Buch der Sehnschte = Book of Longing in German (Oct 2008)

Everything about Leonard's 2006 book of poetry and Anjani's album
basecamp

Buch der Sehnschte = Book of Longing in German (Oct 2008)

Post by basecamp »

http://www.blumenbar.de/buch.php?id=14

Buch der Sehnsüchte
Publisher: Blumenbar
Language: German
Translated by: Carl Weissner, Karl Bruckmaier, Ann Cotten, Franz Dobler
Year: 2008 (October 6)
Pages: 240
Hardcover
ISBN: 9783936738452
Hi folks,
found this really nice review in the german weekly paper "jungle-world": "It is a charming and wise book full of gloom and enlightenment ...
Sorry, only in german.
Cheers!
-Hans-Juergen
http://jungle-world.com/artikel/2008/47/30461.html

Der Dandy Mönch
Platte Buch von Heike Karen Runge

Zen-Buddhismus und urbane Eleganz sind nur schwer miteinander zu vereinbaren. Stundenlange innere Versunkenheit und dem Geräusch herabfallender Tautropfen lauschen sind auch nicht die Art von Erfahrung, die den Städter in Ekstase versetzen. Der vielleicht einzige Mensch auf diesem Planeten, der die Hybridisierung hinbekommt, ist Leonard Cohen, Zen-Mönch und Dandy, der die schöne Oberfläche anbetet und zugleich im tiefen Grund schürft, der die Jazzplatte auf- und die 32er in die Schublade legt. Genau dieser Meister des phlegmatischen Charisma begegnet einem im »Buch der Sehnsüchte«, das größtenteils während Cohens fünfjährigen Aufenthalts in einem zen-buddhistischen Kloster in Kalifornien entstand. Dort ernannte sich der aus einer jüdischen Familie stammende Cohen unter dem ironisch gemeinten Namen »Jikan« – der Stille – 1996 bekanntlich zum Mönch. Die in dieser Zeit entstandenen Lyrics, Zen-Sprüche und Epigramme wurden jetzt von einer illustren, aber plausiblen Übersetzerschar, bestehend u.a. aus Carl Weissner, Wolf Wondratschek, Jens Friebe und Ann Cotten, ins Deutsche gebracht und durch Faksimiles und Zeichnungen ergänzt. Es ist ein hübsches und auch weises Buch voller Düsternis und Erleuchtung, das die wirklich wichtigen Dinge lehrt, über das Schreiben, das Reisen, das Scheitern und die Liebe, und das auch weiß, dass England die besten Männerbeine, Israel die besten Notaufnahmen und Korea das beste italienische Essen hat. Konfuzius hätte es wohl kaum besser gesagt.

Leonard Cohen: Das Buch der Sehnsüchte. Blumenbar, München 2008, 233 Seiten, 19,90 Euro
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Chubi

Re: New review of LC's "Buch der Sehnsüchte": charming and wise!

Post by Chubi »

Elke Heidenreich reviews the book in her first Internet version of "Lesen!", at http://litcolony.de/littv , at about 18 minutes.
Womanfromaroom

Re: New review of LC's "Buch der Sehnsüchte": charming and wise!

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Thanks for the link, Chubi - would never had found that on my own; I just thought, though, that Campino is not as profound as people tend to think; and that Heidenreich mistakes Cohen for a "vain" man or at least a "vain" artist - she mentions it twice! - seems strange. But still, as I have said, it is an interesting link!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
buddhaxxl

Re: Buch der Sehnschte = Book of Longing in German (Oct 2008)

Post by buddhaxxl »

As I have carefully translated Cohens Songs into German, I came across some rather bad professional translations of TNS poems of "Book Of Longing". I have the german book only. I have a special question: There is a poem called "The Faith" in the Book Of Longing: Are the words in the "Book" identical with the song of the same name (from Dear Heather)? The song lyrics: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/dearheather.html#faith
Thanks for answering!
Detlev
surrender

Post by surrender »

Welcome to the Forum, Buddhaxxl. It's nice to have a fellow zen disciple here.

The text of the Faith in the Book of Longing is the same, indeed (except of the repeats).
the faith 5.jpg
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
buddhaxxl

Post by buddhaxxl »

Thank you so much! The published German translation is awful. To publish it bilingual was much better. I guess the publishers want to avoid critical comments such as mine. But I did!
If anybody wants to have a look at my work:
http://www.leonard-cohen.info
Regards from Germany
Detlev

Return to “Book of Longing”