Football World Cup 2006

The Berlin Event - before and after
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

It was good to see the first round of the Inter Toto Cup began today (Hibs won)
To err is human
To forgive is against government policy

JTS
Henning

Post by Henning »

Hey Pete - when will you ever learn that there are teams who love to play a final, or even a semi-final - not all are quarter final fetishists - you short-sighted cohen fan.
Diane

Post by Diane »

The dream has died. Again. But, never mind, the Tour de France is underway, and the weather is fantastic. Can't have everything.

Germany to win, now, Henning; you are good team who play fair. And if you do triumph, won't there be a fantastic buzz in Berlin when we arrive 8) .

Diane
Diane

Post by Diane »

I said:
never mind

Say it often enough, might even start believing it.
Henning

Post by Henning »

In a fantastic match between Germany and Italy we saw Italy as the winner. Football is the most exciting game in the world. Forza Italia !!!!!
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

Henning.. thought of you a lot today, after I heard of Germany's loss to Italy. I wondered how you were feeling... tried to call this afternoon, but the phone just rang and rang. Anyway, I figured you were happy for Andrea and Marco. Seems you and Elke have no message machine, still. Well... I figured you were out drinking beer, which, as we all know, in Germany, is chemical free... :--). "Beer" - according to Mark Knopfler. Or maybe you were playing cards with Barbara and Thomas, and maybe you got Barbara to cook you some spaghetti (which all of you washed down with beer) - and would definitely make you feel better. I'm sorry Barbara and Thomas will be on holiday during the event.. I would like to see them again. Regardless... very soon, all the world will know about German beer.. well, CohenWorld, anyway. (Is there any other... ?) World, that is. Hardly any worth mentioning...

Anyway.. thinking of you, good and dear friend.

Bobbie
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I thought of the same three people when I heard the news today of Germany's loss to Italy... Elke didn't factor in because the last I heard, she'd unplugged the TV and poured the beer down the sink :wink: . I also didn't think of the couple whom I've never met. However, I did wonder how you were feeling, Henning... and how Andrea and Marco were feeling. It looks like your good sportsmanship is solidly in place... the point has been made over here that the U.S. needs to be less competitive and be content with a tie... something that Europeans can rejoice in when it comes to the World Cup. U.S. seems to be beginning to understand it ~ at least a bit. Diane came to mind, too, as the rejoicing when we hit Berlin won't be happening, at least not as a result of the World Cup. Germany still has a lot to offer the world 8) .

Hugs,
Lizzy
Henning

Post by Henning »

A sportsgame is about losing and winning. I mean, I did my best to avoid this defeat, for instance I warned Lino before and threatened with another 10 years boycott of his hair-dressers salon in case Italy will win. But it didn't help. Italy hit Germany shortly before closing time when there was no time to react. Clever, clever.

I'll be in Berlin from Thursday on to meet with the Event team and fix final details. I'll give Andrea and Marco my regards and maybe together we will watch the grande finale on Sunday.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yeah, the description of their scores sounded pretty exciting, I must say! Well, now the Brits and the Germans can commisserate on this... and Elke[?] can continue doing your hair.

I enjoy seeing good sportsmanship.

~ Lizzy
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Henning wrote:In a fantastic match between Germany and Italy we saw Italy as the winner. Football is the most exciting game in the world. Forza Italia !!!!!
I applaud your generosity of spirit Henning! 8)

I'm going to travel to an established Italian community (which I love) a little way from where I live, so I can enjoy the pre-match atmosphere, before staying the night in a motel and watching the final (in the middle of the night)! :o Well I figured that was going to be the best option in terms of getting the most out of this fabulous event - hey, why not?! :D

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)

P.S. There are no equivelant French or Portuguese communities within striking distance. :wink:
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
dolphin family

berlin final game

Post by dolphin family »

Great idea Henning , we definitely will enjoy the final game with you in a Biergarten and please do remember to bring the italian flag with you ;-)
ciao and forza azzurri
marco and andrea
Henning wrote:A sportsgame is about losing and winning. I mean, I did my best to avoid this defeat, for instance I warned Lino before and threatened with another 10 years boycott of his hair-dressers salon in case Italy will win. But it didn't help. Italy hit Germany shortly before closing time when there was no time to react. Clever, clever.

I'll be in Berlin from Thursday on to meet with the Event team and fix final details. I'll give Andrea and Marco my regards and maybe together we will watch the grande finale on Sunday.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Best of luck on the match, too, Marco and Andrea!

"Dolphin family" 8) ~ I like that :D !

~ Lizzy
Henning

Post by Henning »

Berlin, July 9, 2006 it's

Italy - France

Italy, Champion 1934 and 1982
France, Champion 1998
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Congratulations to Italy! :D Commiserations to France! :(

The way Aussies are looking at the win by the new World Champions is that we didn't do too badly at the World Cup, as we were only beaten 1-0 by Italy (and then in quite controversial circumstances)! :wink:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Guess I'll put this over here where it belongs :D :
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The World Cup goes to ITALY !!! Congratulations, Andrea and Marco !!

I've been listening to how it ended so excitingly... the celebrators in the background as the commentator was describing it. Excellent!

Glad to see you put your victory over Germany to such great use!!!

Love,
Lizzy
You're right, too, Andrew... Commisserations [by proxy, via Andrew] to you, France :( . That's the only 'trouble' with sports... for every happy guy, there's a sad one.

At least, by all reports, it was an exciting game 8) ... at least there at the end :shock: .

~ Lizzy

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”