Reflections on Berlin

The Berlin Event - before and after
lizzytysh

Reflections on Berlin

Post by lizzytysh »

I have many memories of this wonderful Event in Berlin; however, my personal life hasn't cleared enough to formulate or commit them to words. That time will come.

For now, I want to echo Diane's sentiment with one minor change... that one of the highlights was the hilarity of sharing a room with Diane and Colleen. A variety of laughters were invoked, including ones of pure astonishment :shock: :lol: :wink: . One would be watching Colleen playfully [but successfully :wink: ] manipulate her way into having breakfast virtually delivered to her bed... not by room service, but by her roommates, primarily Diane ~ however, as Diane was the first needing to leave on our departure day, I intentionally intercepted the normal process by making it a point to go down to the lobby and bring breakfast up, including seconds on coffee. None of us would likely have the time to make the trip again, and Diane definitely didn't... and, besides, Diane had served enough :) . Unfortunately, there also wasn't time to see her off to the lobby when she left :( . It was already half past the checkout time of Noon when Colleen and I finally made it to the front desk.

Our individual and collective assessments of the quality of our room varied daily, sometimes within the hour, according to our instant needs and desires. The end result was our agreement that we'd done pretty well with our decision to stay at the Suite Hotel.

For now, the other thing is to mention some incredible photos that Diane has produced [well, other than the dance floor one, of course :wink: ], visual reflections of Berlin, that I hope she'll share here. Black-and-white and other alternatives to "colour" lend such different moods and emphasis.

One I hope to see shared here is of Ann Vriend playing head down at the keyboard in the church. The reduction of the various colours to 'simply' shimmery black and white does more than just add drama. It isolates and highlights the lighting and aspects of the environment that make it inspiringly 'church'... the arched windows, the single cross with bouquet, and the three, metal sculptures that I notice more in the photo now than I did in person. If I were Ann and putting out a cd, this is a photo I'd want included on the insert. With the trees outside, the beams of light, and the mood, it has a very special feeling.

The one of the Brandenburg Gate is given the appropriate drama with the b&w and the darkness against the contrast with the dark sky and white clouds. This gate comes with an amazing anecdote, given to us by Nicole, our walking tour guide [who ought to be a destination in herself ~ her energy, level of information, and humour are amazing 8) ], about the U.S.'s expectations :shock: regarding it and something else [maybe the sidewalk?] in the construction plans for their embassy ~ I want to be sure to get it completely straight before I share it. It's embarrassing for the U.S., that much I can say.

The next is a shot of the Holocaust Memorial... done in sobering shades of grey. This was one of many places where we simply did not have anywhere near enough time to spend there. It required a trip back to it and it worked out that there was simply not enough time for that.

The "Artwork at Opernplatz, scene of Nazi book-burning" is appropriately imposing. Darkness in the sky and clouds make the extremely-upward view of the monument of stacked books, with various, prominent authors' names on their spines, seem to reflect the bigger-than-life drama of that event... the attempt toward the total destruction of free thought.

Then, there's Sarah in interesting hues singing in the rain. I have a photo of her, too, that I really like and plan to share. Sarah has amazing brightness in her beauty.

[There's a photo of "my motor" that I'm not clear on... I didn't see the car in Berlin, and I can't identify the man or surroundings. However, the treatment of the photo is excellent, with the turquoise, old Chevrolet[?] being the only thing in colour, the rest in b&w... the city buildings, the street, the cyclists, the people, and double-decker bus. It's a sort of reverse to what the 'norm' might be, with the modern surroundings in b&w, and the car itself in colour, when the car is what represents the step back in time. It's a very nice photo.]

I hope these photos show up here. If not, I hope my descriptions will suffice for at least an unseen level of appreciation. Despite some legitimate, well-founded concerns, her camera ended up serving her well 8) . I've always felt her photos are worthy of exhibit and these are simply more evidence.

That's it for now. Before I return, perhaps some really fine photos will magically appear 8) :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Diane

Post by Diane »

Thanks for your compliments about my pics, Lizzy. I have emailed them to those whose emails I have. One of these days I'll get my pics online and find out how to copy them here. Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to see the few pics I took in Berlin just pm me your email address. Let's not talk em up too much though.

With regard to the chevvy, I took that pic when my walking tour group disappeared and I found myself lost in Berlin. When I was wandering around trying to catch sight of someone, I came across a wedding, and the chevvy was the wedding car. I took a pic of the car, and was just about to go around to the front and take another pic when the newlyweds came out and stood by it for their wedding shots, obscuring my second potential shot.

Anyways, I only found out this week, I think it was Tim who emailed to tell me, that it was a *57* chevvy. I have always wondered exactly what a 57 chevvy looked like, since I love the Clapton song, I Got a Rock n Roll Heart, which features said car. So. I am glad I got lost.

Cheers,

Diane

PS The Suite Hotel was ace.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Diane ~

Ah, yes... coming back to look for you, I remember now that story about the car and the couple. Is the guy in the photo the groom or a wedding-party person?

Okay, I'll temper my comments about the photos, but I hope others [beyond what I could see was your blind mailing list] will, at least eventually, get to see them. They're very appropriately dramatic or fanciful and are worth the view.

~ Lizzy
Laura

Re: Reflections on Berlin

Post by Laura »

lizzytysh wrote: For now, I want to echo Diane's sentiment with one minor change... that one of the highlights was the hilarity of sharing a room with Diane and Colleen. A variety of laughters were invoked, including ones of pure astonishment :shock: :lol: :wink: . One would be watching Colleen playfully [but successfully :wink: ] manipulate her way into having breakfast virtually delivered to her bed... not by room service, but by her roommates,
I'm really sorry that from everything that happened on the Event your most poignant memory is the one about breakfast delivery, Lizzy (I must suppose that, since it is the first one you talk about). It sounds to me like the Event wasn't really that great for you...
I'm also sorry because this seems to be the only memory that everyone has... where are the reports, the talking about it, the sharing of memories?! Where is that great, great friendship and craziness and happiness feeling that we shared? Or was it all just my illusion? I still miss everyone...

Laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Laura ~

I'm sorry, too, that this is your inaccurate supposition, not allowing for anything else going on in my life. As trips per se go, this was easily the most difficult and personally challenging one I've ever taken. One of those where everything that can go... [wrong], did go... [wrong]. Everyone needs a trip like this in their life, though, so they can better and more fully appreciate the one[s] where everything goes right. When I say trip, though, I don't mean just Berlin. It included long before and then just getting out of the U.S.; Athens; Poland; Berlin; Athens; Hydra; Athens; and then getting back to and being in the U.S. The whole thing. The Event in Berlin was a rainbow.

Ksenia, Hydriot, and others were rainbows; but that was Hydra, where there was more that was difficult. Pre-Event in Poland, Justyna and Pawel, along with others, were vibrant colours, too.

Until I can find the time to write more than what was quick and easy on Berlin, please feel free to share your own memories here... right here. I would love to read them. Seriously.

~ Lizzy
Laura

Post by Laura »

lizzytysh wrote: Until I can find the time to write more than what was quick and easy on Berlin, please feel free to share your own memories here... right here. I would love to read them. Seriously.
I had already started writing that, as you can see; it's just that it is difficult writing to do and it took me much longer than it took you to reply to me. I used my own thread, because this is yours and about your memories, and I don't seem to relate to them at all.
I wish you didn't take what I said as a personal attack. I very rarely attack people (and you will certainly know when I decide to do that). I prefer to think everyone has a side that I might like, even if I haven't found it yet. Wars may appear in Cohen's song, but life is too short too make yourself bitter with them. All I was doing was simply to express my sadness-and somehow my amazement- because out of such a great Event there seems to be so little left.

Laura
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Laura,

I remember nothing about the Event except trying to get Colleen out of bed each day. It took all my energies, and it was entirely her fault that we were late for everything :) .

Seriously, I am glad you had such a good time at the Event. I think we all have fantastic memories of it. I know Lizzy does because we shared quite a few of them. I wrote a few words here about the highlights for me as soon as I returned from my travels. It was fantastic to spend time with Leonard people. To write in detail would be far too great a task, for me at least. The great majority of the people who attended do not write here at all, so that may be one of the reasons for the lack of accounts! The main thing was Being There. I have read your account in your thread you started and thanks for reminding me about the amazing young Friedeman. Laura Facci too, I could not praise enough. I hope we will be able to get a recording of her singing Lover Lover Lover, it was incredible, wasn't it.

Take care,

Diane
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hell, I wish I'd had the opportunity to go. Laura and I would still be there ... I hope y'all can make it for the one in Edmonton. I'm shining my fingernails on my lapels, as I have to travel so little (finally!) - :)

Linda.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Linda :) , You missed a Fine event in Berlin. It's great that Edmonton is close to you. I can already tell that I am going to be sick as a parrot if I don't make it...

Diane
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

It sounds like I'm going to be one sick parrot if I do make it! :wink: - sounds like a good time was had by all...uh...pics, someone point me toward pics...

Glad you guys made it, with all the mess at Heathrow. Looking forward to pics...pics...

See you,
Linda.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Jarkko has the entertainment pics on the front page and I believe he is in the process of getting all the people pics ready. If you poke around in this section you will find links to plenty of pics. Dick and Dr Kim have quite few somewhere, for example (sorry to be so vague, I can't find them right now, but I know they are here). (Remember that conversation we had about never being able to find anything :wink: .)

You have changed your "location", Linda. I trust the move was a happy one. Assuming you have not moved email, I will send you some of my pics.

See you later,

Diane
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

I remember especially that I never had the nerve to ask Lizzy to dance with me.....maybe next time
:oops: Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
Paula

Post by Paula »

I still feel sick as a parrot that I couldn't go. Peter its probably just as well you didn't ask Lizzie to dance she would have been too late for the start of the dance, distracted throughout it and writing postcards on your back at the end.

Many many thanks for the postcard :lol:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I still feel sick as a parrot that I couldn't go. Peter its probably just as well you didn't ask Lizzie to dance she would have been too late for the start of the dance, distracted throughout it and writing postcards on your back at the end.

Many many thanks for the postcard :lol: .
That's one of the best responses I've seen to anything involving me in a long time, Paula :lol: .

You're welcome, of course :) . My [our] pleasure :D . I only wish you'd been there.

Love,
Lizzie
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I remember especially that I never had the nerve to ask Lizzy to dance with me.....maybe next time

:wink: No problem, Peter :) . You seemed more than a bit distracted 8) .

~ Lizzy

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”