Glass in Cardiff

Everything about Leonard's 2006 book of poetry and Anjani's album
Rob

Glass in Cardiff

Post by Rob »

Saw it last night. About 15 mins into it I found myself asking "how would I feel if, say, Bob dylan or Billy Bragg's work was delivered like this?". I answered it would be pretentious, and it was.
Particularly songs we are familiar with, like "Love itself" was cringe making. To all those who have not managed to get tickets, don't worry, your not missing much.
Rob.
lizzytysh

Re: Glass in Cardiff

Post by lizzytysh »

You're missing The Conversation, however; and that is worth the price and the effort of obtaining a ticket 8) . I'm guessing Leonard didn't appear in Cardiff, Rob? Regarding your other comments, well, if you've read my postings, you already know how I responded to it. With yours, that particular word hadn't come to mind, not sure why; however, it's there now.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Diane

Post by Diane »

At the beginning, I thought I was going to enjoy this experiment, as Leonard's wonderful voice solemnly read The Book of Longing, against Glass' portentous instrumental, and the final lines repeated three times,

I know she is coming
I know she will look
And that is the longing
And this is the book

It felt like the introduction to a powerful production. It didn't take long to be disappointed though, as the mainstay of the performance was some dreadful singing including one particularly screechy soprano. The words were delivered with no feeling (other than when Leonard's pre-recorded voice played of course), and I had the impression I must have accidentally stumbled into a second-rate West End musical. What awful renditions of, for example, Love Itself, A Thousand Kisses Deep (to use the song names), The Night of Santiago, and My Mother is not Dead.

On the plus side, projected images of Leonard's self-portraits and other art were part of the show, and there were some lovely solo instrumentals on bass, cello, violin and sax. But the piece as a whole was not to my taste at all. The audience in general seemed to be very appreciative at the end though, and I did hear a few people tentatively saying they had enjoyed it! So. Just my opinion. Can't win 'em all.

But 'twas great as ever to meet with fellow cohenists Rob, Ann, Heather and Robert for a drink before the performance. Rob, I hope you will think of me sitting through it all again on Saturday. But, yes, Leonard will be there so I imagine I can just let it go by.

Diane

ps Rob's wife Ann enjoyed it!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

But 'twas great as ever to meet with fellow cohenists Rob, Ann, Heather and Robert for a drink before the performance.

. . .

Diane

ps Rob's wife Ann enjoyed it!
Well, lemme see... In Berlin, I only saw Rob and Ann drink a beer [the oversized drafts we enjoyed the night of the dance]. Ann [via Rob] ~ Did you maybe opt for a double-shot tequila in a Red Needle for this very special performance ;-) ? Of course, I'm teasing, but I couldn't help but look for the variable that may have made the difference :razz: . Or, are you a chamber music fan, maybe?

Diane ~

At least in London, the glow from the pre-performance Conversation may be enough to carry you through?? You'll also get that second chance to see if it makes the difference that I've heard helps in adjusting to/appreciating this treatment. You'll also have pre- and post-drinks. That can only be a good thing. I could go on, of course, but won't. You'll also have great company, but no talking during the performance ;-) . There may be someone there enjoying it :o .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Joney

Post by Joney »

Oh dear, I have a tendancy to go into fits of hysterical laughter if I find things pretentious. I'm keeping an open mind though for Saturday and it will be GREAT to hear Leonard speak.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

In that case, you may want to consider ear plugs for certain parts. The problem is that you never know when Leonard's voice is about to come over the speakers. I think they got the timing right now, so that people aren't still clapping, as Leonard begins to read a poem. The only thing Leonard does at the end is come out with Glass and bow. His voice recordings are wonderful as ever.

I'm not sure that the original idea [whatever it was] and its original outcome [when it was "too beautiful"] was necessarily such a wrong or pointless idea. The formality and relative stone-cold presentations may be where it all went awry [aka "wrong"]. I would hope that some tried-and-true Glass fans [which there apparently are some] have come to appreciate Leonard... his spoken words and voice in the recordings and on the page in the libretto [if those people, like I, have a difficult time understanding them sung] can lead to his own TRUE voice and music, as well as this site and some others. I KNOW Philip was well-meaning and well-intended in his efforts... so that leaves it to a matter of difference in tastes regarding presentation... presuming some really did like it, as it seems to be. It definitely wasn't a collaboration in the typical sense. Perhaps, it could be more fairly retitled ~ "Book of Longing... Lost In Translation."

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Sorry to hear that Rob/Diane.
But, folks, Philip Glass has built a career on musical pretension.
And the (self-styled) "cognoscenti" will always lap it up because they think lapping it up is the right thing to do.
But Glass is not alone in that and you may be in some good company on Saturday night. Enjoy!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Let's hope that the London performance does not result in a version of "the emperor's new clothes." Doesn't worry me as I am not going, there's rugby on the television!

Philistinely yours.
Last edited by Tony on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Aaaaaah, men with strangely shaped balls.
Is that the rugby or the Glass-wegians? :roll:
Diane

Post by Diane »

We will be in the finest company all right, RP 8) .

With regard to the clapping over Leonard's voice problem you mentioned, Lizzy, the audience in Cardiff was impeccably behaved, and did not clap at all until the end, which seemed to work fine.

Tony, you always refuse to come to the meetups, and I am starting to doubt your existence.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The audience was very well behaved in Toronto, too, Diane. It just wasn't clear at that point that they might actually miss something if they clapped. Waiting until the end is definitely the better way to go. That response may have evolved through trial-and-error and word-of-mouth and word-of-print. They also may have opted to hold off on clapping until they really felt inclined... when it ended :razz: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Joney

Post by Joney »

They also may have opted to hold off on clapping until they really felt inclined... when it ended .
That reminds me, about a year ago we went to see 'Night of the Iguana' the final line was "When will it end?" and I was thinking, "yeah, when will it end?"(it had been a painful experience). Needless to say when the curtain went down, following that line, I was very grateful.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

'Night of the Iguana' ~ An interesting sub-title for this production ;-) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Thank goodness some of our Welsh friends have spoken up and given us all an honest fan's perspective on the concert instead of all the beating around the bush that we have been having up to now. First the doodles and now this little lot. Hey ho.

Sounds like the usual load of Glass balls then.

Many years ago I remember walking out half way through that dreadful piece of his about an Egyptian pharaoh.

However I see that there is no interval for this concert.

Does anybody know if it’s going to be possible after the conversation for me to pass on my ticket to someone else outside the venue who wants to attend the concert so I can go and watch the rugby.

My ticket is front row centre. So they should have a good view of the Emperor’s clothes.

At least I have the Tiger Lillies to look forward to on Sunday night.

And BTW I'll have nothing said bad about Tennessee Williams if you don't mind.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Christine

Post by Christine »

Ken, you are a breath of fresh air and I feel like I just got some good therapy, so thanks. Rob & Diane, thanks also for your concise and honest reviews.

Return to “Book of Longing”