I am old in this green ocean
Going a final time to the rose.

North wind, until I reach it
Keep your icy breath away
That changes pollen into dust.
Let me be drunk on this scent a final time,
Then blow if you must.

by Brian Patten (contemporary poet)
("Brian Patten made his name in the 1960s as one of the Liverpool Poets, alongside Adrian Henri and Roger McGough.")
http://literature.britishcouncil.org/brian-patten

I stumbled on this honeyed verse a few weeks ago.
I am enchanted by this little poem and this brave and accepting little bee.
What a journey from the joy of early life in the first two lines to the blissful scented and glorious exit with the rose.
"Let me be drunk on this scent a final time,"

(Come to think of it; I often feel this "drunk" while losing myself in the music and poetry of Leonard Cohen.)
...La la, la la la la la la...dance me, to the end of love...

Oh to be that bee!

MatbeebeegJ
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
Steven

Re: The bee’s last journey to the rose

Postby Steven » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the opportunity for us to savor the poem and the journey(s) it bespeaks. Appreciate the analogy
to L.C.'s music and poetry... you aren't alone in those feelings. There's honey in some journeys and some
points of arrival. This forum is a nexus (hive) to savor some journeys and honey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_basket
lonndubh

Postby lonndubh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 am

Hello Mat.
I love this poem and am now imagining a drunken bumble bee :D
mat james

Postby mat james » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:47 pm

... and the idea of settling into the scent
the rose
while all drifts back into stardust
...contemporaneously...
drunk sublime in a gentle spin,
with an echo of Leonard in the mix;
musing
just a bees whisker from some pollinating Presence...

...ah! the mystery of transience 8)

hi Steven and Lonndubh
:)
bbg
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
Mike McNamara

Postby Mike McNamara » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Funny. I'm a long time fan of Cohen's but had never heard Patten's poem. I've just published an ebook via The Argotist Online and on of my reviewers said this poem reminded him of The Bee poem:

IN THE ASSEMBLY OF THE GODS
In the Assembly of Gods
the Gnostic demiurge
fits pieces together.
A pattern will emerge.

the honey bee
fallen,
laden down with
pollen,
dying on the pavement
its amber moment spent.

A frozen tree.
Imagination.
Reality.

https://www.argotistonline.co.uk/THIS%2 ... ISSION.pdf
mat james

Postby mat james » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:08 am

hi Mike,
yes, there is something beeishly otherworldly about both poems, while still being lost in the "now".

I read your book....loved the way the dog avoided "existential angst"....so true :lol:

...and this beautiful line, from your poem, Denial:
"I won't look up so passers by can see
all those things the seasoned years have stripped away from me."

I love it,

Mat James.
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:26 pm

Hi Mat
It’s been awhile.
You got me thinking about that poor little bee that wants the North Wind to slow it’s progress.
Well that North Wind is coming from Alaska and it’s picking up speed. You don’t have to believe me, you can ask Mr. Dylan and he will tell you
“ The pistols are poppin' and the power is down
I'd like to try somethin' but I'm so far from town
The sun keeps shinin' and the North Wind keeps picking up speed
Gonna forget about myself for a while, gonna go out and see what others need”

I still cherish the Christ of St. John of the Cross as I’m sure you do. I did make it through that dark night and although it is still dark it is past midnight and I can see the new day coming with that wind from the North. I live in Vancouver and so Alaska is North for me.
Have you ever heard of St. Herman of Alaska ?
Dylan mentions him in that very same song that I quoted from above. One of the things that he is known for is his orphanages where First Nation people brought their orphans because they knew they could trust him to care for them like he had cared for all their family. It’s a beautiful story.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
mat james

Postby mat james » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:12 am

Hi Jack!
Wow, long time...

Yeh, San Juan is a champ.
As is that little bee...in each of us.. ;)

Poetically, since Mike's post above, I have been toying with the idea of the buddha in the bee, or more accurately, the bee in the buddha...
...the buzz
the hum
humming and om-ing
in and out of the eternal...the mortal...
perspectives of bee-ing

the two trees of genesis
cross-pollinating
beeing
from that thou art
to i am Who AM

Juan-ing

all the while just beeing .........me

sauntering...
Good to drift into a Walden Pond moment with you again, Jack.

Mat J.
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:04 am

mat james wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:12 am
I have been toying with the idea of the buddha in the bee, or more accurately, the bee in the buddha...
...the buzz
the hum
The fat Buddha or the skinny Buddha?

The reason I ask is that I was buying some whiskey yesterday and the guy in front of me was telling the cashier that there was a jade Buddha that he wanted to buy and I asked him if it was the skinny Buddha or the Fat Buddha. He looked at me puzzled and said it was a fat Buddha and I told him that what he wanted then was the Laughing Buddha who became fat because he was so handsome and it was distracting others from the more genuine Buddha. He said that he didn’t know that.
Anyway the difference interested me and got me thinking about a very good doctor here in town who extolled the benefits of being thin. I convinced myself that the doctor in question would have a fat Buddha on his premises and so I went there today to see for myself.
I forgot my glasses at home but looked around anyway (the doctor had a little naturopath business) and search as I might I didn’t see any Buddha and I was about to walk out the door when the doctor came out of his office and so I chatted with him a bit and then asked him if he had any Buddha’s hanging around then he told me that as a matter of fact he did and pointed to a very small skinny Buddha atop a shelf in the receptionist area. Since I didn’t have my glasses they brought it from the shelf for me to look at and then I asked him if he also had a fat Buddha and he said he did and went to his office to fetch a very large fat Buddha that he said he had on his desk. We talked for a while and I think he found something interesting and worthwhile about some of the things I was saying to him because he made an appointment for me to return next week which is when he will have the cameras ready so he can make a YouTube video of me talking to share with his patients and followers.
I knew that fat Buddha would be there because it is just too good a joke for it to not eventually happen. I think he will laugh when he finally realizes why it is there.
His place of business is at https://divineelements.ca/
He and his wife are a very attractive couple and it is at their website that the video of me will be eventually shown.
mat james

Postby mat james » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 am

...po...
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:27 am

mat james wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 am
...po...
???
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 am

There is something that confuses me about the poem and subsequent discussion. I have been wondering if the writer has taken the time to learn how bees actually behave and what are the different roles for male and female bees.
Knowing these things help metaphors work.

Here Dylan shows how the bee metaphor can work

A gal named honey
she took my money
she was passing by
It’s soon after midnight
And the moon was in my eye
I’m never fearful
my heart is cheerful
I’ve been down
on the killing floors
I’m in no hurry
I’m not afraid
of the fury
I’ve faced stronger
walls than yours
mat james

Postby mat james » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 am

Hi Jack,
thanks for the fascinating conversation/challenge :D 8)
...your fat and skinny Buddha business is an interesting and entertaining tangent...but in my Po post I thought I would simply let you get on with your story :)
Interestingly, I have several Buddha's in my home, fat, skinny, thoughtful and of course a laughing fellow as well; (both a figurine and a painting which was given to me).

My happy-fat guys are very Chinese looking and I have seen him in one fatty-form or another in China and Japan; the Far East.
The Chinese are very practical people and if a person is fat, then they are not starving and so I suppose in ancient and not-so diabetic-conscious- days were perceived to be blessed with/by good fortune and so were; Happy!

The skinny Buddha looks S.East Asian rather than Indian, and, as Gautama Buddha was Nepalese, it is no doubt a closer resemblance to the original man; that skinny, fasting lay-about spoiled Prince who sat so still for so long that he bored himself out of existence .....and into the eternal perspective...while surfing through the Omm-Hum-buzzing Bee zone.
- by the way I think most bees are drones...(the Queen sounds a bit girly though...but who knows these days? Let's just say that she is a prolific egg layer...)

so as one who is slightly confused about a subject and the intent of the initiator (Jack L) of said subject does, I cheated;
and googled fat and skinny Buddhas!

All enlightened beings are Buddhas and how or when one gets "there" is their business...and our little Bee is in the mix also, as far as I am concerned. Though it seems less interested in "reason"-ing truth than simply "bee-ing" Truth.

As for the "Po" word.
Edward deBono wrote a book, "Beyond yes and no; Po!" or something like that title and your story about fit and fat Buddhas reminded me of the essence of Budhistic thought...which, as I understand it, is to train the mind not to always "enter the opposites" when invited to do so;... so Po!...was a way of reminding myself of the Nirvanic position beyond the opposites of black and white or good and evil or even fat and skinny!
In the end even Nirvana is "illusion".
So like the beautiful little stoic Bee...I love to buzz on with things...

I'm interested in hearing your take, Jack, on all things fit and fat :) 8)

kind regards,
MatbbgJ
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:41 am

mat james wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 am

- by the way I think most bees are drones...(the Queen sounds a bit girly though...but who knows these days? Let's just say that she is a prolific egg layer...)
Very few bees are drones and they live a very short life and never meet a rose. That is the female business. Male bees cannot even feed themselves. Their only purpose is to mate with the queen and the few that do die instantly.
So can you see why I was confused by all these men wanting to relate to being a bee?

I told my doctor that I knew why he had a fat laughing Buddha and that was because he was too fine a man to be deprived of such a good joke. I also told him that if he got tired of waiting for the joke to come that I could also show him how to coax the joke out of the fat fellow but for that to happen would require the help of his wife.
I like this doctor and will be happy to learn of his laughing.

One of my favourite Buddha’s was known as the Lazy Buddha. I first learned of that Buddha thanks to Dana who use to post here in the forum. Because he was so lazy as a student everyone thought that he wasn’t learning and then one day they called on him to give the daily discourse thinking that he would fail at it and they could all laugh at him.
He asked them if they wanted the usual discourse or the sublime discourse. They said the sublime and to this day it is still being studied as one of the greatest teaching in the history of the teachings.

Maybe he helped Leonard with his question of what was meant by repent. That Buddha was the king of repentance. He even repented of being a Buddha.
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:45 am

Mat
I’ll bring it full circle for you and show how my favourite Buddha relates to your bee and maybe be a pointer for you to see what can be gained by following the flight of the bee
When these monks gave a discourse they didn’t get to read it. It had to given without notes yet the very same discourse is still studied to this day which means that he had memorized it. It is quite long and that got me wondering how he could have it memorized it. Logically when he was laying on some sofa while the other monks were sitting at desks pouring through books he was working at memorizing his sublime discourse. Still it is long and since I had a little experience with using math to memorize large amounts of information I started looking into the math of his words like how many words did he use and how many different subjects he covered and did start seeing patterns that satisfied me that I was understanding how he did it and tangential to that it began coming clear what he was saying. The realization was happening at 90 degrees to what I was looking for.
Much like your little bee who goes from flower to flower to get her honey material but at a 90 degree angle she gives to the rest of universe the benefit of her pollination of the flowers. It is not her intent to pollinate the flowers but she does it anyway.
We on the other hand can learn from her ways and see that much gets accomplished by those going after their honey/money but we can also learn to be more direct in accomplishing what it seems the universe wants to accomplish by this going after needs instincts and actually get involved in determining our own evolution. To do this we need to look at the 90 degree effects of human action.
We can do that. We can learn the rules of God.
We can continue being like the bee too and adjust our flight to fit the others who are changing evolution are accomplishing but would you not rather be one of the changers?
This could also suit the metaphor of the last rose.
Bob sings “ It’s now or never, more than ever”
It might not be the last rose but it’s getting pretty close.

That now or never line is from the same song as a gal named honey
Last edited by lazariuk on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Other Writers and Writing”