How to improve your German

The Berlin Event - before and after
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

How to improve your German? Take him on a culture trip to Underhill to watch the Mighty Bees, of course.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Mickey, can you play footie, or only watch it? Cos we will need a good England team if Henning gives the go-ahead.

Diane
Henning

Post by Henning »

Diane, that's even more interesting.

We play "Best out of 5" and in my generosity I suggest that for the large English team it is allowed that 2 guys always shoot at the same time. That would give England a totally new shoot-out feeling and a real chance to compete with the strong football nations.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hey, Diane :D ~

So much for German through the local, used book store ~ "In the 30 years I've been in business here, there has been only one, German dictionary come in. This is a small town, you know." ~ "Oh, yes, I know... however, people retire and move here from up north; they die, and their relatives give their books to used book stores." ~ "None have come in here and I've been here 30 years. You might want to try Gainesville. It's a college town."

Thirty (30) years, Diane, 30 years :shock: . Need I say more :? ?

Keep those phrases coming. Meanwhile, I picked up a nice book on Yoga ~ nice, practical, some meditations and info on health in other aspects, as well; one on limericks [whoa :shock: ~ got some doozies there :lol: ] ~ very interesting book; and one on "Shakespeare's Language [A Glossary of Unfamiliar Words in His Plays and Poems]" ~ very interesting, too.

So, keep those phrases coming, Diane :D .

Love,
Lizzy :D
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Lizzy,

Thirty years?? What? Three double-O ?? Well, knock me down with a feather. Sounds like you got some other goodies from the store, however (note I said 'store' - I am losing count of how many languages I now speak 8) ).

I have printed off my first German list and have been subjecting my husband and son to the phrases. German is a wonderful language to pronounce, isn't it? I do so hope I frequently have to refer to the airport, for example, whilst we are in Berlin. More phrases coming soon.

Henning:
That would give England a totally new shoot-out feeling and a real chance to compete with the strong football nations.
Let's see, when you have to eat your words, would you like to do it in German or English?

Diane
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

No, dear [I'll need to see the film before I vie for which I want you/me to be ~ Thelma or Louise, or whether we'll just alternate at will] ~ however, it's Three~single 0! Long enough, as it is... we can let the other 270 go. So, you would say shop instead of store? Used bookshop?

Yes~! I need to print mine and begin... my cats, will they understand? Perhaps, my dog? Well, at least he'll look at me like he does :lol: . Too bad we can't count on that in Berlin... :D .

Love,
Lizzy
Henning

Post by Henning »

Diane, your comment gave me a bright smile today. I promise to eat them in both languages. But it is easy to promise things when chances to lose are below zero.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Lizzy,
it's Three~single 0!
Ahem. Oh yeah, so it is. Moving swiftly on:

Yes, we'd say 'book shop'. Although I quite like 'store'. We tend to like the less familiar, don't we?

I didn't know you had a dog as well as cats. I hope they get along. Did you practice your German on them :D ?

Obviously I have lied to myself about how quickly I would learn my German phrases, and then post some more. I know about half so far.

Here is the beginning of a food list, starting with a bit of useful info:

In Germany the main meal of the day is lunch - Mittagessen. Breakfast - Frühstück - is also often a substantial meal. Look out for breakfast buffets - Frühstücksbüffet.

I'm a vegetarian: Ich bin Vegetarier/-in (ikh bin vegetarier/in)

What is in this? Was ist das? (vas ist das)

I'll have this: Ich nehme das (ikh nay-me das)

I'd like... Ich mochte...(Ikh mu(r)khte(r)...)

a mineral water: ein mineralwasser (eyn mineral-vasser)

a beer: ein bier (eyn beer)

The bill, please, Zahlen, bitte (tsah-len bi-te)

(more to follow)
Diane, your comment gave me a bright smile today. I promise to eat them in both languages. But it is easy to promise things when chances to lose are below zero.
I'll put the salt and pepper on for you, Henning, and buy you ein bier to wash them down with :) .

Diane
margaret

Post by margaret »

I found a nice small and lightweight German phrasebook today for only 99p.

Lizzy, let me know if you'd like me to get one for you, so you can practice a bit. It seems there's not much chance of you finding one where you live!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ah, Margaret! The price is right, the size is right ~ Yes, absolutely ~ and thank you!!! I've also tried to copy Diane's first list to Word, and then print it from there, to save printing the entire thread :shock: ~ and my printer [at work!] isn't working, so Diane ~ no, I haven't tried any on my dog, yet! Nor anyone else for that matter!

Might you also send along a Brit English to American English guide with it :lol: , since I'll probably need to know what it is I'm saying in 'English,' as well :lol: . Or, did they do a more generic version with it :) ?
This one made me laugh ~ I hope you're ready for the barrage of ingredients, spoken in German, once you ask :lol: . As they say, be careful what you ask for; you just might get it :wink: ~ doubtfully intended in this context, but I'll bet once you ask, you'll think it fits :wink: !

Sorry on that "0" correction :P .

~ Lizzy still :lol:
Pawel Gorny

Post by Pawel Gorny »

Forget about all this sentences! You need only 2 words! wurst & bier :wink:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes ~ It is a long way to Tipperary! It may also be a long way home, if those are the only two words we go knowing :lol: .

~ Lizzy
margaret

Post by margaret »

Liz,

I'll see if I can get another copy to send you.

I just found out last week that Easyjet.com are starting flights between Liverpool and Krakow in April. I wish they had announced this a bit sooner, when I was booking my Berlin flights. :( I wanted to include Krakow in my trip after Berlin but there was no reliable airline at that time to get me home from there. Ah well, I'll have to make a separate trip there another time :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, SCHOOT, Margaret!!! I'm going there first! But, that makes no difference with you ~ unless you wanted to switch your flight somehow.

Thanks on the dictionary ~ let me know what you find out on it.

Love,
Lizzy
Ali

Post by Ali »

I found a good translation service.

Henning wird alle mein Hotel bezahlen, resturant und Staberechungen in Berlin.

Is this correct Henning?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.freetranslation.com/
ALI
X
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilage it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to live." ....... Marcus Aurelius

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”