No Berlin for me...

The Berlin Event - before and after
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Jarkko surely MUST have Michael's address, but if you will PM me with it, Michael, I know I'll have it. A postcard for sure, Paul.

Well, I'll make it to Berlin, but who knows what the future holds... [I'm still the one who would be the next to 'go' due to lack of seniority. This was our surprize :shock: news, yesterday... a quick meeting called for us to talk about what it does, and hopefully doesn't, mean. No one is really sure. They've already closed 2 or 3 offices and laid off people, a couple months ago [made it through that one, too... but the good cards may be running out :? ].

It is apparent to our head honcho here that this 'resignation' was not responded to with much 'regret' and was not self-initiated, as there have been ongoing, major, philosophical differences... and we have now just lost the one person "in touch with reality," to quote the head honcho, who was visibly upset by this development. Everyone's shared concern regarding the overall implications was, it seems, demonstrated with the too 'hearty' laughter when the honcho said, "Oh, and Elizabeth... your vacation is cancelled... :wink: " and I said, " ... or extennnded ."
It is with regret that I announce the resignation of . . . as Chief Operating Officer . . . effective immediately .

Over the balance of this week . . . and I will be visiting each [location] to outline the plan for moving . . . forward. You are all aware of the dynamic . . . market we are experiencing here in Florida. Job growth over the last few years has been tremendous. Our current infrastructure is 10 years old and was designed at a time when unemployment was much higher as were both . . . Due to the success of the services you deliver on a daily basis and our very strong economy, . . . demand for our services and our . . . is down dramatically. . . are down 28% from just two years ago.

This change in the labor market and the changing demands of our business customers creates the need for us to alter our structure and focus. Our mission is and will always remain: . . . The manner in which we make those connections must serve the needs of our business community while enhancing . . .

We have also experienced a significant reduction in our overall funding during the past four years. These reductions accelerate, but do not drive the need for changes in our infrastructure and service delivery.

I look forward to meeting with you all this week.
From what I've seen here, and in general, 'job security' is pretty much a thing of the past.

~ Lizzy
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

Hi Lizzy,

Speaking of lack of job security, I've been down the same road myself a couple of times in the past several years. Both times, things eventually turned around for the better and I ended up far better off - I guess sometimes dark clouds really do have silver linings.

Don't lose heart. You seem like a very skilled and talented person, so I am sure that things will work out for you one way or the other.
It's been my experience that people who are productive, sincere and hard working are much sought after in the workforce and are usually not without work for very long. I'll certainly keep my fingers crossed. And I'm looking forward to meeting you in Berlin.

Best regards,
Sherry
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Sherry ~

I look forward to meeting you in Berlin, too :D . You're right, and I've been that road, too... with outcomes as you've described 8) . You could've given input to Ania a while back, too. It's really true, isn't it? However, at this point in my life, I need my outcomes to be more of my own choice :wink: . Just a want a little smooth sailing, if at all possible :) .

More assurances came today from the head honcho, though that one feels concern for self, as well :wink: ... and the big, corporate three are coming on Friday to talk to all of us. Everyone district-wide is apparently feeling unnerved by this.

So far, so good... and please keep those fingers crossed :wink: .

~ Lizzy :D
Ilse

Post by Ilse »

Hi Lizzy,
I'm almost in the same situation as you are. I lost my job last winter, and found a new one just 2 months later. Now we lost 2 major clients, and I'm the last one to come in the company so I also wil be the first one out. But until that happend I'm trying not to think abouth it, and as my husband always says "het komt allemaal goed". (what means; it wil always turn out richt). I wil be thinking about you, and I see you this weekend.
Regards Ilse
Paul

Post by Paul »

I was delighted to receive postcard greetings from Berlin in the mail today.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and generosity of spirit, from the signatories, which accompanied the card. That all the usual suspects were involved really adds value.
--
Thanks heaps,
Paul.
Natalie

No Berlin for me. . .

Post by Natalie »

Hello everyone,

Now that I know Michael (one of my favourite Cohenites) didn't go to Berlin, I don't feel so bad that I could not attend, either. This summer has been all about work . . .

How was the event in Berlin? How did it compare to the others? Dan and I will definitely go to the one in Edmonton, since it's my hometown, and an hour and a half plane ride.

We were thoroughly disappointed that we couldn't go, and we really miss everyone.

Anyway, "I'm Your Man" is playing Victoria this week, so we hope to find the time to see that.

Sigh . . .

Natalie
:cry:
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Natalie et al,
No Berlin for me neither :cry:
Edmonton in 2008.....now that's a thought :)
If I can't make that, I'm not worth the paper my poetry's printed on.
I've never been to Canada.....yet.
I'll get there, somehow. Canada is west of Edinburgh, and roughly the same latitude, I think.

I hope to see you all in 2008, but let's keep in touch in the meantime.

Andrew.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Andrew it is too bad you were not there. It is also too bad that Michael, Ali, Margaret and John, Linda Lakeside, Bee, Celine, Jason, Tri-Me, Fljots, and also my LC friends from home; Wendy, John and Phil could not be there. And everyone else on here. :( . Surely Jarkko should make it compulsory to attend. I vote that it be compulsory to attend events.

Diane

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”