How to improve your German

The Berlin Event - before and after
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Henning ~

How do you say "Final approval is required before we can proceed" in German?

You're needed in the Member's Poetry section, in the thread about there being a topic for the Poetry Competition.

If you choose to bypass translating the sentence and simply go with the answer, English will be accepted :wink: .

Thanks!

~ Lizzy
Henning

Post by Henning »

Diane

Post by Diane »

All I could do with that link, Henning, was look at the pictures, and the first two are pretty fine.

Lizzy, mein kumpel, I have been so very lax with my German-learning. How are you getting on? Sollen wir diesen baum umarmen stattdessen 8) ?

Love, (what is German for 'love'?)

Diane
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Abyssmal, my German studies, Diane.

Today, I've been hunting a fast boat to Hydra ~ to no avail. Anyone any idea what's going on with that?
Wybe
Site Admin

Dutch - German

Post by Wybe »

http://www.knvb.nl/multimedia/cursusduits/les1

Here you learn some important things to say in German. :D

enjoy yourself,

Wybe
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Wybe,

That is a good website, because you can listen to how the phrases sound.

The only trouble is, there is no English translation. So we won't know what we are talking about :shock: .

Anyway, I was thinking how much more interesting it would be to forget about how to order a beer and a sausage and instead learn an idiom or two. So I had a google:

The English idiom 'to make a mountain out of a molehill' is 'aus einer Mücke einen Elefanten machen' (to make an elephant out of a mosquito) in German. Please advise how that converts to the imperative, "Don't make an elephant out of a mosquito". Danke.

Diane
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/sinking-p1.php

This may be of interest to those who have booked the boat trip.

Ta Ken
Diane

Post by Diane »

Ken, that is so funny :lol: .

That laugh makes up for how this poxy computer keeps cutting me off the internet tonight. Thanks.

Diane :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, geez :lol: ... just checked Ken's link... who knows what we're really going to be saying, eh, Diane :wink: ?

How do you say, "I'm not working at the moment" in German :shock: ? I may need that phrase :roll: . Another round of layoffs in our company, including downsizing to the extent that two offices are closing and going to much smaller locations, with decreased level of services. One program in our office lost its funding, which means two [wonderful!!] people will be gone next week, and another program is threatened in the same direction, which would mean a third, equally-caring person gone. In my particular unit, I AM the newest kid on the block... sooooo............ given these major happenings, I would not be surprized. Concern is being felt everywhere in the office. So, how does that phrase go?? As an alternative ~ "I've taken an early retirement." :wink:

Glad my plane fares are paid and some of my hotels. May be time for some serious dieting and tiny, "It's the thought that counts" souvenirs for myself and others, with no marathon postcard writing. Postage adds up :shock: .

Ey yi yi.

04/19/06 ~ Oh my... just found out another person from this office is 'gone' ~ the person who told me said, "She's gone... and she has another job, but I'm not sure which happened first."

~ Lizzy
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Lizzy,

Ken's link really appeals to my sense of humour.

Oh dear, losing your job wouldn't be good :( . I'll check out the German for, "Can we wash the dishes in payment for this meal." I hope you either keep your job, or find another one, or, even better, take an affordable early retirement.

It's not that long until we'll need to put all these new phrases into practice 8) .

Love,

Diane
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, here's hoping. We had a meeting day Wednesday morning and the Center director said that the budget for this coming year turned out to be $1.2 million less than expected, "but they're telling us there won't be any layoffs." No one is believing them, however, since that's what they've said every other time preceding layoffs. Don't know why they can't get it together with that honesty thing. We suspect it's because they fear mass exodus if we really know what's going on. So, we'll see... I'm guessing something would be done pre-July 1st. Unfortunately, in my unit, I'm the one who would most likely be laid off. Avon, anyone :wink: ? I'd already begun checking into retirement/Social Security benefits and costs. My timing may be right on.

Come on Athens, Cracow, Berlin, and Hydra.

~ Lizzy
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Lizzy

Once you have mastered the German language the next step is trying to understand the German sense of humour.

Believe me this ain't an easy ride, but you may find this link a good starting point.

http://www.german-jokes.com/gjd.html

Ta Ken
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Sorry about that, Ken... I laughed about this long ago, but failed to express it at the time...

So, I'll just do that now ~ :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Already 'got' the 'German' sense of humour... wish I were so facile with the language :) .

~ Lizzy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

After the above-mentioned meeting on 05/10/06, where we were assured there would be no layoffs, despite the massive, budget shortfall, and my comment was that, based on past experience here, noone believes these assurances, this is the email all of us received yesterday:

After reading this [all names changed to X, protect the innocent :wink: ], perhaps you can understand where I'm at with this on-the-job trust level:
Sadly, I must let you all know that due to budget cuts, the X [the place] vans will go away as of July 1. This means that X's [the person] last day with us will be June 30. Please do all you can to help X [the person] find placement elsewhere.

This also means that we need to start informing our clients and making modifications to our participation and schedules.

Anyone interested in purchasing the X [the place] van, please let me know. I will let you know prices as soon as I get the info.
Ohhkay, rest easy tonite, knowing your job will be there tomorrow... or at least till the end of next month [if not sooner].

This has been the standard [not the exception] pattern of layoffs. False assurances have preceded layoffs.

Still hoping for the best. It's all I can do.

~ Lizzy
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Lizzy

Hang in there girl.

Ta Ken

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”