Cohen-esque

The Edmonton Event - before and after
lklassen

Cohen-esque

Post by lklassen »

Hi everybody!

As some of you already know, the Edmonton Cohenites have been holding our own annual festival separate from the international events for the last 6 or so years. We are a mostly publicly funded festival, and as such like to prove that we are oh-so-much-more than just people who like Cohen.

We are people inspired by Cohen!

The mandate of our festival is to help people discover (and rediscover) the joys of Leonard Cohen's poetry and music through performances by amateur and professionals alike. In addition to performances of Cohen's songs, we also have a visual arts show featuring art inspired by Cohen's work, which has varied wildly over the years. We are expanding in 2008 to include open mike sessions for Cohen-based poems and songs.

That's right! If you've written a poem or song inspired by your love of Cohen, you can now perform it in front of a friendly and like minded audience. The piece does not need to be written in Cohen's style, nor sung monotone with ethereal female back up singers (though that sounds like a lot of fun)... It can be on any topic or in any form. The purpose of these events is to explore the effect Cohen has had on our work and our perspective of the world - to see how listening to his music has changed or inspired us.

****This is not to be confused with the traditional open mike, where fans perform covers of Cohen's songs. To sign up to sing works written by Cohen, please contact darby50@ozemail.com.au****

To sign up for the Cohen-inspired poetry or music open mike, please email cohenites@gmail.com
In your email, please include:
-The type of piece you would like to perform (poem or song)
-Estimated length (try timing yourself as you recite/sing it - this will give you a general idea)
-Title of the piece
-Your full name and contact information

For now, we are limiting each person to one poem and one song (or two poems if they are shorter than 2 minutes in length each). Depending on the response, we may invite some or all participants to perform a second piece. There will be microphones and guitars provided, so you can't pretend you can't perform just because you left your guitar at home!

If you are interested in playing a song but wish to be paired up with a singer (or vice versa), please contact me at cohenites@gmail.com as well, and I will do my best to find you a partner or partners.

AND because this is a project I whole heartedly support, I will be the first to sign up for a spot with my song "Whore of Babylon (Hallelujah)." I will be singing a capella - so those of you worried about performing without accompaniment, at least you won't be alone! :)
---

"Because I say so, that's why." -anon.
lklassen

Re: Cohen-esque

Post by lklassen »

Hi everyone! Just a reminder that we ARE still accepting names for people wishing to perform poetry or music at the Edmonton event. The open mike will be fairly early into the event, on the evening of July 24th.

There have been a fair number of registrations already, but I am holding off on releasing the list until more of the performers select titles for their pieces. (Why is that always the hardest part?)

If you are interested in participating, even if you don't have a title yet :D , pls contact me at cohenites@gmail.com
---

"Because I say so, that's why." -anon.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Edmonton 2008”