, would like to meet a few other Cohenites, and now seems like the time. So, if you happen to make it to Vancouver (I'm staying positive that he'll be here), we should try and put faces to names.

Good luck to all of us.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
rgraff

Postby rgraff » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:44 am

New to this forum. Old to Leonard Cohen. First heard his music in a Swiss woman's apartment while traveling in Europe in 1979 and have been an avid fan since. Would love the opportunity to see him in person. I look forward to tour information.

Bests to all.
jackbox

Postby jackbox » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:41 am

I have never been more excited about a tour! What will I do? I will need to see a minimum of two nights.... the first night, to enjoy the music, and the second night I will simply lose my shit and weep for the entire show. I already break down while listening to my Cohen live playlist on iTunes imagining I am there. I will spend buku dinero to get myself there. I imagine he will play the Mayan in LA or possibly Universal Amp. This event will change my life. How will I survive him singing Hallelujah?
"We know you're great...but we don't know if you're any good."
Christine

Postby Christine » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 am

Nice pic, T. Lou looks good in pink. Enjoyed your site too and your Manson shirts! Even had a listen to Planet Queen while I was there. I hope it won't be at the Staples Center - terrific venue but 20,000 capacity. Prince must've been a helluva show tho'. Shit, those seats must've cost you! What's your 2nd choice? I'm thinking if he goes bigger, the Gibson - he may need the best sound system around and again, no bad seats in the house. Plus CityWalk'd be nice for any out-of-towners. Glad you're going to see Manson.

Hello Jackbox, you're just down the road from us so hopefully you'll join us for a meet up. Not certain about the Mayan tho'. Jarkko (thanks) will be posting threads for individual cities once they're announced. So please stay in touch.

Linda -- good luck; I hope he goes to Vancouver too. The Orpheum looks fabulous.
theraven1982

Postby theraven1982 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:45 am

Wow! This just made my month! Can't wait for the tickets to be in my hands! This will be my first time I see him; I'm a fan for a little less than 10 years (I'm 25 now), but never had the opportunity yet to see him.

This is great news :)
Teratogen

Postby Teratogen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:34 pm

Christine wrote:Nice pic, T. Lou looks good in pink. Enjoyed your site too and your Manson shirts! Even had a listen to Planet Queen while I was there. I hope it won't be at the Staples Center - terrific venue but 20,000 capacity. Prince must've been a helluva show tho'. Shit, those seats must've cost you! What's your 2nd choice? I'm thinking if he goes bigger, the Gibson - he may need the best sound system around and again, no bad seats in the house. Plus CityWalk'd be nice for any out-of-towners. Glad you're going to see Manson.

Hello Jackbox, you're just down the road from us so hopefully you'll join us for a meet up. Not certain about the Mayan tho'. Jarkko (thanks) will be posting threads for individual cities once they're announced. So please stay in touch.

Linda -- good luck; I hope he goes to Vancouver too. The Orpheum looks fabulous.
Geez, if not the Wiltern I don't know what else. Gibson would be too big I think. I'd go with the Shrine, since it's the most Wiltern-like venue there is. Or even the Pantages, but somehow I don't see that one. Maybe something even cozier than the Wiltern would do for Leonard, like the House of Blues, but that's all standing room only, which would seem odd for Leonard. Thanks for the compliments about my site, but that picture with Lou was horrible. I took one of my friend with him just before I got mine and he was soooo nervous that he snapped the shot before I was ready. I just don't like the way I look in it. And yes, Prince was probably the best concert I've ever attended. Prince and Bowie. Not because of the artist or the act itself, but mostly because of the audience. Bowie had to be the LOUDEST audience I've ever heard. I bet if I saw 'NSync or the Backstreet Boys back in their heyday the shrilling screams of girls would be akin to the shrilling screams of Bowie fans that night. Especially when his entire encore consisted of songs from Ziggy Stardust, since none of those songs made the main setlist.
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:56 pm

Haha... has anyone noticed the increase in the number of Visitors ;-) ? Welcome all you... c'mon in. The water's fine.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Undertow

Postby Undertow » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:09 pm

lizzytysh wrote:Haha... has anyone noticed the increase in the number of Visitors ;-) ? Welcome all you... c'mon in. The water's fine.

~ Lizzy
Wikipedia has directly linked to this thread as proof of Cohen's tour, so many many visitors. Some decided to set up camp, like yours truly :D
Claw at your heart

Postby Claw at your heart » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 pm

I just saw a brief blurb in the Globe & Mail. Have been searching the web and waiting for this announcement for years. Don't tend to join forums or social networking sites, but you look as though you're having fun!

How do those of you who know about such things expect the location, dates and availability of tickets will be announced? Radio, TV? Do any Forum members have the inside track?
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Undertow ~

I think it's great that we're getting a huge influx of visitors here and a link via Wikipedia certainly puts that in proper context. Thanks for that info. I'm glad you've decided to set up camp and hope others will, too.

Hi and Welcome Claw... Heart ~

You're already at the inside track by being here. Jarkko, the site administrator will post the information here as soon as there's any concrete, confirmed information available. Jarkko is definitely an inside track; and when it comes to Leonard, this is where you want to be for any news about him. If you ever wanted to wish him a Happy Birthday, be here coming up on September 21 in any given year, as we create a thread that Jarkko ensures he reads... and then Leonard will typically, after reading them all, send back a thank you to us. There was only one year when it didn't happen, and I'm guessing he had so much going on, it simply got oversighted.

You can see where we're all guessing about this, that, and the other regarding the tour itself.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Jette108

Postby Jette108 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Ema Ho - what great news. I wish we will have a chance to meet Mr. Cohen in Copenhagen, Denmark, again :!:
My new years resolution was: Go to more live music in 2008 :lol:

Best wishes to every body,
Jette
Claw at your heart

Postby Claw at your heart » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:18 pm

Ki Ki So So! Any other Shambhalians in this Forum? Thanks for the warm welcome and words of encouragement, Lizzy. You seem an amenable bunch.
mnkyface

Postby mnkyface » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:41 am

I will need to see a minimum of two nights.... the first night, to enjoy the music, and the second night I will simply lose my shit and weep for the entire show.
This made me laugh really hard, because it's SO right on. I feel the same way about seeing him live. Although I think I will end up weeping the first night, and listening the 2nd. lol
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Postby ForYourSmile » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:21 am

Yes, I need two nights, too.

Wonderful news!!

Reading I see that Javier Mas may be linked to the tour. I believe that his Mediterranean sound is perfect for Cohen. Somehow, I think that this possibility is another gift of this brilliant madman called Alberto Manzano. With these names, let me dream of seeing him in Barcelona.

Leonard Cohen sang in 1980, 1988 and 1993 in the Palau d'Esports an unpleasant site, at the time it had a capacity of 8000 people, now they have turned it into a "Theatre Municipal" with 3500 seats.

But the incomparable place is El Palau de la Música Catalana, there Cohen acted in 1974, the success was so big that they had to improvise another concert to the following day; on Sunday evening.
Christine wrote: Linda -- good luck; I hope he goes to Vancouver too. The Orpheum looks fabulous.

Yes the Orpheum looks fabulous, but El Palau of the Music is nice too:

Edited because the photo went away.
http://wwww.palaumusica.org/seccion=245&idioma=en_GB.do

Two beautiful stages for Leonard, of course I would prefer seeing him in space of this size, not very big. I imagine that these things are not easy to schedule.
Last edited by ForYourSmile on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:26 am

I'm awestruck by the possibility of either one... each breathtaking in entirely different ways. going by the number of visitors and new people here, any apprehension anyone may have had about the public's response should be quelled. Thanks for the photos, Toni.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”