Steve Smith

This section is for any other poetry-related topics
Cate

Re: Steve Smith

Post by Cate »

It is very cool that this 10 year old thread has come back again, I hope to one day read one of Steve's poems.
Charles Axelrod

Post by Charles Axelrod »

I have a copy of Steve Smith's God's Kaleidoscope that my mother gave me more than 40 years ago. It was a copy he signed and in which he wrote a dedication to my mother. She was his private duty nurse at Montreal's Jewish General Hospital in the course of his cancer - his amputation (hence the line: "One foot in the grave, and I am my own remains"), and later when the cancer returned. He died in his twenties I believe. I have read the book many times over the years. A few of the poems are very dear to me.

Sincerely,
Chuck Axelrod
charles.axelrod@umanitoba.ca
YItzMitz

Post by YItzMitz »

This is photo of Steve Smith in the 1960 Annual of West Hill High School in Montreal's NDG area.
Steve Smith at WHHS (1960).jpg
CalvinKalman

Post by CalvinKalman »

Like Fred Rozenzweig I also knew Steve Smith. We were both at West Hill High School and then again at McGill. It is a tragedy that he died of cancer at such a young age. I read all of his poems and around 1963, he introduced me to works by James Baldwin that had a profound influence on me.
Calvin S. Kalman, Westmount
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Thanks for posting in this thread, I've very much enjoyed reading all the posts from the start. I somehow missed this conversation earlier. Very interesting read.

All the best
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
JackieRobinson

Post by JackieRobinson »

I think it's been several years this post was created but I figure I'd still try to get some more information...

I was given a lot of poetry books for my project and found some amazing ones from the 50 and up to 1971. They are all new copies never sent out, some are still in the original packaging and new which is odd for old books like these...

While doing some research on the books and poets and found this post...Steve Smith, Leonard Cohen are among the poets in these books and I figured I was going to ask if you ever herd of these ''Delta'' books from Louis Dudek ?

I have a copie in my hand of Delta 23 with 4 poems from Steve Smith named ''Zion'', "Ars poetica", In your garden, i wait" and "Memo to the rehabilitation institute of Montreal.

I have the Delta 1 that was issued in 1957 and all other numbers it seems

Return to “Other Writers and Writing”