Hospitality Suite

The Edmonton Event - before and after
KimSolez

Hospitality Suite

Post by KimSolez »

The 24/7 hospitality suite at the Westin Hotel will be the responsibility of Lila Klassen, but we will need many people to help her with this important job, probably in 6 or 8 hour shifts. Thus far Darlene Nordstrom, Pat Murphy, Karen and Richard Slevinsky, and Jerome and Merle Martin have all agreed to pitch in. If you would like to help with this as a volunteer please contact me with a short description of why you think you would be good at this task or why you want to do it. It is a good thing for couples to do and people with teaching or nursing experience.

Thanks! - Kim
Manna

Re: Hospitality Suite

Post by Manna »

It might help to know what the responsibilties of the post are.
dar

Post by dar »

Well, Manna, when I volunteered I didn't even ask what the job description was. I'm figuring there better be some percs to the position (free booze and munchies?). If not, I'll BYOB and be as hospitable as I can be! So, join me on my shift Manna, and bring that banjo!!
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

Dar's got the right idea! It is a combination of hosting and facilitating, making people feel comfortable, answering their questions, helping them arrange things, setup for Karaoke and helping with setup for the professionals performing in the space from time to time, food and beverage and cleanup considerations, and dealing with any crises that may arise (unlikely but good to be prepared for). That's as much of a description as I can provide at the moment.

Hope this helps!

Best regards. - Kim
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It is a combination of hosting and facilitating, making people feel comfortable, answering their questions, helping them arrange things, setup for Karaoke and helping with setup for the professionals performing in the space from time to time, food and beverage and cleanup considerations, and dealing with any crises that may arise (unlikely but good to be prepared for).
and
If you would like to help with this as a volunteer please contact me with a short description of why you think you would be good at this task or why you want to do it. It is a good thing for couples to do and people with teaching or nursing experience.
Given the former, it seems the latter request could be simplified by a fill-in-the-blank form, offering to volunteer your services with:

"I've been alive _______ years." Other than that, it would seem a blanket statement of "Anyone willing is welcome" would suffice.
nursing experience
Are you planning for a first-aid booth?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

The position requires good judgement and cordial interaction with people. In the end we will be selective in who we choose. If you think about it you will see this job is crucial to the overall success of the event.

Best regards. - Kim
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Of course, that's true, Kim. I've just never seen it be otherwise at the other two Events I've attended.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

Nursing? Just how dangerous is Edmonton?

p.
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

Nurses have a lot of skill in assessment of well being, the whole person etc. I think that can be very useful at 4 AM when questions one never anticipated arise! Lol! Plus the Cohen fans I know who are nurses are really nice people. Bobbie Chalou is one example.

Best regards. - Kim
lklassen

Post by lklassen »

Hi Everyone!

Kim, in his (boundless) enthusiasm, posted his original request for volunteers a tiny bit prematurely. However, we are very much in need of them! So, I am posting a few more details:

We will need around 15-35 volunteers, depending on how many 4hr shifts each person wants to work. I am asking for people to volunteer for at least 2 shifts (8hrs total). Please send me an email at lila.klassen@gmail.com specifying what area (below) you would be most interested in, and what days you are arriving/departing. There will be a special volunteer dinner on the Monday night, as well as other perks we are still working on... Mostly the pure joy of being involved with such an awesome hospitality room!

Areas you can volunteer for:
Hospitality and Registration (Indoors, near the booze and food, at the center of everything)
Security (keeping an eye on those of us too inebriated to sleep and making sure no-one ransacks the room between 3-7am)
The Picnic (working with Tori to organise food/activities for the friday afternoon picnic party - outdoors!)
Tour Leaders (You don't need to be local - Ideally, I want to pair one Edmontonian and one international guest for each tour)
Decorations and Backstage (helping set up each night's theme and running errands for the evening's performers)

*****Please note!: you will not be working your little tail off the entire shift. The idea is to have people readily available in the hospitality room at all times, but you are welcome to volunteer with friends or socialize during your shift. Tour leaders will have specific duties, of course (like making sure the tour doesn't go off track) but again the idea is to relax and have fun, even for volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering but not sure if it will interfere with your enjoyment of the festival, please email me and I will be happy to discuss the responsibilities --and lack there of-- for vollunteers****

Anyone involved with liquor sales (late night hospitality) will need to go through a quick training program to comply with Alberta law... However, I will most likely be teaching the training course and I anticipate it being as fun as possible (for a government training program).

If you are interested in being involved directly with the major concerts, please contact kim.solez@ualberta.ca
---

"Because I say so, that's why." -anon.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

We don't need to submit a resume or vitae anymore? I remember when I coordinated the registration volunteers for the New York Event, my primary concern was that I get enough to cover the shifts and that they showed up! Everything got done and beautifully. Kudos to those volunteers!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

How much information you wish to provide to Lila and me about yourself when you volunteer is completely up to you but also related to the augustness and grandeur of the tasks you are proposing to do! Lol!

I think you will be able to figure it out. Follow your instincts!

All the best. - Kim
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

partisan wrote:Nursing? Just how dangerous is Edmonton?
Dangerous enough, and I have a scar to prove it.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
lklassen

Post by lklassen »

Only one scar? pffttt

No curriculum vitae required. Just pop me an email at cohenites@gmail.com and tell me what you want to do and why. If you have specialized skills (such as our fantastic security volunteer) I need to know in order to place you best, but otherwise it's a matter of what you would enjoy doing and where I need volunteers. :)
---

"Because I say so, that's why." -anon.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

No curriculum vitae required. Just pop me an email at cohenites@gmail.com and tell me what you want to do and why. If you have specialized skills (such as our fantastic security volunteer) I need to know in order to place you best, but otherwise it's a matter of what you would enjoy doing and where I need volunteers. :)
Now, there's a spirit of hospitality likely to inspire.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Edmonton 2008”