Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
claret

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by claret » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:55 pm

claret wrote:cant wait to see the great man again dance me to the end
thanks for coming friend
Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:59 pm

If i wake up in 5 minutes, i am going to be in a really bad mood.

If not....

thank you Mr. Cohen
Undertow

Post by Undertow » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:39 am

Ive made this account just so I could comment on this thread.

First of all, I would like to say thank you to Leonard Cohen for this. I am so grateful for this chance to see him perform live. Since Im only 18 and only discovered Mr Cohen recently, I havent seen him live yet. Ive actually talked about the chances of this happening with one of my friends (who I introduced Cohen to - he is now a serious fan) and we both agreed that we would never get a chance to see him perform. When I found out, I was so thrilled I actually started jumping. So thank you Leonard, thank you so much. I wanted to send this directly to him, but I cant seem to find a email ID for his fan mail. If someone could point it out, I would be grateful.

Secondly, I would like to thank Cohen fans everyone who Im sure have badgered the man incessantly and showed their support to make something like this possible. Without you all, none of this would be possible.

I cannot wait until we hear news about tour dates and tickets go on sale, me and my friend have already decided to take the day off and sit on a computer ready to buy the tickets :D
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:21 am

linda_lakeside wrote:Are you going, Kush, if you happen to be in the area? After all these years in the forum, I can see some kind of stampede to ticket counters. Well, with a 'kind' of FCC backing, I think it would be most enjoyable - in the Orpheum Theatre, in Vancouver. But, in fact, no one here knows anything for sure (I say for the sake of the board). Poor ol' Leonard could be hit by a screaming mass of fans, and then retreat to Mt. Baldy. Destiny will decide. If that's not your bag, then 'time and circumstance'.
No, no, no, in Vancouver Leonard's fans won't scream, they'll whisper – reverently. The Orpheum would be magnificent!
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:34 am

How about Valentine's Day for announcing tour dates and cities?

;-)
glida

Post by glida » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:51 am

I'm thrilled!

At last, a place to put all those frequent flyer miles I've saved all these years!

Fred
"When two people relate to each other authentically and humanly, God is the electricity that surges between them.”

- Martin Buber
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:58 am

Wonderful news.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:02 am

I have been an avid lover of Leonard's work since the 1960s. It would be beyond my wildest dreams that he would visit Australia on the tour, where he has thousand of fans. As soon as the tour dates and venues are announced I will be booking my air travel to the USA or Europe. The meet the great man would fulfill one of my life's ambitions.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:03 am

Imaginary Friend,

He played the Orpheum the last time he was here (what a venue! - people wouldn't believe it!), anyway, we in Vancouver, should he pass this way, should at least get together for a drink or 'something'. We really should get to meet one another. The Europeans are forever getting together, but we in Canada, esp. in the West have a harder time of it.

If you know of anyone else who might attend, or is part of the forum, PM me and we'll arrange something - this is a celebration, after all!

Linda.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:02 am

Hi Linda,

That's a fine idea – a Vancouver LC celebration. Count me in.

I came to live in Vancouver, from the Caribbean, many years ago. Not such a big transition as it might seem – the mountains and the sea are, after all, in close proximity to each other, and the climate is comparatively mild. Over the years I developed a theory that Canadians on the West Coast are perhaps less in touch with each other because living outdoors is such a big part of life here; we are dominated by the majestic landscape and scenery. By contrast, in Montreal, where I was lucky enough to spend some time, it seemed to be the people who gave the city its vibrancy. Always urgently talking about life, in cafes and bars, late at night, early in the morning.

With luck Leonard will come to the Orpheum again. What year was he last here?
Christine

Post by Christine » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:12 am

T, I think it'd be impossible to beat the Wiltern which happens to be my favorite of all LA venues. Such a wonderful Art Deco building and just a little older than Leonard. Seating about 2,200, as you know, there are no bad seats, the sound's great and it has a terrific atmosphere. And as an added bonus for us, the parking's good and it's an easy in and out for LA. I think you nailed it. I saw Chris Cornell and also the Bravery there recently. You went backstage??
Both a world-class concert hall and an architectural treasure, The Wiltern – ornate, opulent and beautifully renovated – looks like a theatre should. One of the most evocative and intimate concert venues on the West Coast, it has a long and storied past. Built as a grand movie theater in 1931 its interior is one of the best examples of art deco remaining in Southern California and is listed as a historical and cultural landmark. In 2002 The Wiltern received a multi-million dollar transformation and was reopened with a jaw-dropping line-up of concerts, including the Rolling Stones and a three-night residency by Bob Dylan.
Speaking of the W, MM's playing there for 2 nights next month I think. Are you going?

----------------

Kush, whatever was I thinking?
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:40 am

Yes, I was backstage at the Wiltern for Lou Reed. If you check my personal MySpace there is a picture of me and Lou from the backstage area. And yes, I will be attending the second Manson show on Saturday the 23rd. This will be my fifth time for Manson (second time at the Wiltern). And I do agree, it's pretty much the best venue in L.A. Been to the Hollywood Bowl, been to the Greek Theatre, been to the John Anson Ford Amphitheatre, been to the Gibson Amphitheatre (formerly Universal Amphitheatre), been to the Henry Fonda Theatre, been to the Pantages Theatre, the Disney Concert Hall, House of Blues, Grand Olympic Auditorium, Shrine Auditorium... you name it I've probably been there. Besides the Wiltern, the Staples Center is awesome for concerts, but only if you're going to a show that fills the capacity of it, since it's so huge. I saw Prince at the Staples Center, 4th row on the FLOOR, and when he had them turn the house lights up to see thousands upon thousands of people dancing, it sure was a sight!!! But mostly the Wiltern is just about perfect for any show.
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:39 pm

imaginary friend,

I know what you mean about being dominated by the sea and mountains. It's hard to connect with people in Vancouver as so many are from other parts of the country/world - and outdoors life is a big factor. Right now, everyone is either skiiing or just hiding out from the next wind/rain storm. As you know, the city itself is in upheaval with the new train lines being installed and the upcoming Olympics, etc. I was born here, and then I left for 15 years, and on my return, I couldn't believe the difference in this city. The downtown area is simply jammed with people, with all this construction going on around them. I've actually become lost in my own city.

>With luck Leonard will come to the Orpheum again. What year was he last here?

My discs are in such disarray right now, but I believe it was for Cohen Live. About 15 years I guess. I know that at least one song from that live album was recorded in the Orpheum. I think it was Suzanne. Still, I'd have to check the liner as to the dates, as there were songs from two separate tours on the one disc. In any event, it's high time he returns. On that tour the Canadian dates were Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver - that's it.

I always found it odd that there weren't more Cohen fans around here. Although, there is one forum member from Salt Spring, and I would imagine there are others scattered about. They'll likely come out of the woodwork once the dates are announced. So, let's keep that in mind, OK? I think it would be great if we could organize a meet-up. If there were enough of us, we could do a mini-Hydra type thing - only on one of our beautiful little islands, like Salt Spring. Ha! Not likely to happen, but it would be fun.

So, let's keep our ears/eyes open, and be in touch?

Later,
Linda.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:22 pm

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/01/21/231257.php
Waiting For the Miracle: Leonard Cohen To Tour
Written by Donald Gibson
Published January 21, 2008
See also:
» Music Review: Johnathan Rice – Further North
» Music Review: The Stevenson Ranch Davidians - Psalms, Hymns, & Spiritual Songs
» Music DVD Review: The Genitorturers - Live in Sin
Leonard Cohen will embark on his first concert tour in fifteen years, according to a statement posted today on his official website. “Leonard will be touring with his band in Canada and US in May and in Europe in the summer,” it says before adding, “More details will be announced in February.”

While he has sparingly appeared at selective concerts and book signings, the legendary musician and author has not launched a full-scale concert tour since 1993 in support of his album, The Future. His most recent effort, Dear Heather, was released in 2004.

In a prolific career spanning five decades, Leonard Cohen has produced fourteen albums as well as ten books of poetry and two novels. Though he has maintained varying levels of success, his works and stature have enjoyed a renaissance of sorts in recent years. In 2003, the Montreal native received his homeland’s highest civilian honor, Companion of the Order of Canada. In 2005, the documentary, Leonard Cohen: I’m Your Man, premiered in film festivals and movie theatres around the world.

2006 saw the publications of Book of Longing, Cohen’s first collection of original poetry in twenty-two years, as well as a 50th anniversary edition of his inaugural book of poems, Let Us Compare Mythologies. The same year, singer/songwriter (and Cohen paramour) Anjani released Blue Alert, an album produced from Cohen’s extensive surplus of lyrics.

Most recently, Cohen contributed a recitative version of “The Jungle Line” to Herbie Hancock’s all-star album, River: The Joni Letters, which is nominated for Album of the Year at this year’s Grammy Awards. And lastly, on March 10, Cohen will join Madonna, John Mellencamp, the Dave Clark Five, and the Ventures as an inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Check back with Blogcritics.org for further developments, including tour dates and venues, concerning Leonard Cohen’s 2008 concert tour.
http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=9204
Leonard Cohen To Take Manhattan, Berlin?
Monday, Jan 21, 2008 11:38AM
Legendary singer/songwriter Leonard Cohen may be hitting the road this summer if a posting on a fan forum at his web site is legit.
The message, posted January 13, reads, "The following advance notice is posted with Leonard's permission.
"Leonard Cohen will be touring with his band in Canada and US in May and in Europe in the summer. More details will be announced in February."
If the posting is true, it would be the first time Cohen has toured since 1993.
Attempts by Pollstar to confirm the tour were unsuccessful at press time.
Cohen was also chosen as one of this year's inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He'll be honored, along with The Dave Clark Five, Madonna, John Mellencamp and The Ventures, at the 23rd annual induction ceremony on March 10 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City.
http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/leonard_cohen/news/10933
Leonard Cohen is strongly rumoured to be touring Europe in the summer.

A posting on Leonardcohenforum.com from one of the moderators, jarkko, reads: “The following advance notice is posted with Leonard's permission. Leonard Cohen will be touring with his band in Canada and US in May and in Europe in the summer. More details will be announced in February.”

If the statement is true, then it will be the first time Cohen has toured in Europe for fifteen years.

Cohen’s financial situation could be behind the decision to tour – Cohen has accused his business manager Kelley Lynch of defrauding him of $5million.

However, there has as yet been no word on the matter from Cohen or his associates.
http://www.ents24.com/web/news.html?id=00043340
Leonard Cohen is to embark on a world tour in 2008 according to his official forum.

The notice is apparently 'posted with Leonard's permission' and reads:

' Leonard Cohen will be touring with his band in Canada and US in May and in Europe in the summer. More details will be announced in February.'

The seventy-three year old singer, songwriter and poet, famous for tracks such as Bird On The Wire, Chelsea Hotel and the widely-celebrated Hallelujah, hasn't toured for over fifteen years. He's also due to release an album of new material later this year.
Paula

Post by Paula » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Jarkko you got the scoop!!!!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”