Ithaca. P Cavafy

This section is for any other poetry-related topics
mat james

Ithaca. P Cavafy

Post by mat james »

I know Leonard is a fan of Cavafy and this little animated version of Cavafy's "Ithaca" is simply beautiful.
As a little intro to those unfamiliar with Homer's Odyssey,
Ithaca was the island home Odysseus sailed for after the battle for Troy. It took him 20 years or so to get home and what adventures he had; and still we have Homer's wonderful story, The Odyssey thousands of years later.
Odysseus was the guy who invented the "Trojan Horse". He was cunning and wily; traits the Greeks apparently admire much even to this day.
Go the Greeks!
Go you and I, on our own journeys/adventures to our own Ithaca.

Enjoy,
MatbbgJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7MV2LIvSA
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
pink_is_dead
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Re: Ithaca. P Cavafy

Post by pink_is_dead »

This is a wonderful animated video of possibly the greatest poem ever. Thank you.
Strangers passing in the street,
by chance to seperate glances meet,
and I am you and what I see is me.
Cate

Post by Cate »

I'm not sure what I think of the animation but an excellent recital of a truly great poem.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I love this poem, I have a copy of it hanging on my wall! Interesting video, thanks.
Diane

Post by Diane »

So uplifting, Mat. Much enjoyed the recital, thanks!
mat james

Post by mat james »

Hi Diane, Lisa, Cate and pink...,

...several youtube-people have also posted their compilations; and to the voice of Sean Connery, ...the music of Vangelis.
It is interesting and instructive to me how each different reading highlights a different word, a different thought.
I could listen to this poem for hours, over and over and feel that rare appreciation of a life lived differently; a life lived well.... "The road less taken", so to speak.
One youtube comment I read stated that listening to the poem stopped that reader from contemplating suicide....what a poem!

The life of the artist/poet/musician/sculptor/etc is usually vastly under-appreciated by those around them; and sadly, by themselves as well; by the sound of that comment.
But the comment was real and so positive that I learn again to appreciate and to love myself, and my journey.

MatbbgJ
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hi Mat, thanks for sharing that lovely story and its impact on you.

Life can be an amazing and wonderful journey, particularly when we focus upon and allow ourselves to appreciate and enjoy the beauty that exists all around and within us.

Take care!
Lisa
Diane

Post by Diane »

mat james wrote: I could listen to this poem for hours, over and over...
Me too!
mat james wrote: The life of the artist/poet/musician/sculptor/etc is usually vastly under-appreciated...I learn again to appreciate and to love myself, and my journey.
Rumi wrote:Your sweet blasphemy
is the truest devotion.
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

in the daily mail there's an `answers to correspondents` column (compiled by charles legge).

on july 16th marcus brightman from st neots in cambridgeshire replied to someone who posed a leonard/cavafy question.

QUESTION At a Leonard Cohen concert, he said his song Alexandra Leaving was based on a poem by a famous Greek poet. Who was this, and which poem?

the reply is way too long for me to type out but partial extract at link below.

i didn't see the original question when posed so i don't know who posed it.

i don't know if any other people responded; i don't read the mail every day.

alas, the `answers to correspondents` column doesn't appear on the mail website.

any queries - contact charles.legge@dailymail.co.uk

http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-3369 ... espondents
rpan

Ithaca "For Leonard Cohen" - Theo Dorgan

Post by rpan »

Some of you may like to listen to a beautiful reading of a beautiful poem Ithaca, being read by the poet Theo Dorgan.

This poem is dedicated "For Leonard Cohen" and he makes a few remarks about that in this video, just up on my university website

http://youtu.be/0IMIew9xf4w
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin

Return to “Other Writers and Writing”