Perla rocks!

This section is for all other music-related topics
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile » Wed May 02, 2007 11:41 pm

For your words I see that you have felt, hearing this song and with these images, the same happiness of living that I have felt

Now, clumsily, I will try to translate a bit the lyrics, for you:

Gracias a la vida.

Gracias a la vida que me ha dado tanto.
Me ha dado el sonido y el abecedario,
con él las palabras que pienso y declaro:
madre, amigo, hermano, y luz alumbrando
la ruta del alma del que estoy amando.
Gracias a la vida que me ha dado tanto.
Me ha dado la risa y me ha dado el llanto.
Así yo distingo dicha de quebranto,
los dos materiales que forman mi canto,
y el canto de ustedes que es el mismo canto
y el canto de todos, que es mi propio canto.

Violeta Parra.

Thanks to the life that has given me so much.
It has given me the sound and the alphabet,
with it the words that I think and declare:
Mother, friend, brother, and light lighting
the route of the soul of that I love.
It has given me the laugh and has given me the weeping.
This way I distinguish happiness of pain,
both materials that form my singing,
and the singing of you that it is the same singing
and the singing of all, that it is my own singing.

In this way it has sense that we could see in the video dancing, cooking, her friends, her family, her Angel of the Universe, Leonard ... the good things of the life, the joie of vivre.

This one was an interesting informative topic in news, with a good number of views, I am glad that we could end speaking about good feelings, inspired by our Perla.

For Your Smile :wink:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu May 03, 2007 12:17 am

Thank you so much for that unexpected gift, ForYourSmile :D . Perla's video scenes are the epitome for these lyrics and music. Your translation of the song verses is wonderful 8) . It's so perfect, isn't it; and, you're right, that's how I felt it, too.
It has given me the laugh and has given me the weeping.
This way I distinguish happiness of pain,
both materials that form my singing,
Beautiful.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for me, ForYourSmile. I'll watch it again, tonite with these words in mind.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Christine

Post by Christine » Thu May 03, 2007 4:18 am

Que tal, ForYourSmile.... thank you so much for posting that luvly pic of Perla & Julie. Are they not fabulous?!! And I have to tell you how much I love your most beautiful city. I spent 4 months in BCN just over 2 years ago (Selva de Mar metro); one of those arghhhhh, what'm I gonna do with my life periods!! A part of me is always still there and I hold it really close. Sorry to say that tho' I signed up for 2 months of intense daily Spanish lessons, I failed miserably. The fact that I only made 11 classes probably didn't work in my favor. But I did learn how to get by. Uno vodka y coca lite, por favor!!

Kush, ya did it again.... you really are very funny. And thanks, YdF, you now have letters after your name for me... YdF, FF. Yaaaayy!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu May 03, 2007 4:28 am

Whoops, ForYourSmile, I commented on the other page's posting, about watching the video again, with knowing the lyrics you've provided.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Christine

Post by Christine » Thu May 03, 2007 4:31 am

And FYS, I loved the Perla video. Also gave me a chance to see her version of Cucuurrucucu Paloma.... which I can never spell but LOVE! Hope she's not singin' about brussel sprouts!! Tho' that'd be okay with me too.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu May 03, 2007 5:03 am

The full moon burns amber-orange tonight. I wasn't looking at the sky until it caught my eye. Your wife and you would appreciate it, ForYourSmile :) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile » Thu May 03, 2007 10:00 pm

Perla Batalla - Cucurrucucu Paloma
No, she's not singing about Brussels sprouts :lol: , It's a very sad song:

"How he suffered for her that up to his death he was calling her: Cucurrucucu Paloma (Dove)... of mortal passion he was dying... "

Perla's version (of her album Discoteca Batalla) is really beautiful; it remembers Caetano Veloso, precious too.

Christine, it makes me happy that you have a good memories of you stay in Barcelona. Maybe if you had tried with the Catalan language... :D

Always I perceive when we have full moon, we love it. :wink:
Last Year's Man

Post by Last Year's Man » Fri May 04, 2007 12:16 am

Oy, Perla. Unlike Anjani or Julie, not a nice person. A great voice but clueless about good material, unless it happens to be written by LC. Move on.
simonmoorehead

when she playing the uk

Post by simonmoorehead » Fri May 04, 2007 12:44 am

cant get excited till she plays the uk
si
i would like to buy any artwork by lc
simonmoorehead@yahoo.com

Snow is Falling , there's a nude in my room!
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile » Sat May 05, 2007 1:48 am

Everything that I know of Perla Batalla is wonderful, as person, singer and writer. I would not dare to compare she with nobody. I do not understand this commentary, and sincerely I prefer don't understand.

Regards, FYS :wink:
Last Year's Man

Post by Last Year's Man » Sat May 05, 2007 7:57 am

I understand your confusion, but I know stuff about her that is not complimentary. It's ok. It shouldn't affect how you feel about her music. Frank Sinatra was an a-hole, but that didn't mean anything when he opened his mouth. I'm just suggesting you retire the halo, that's all.
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile » Sat May 05, 2007 1:34 pm

"And the skylight is like skin for a drum I'll never mend
and all the rain falls down amen
on the works of... "

I have no reason to retire the halo, thanks, that's all.
Christine

Post by Christine » Sat May 05, 2007 1:43 pm

LYM, you're tough... and you know that of course your words will color what some of us feel, especially those amongst us without exposure to this music or that, or this feeling or that, or these words or those. It's never just about one thing.... it's always about the totality, at least for me. So, inferences are hard for me to deal with, make me sad. I'm sorry LYM, I like the quiet.... and I ask you is it really necessary to hurt us unnecessarily. This said with no clue what you are talking about. But the harshness of your words rock me.

Ps Tell me you're not bloody English (who else but us say oy...maybe our Oz/Kiwi friends). Yeah yeah, I know.

I see now why Dar leaves, why Dar deletes. Why Dar stuggles with the submit, push submit.....
Last Year's Man

Post by Last Year's Man » Sun May 06, 2007 12:07 am

My dear Christine,

You have me wrong. It is not my intent to knock you or anyone else (including Lizzie and The Tyshheads) from your platforms in the stratosphere, where everything is beautiful, transcendent, and perfect. Democracy is coming to the I-raq-ies. I envy your bliss. I really do.

I have been an eyewitness to Perla's pernicious streak, which is wider than the river's dark. No details shall I provide, to protect the guilty.

How did you suss me out about being English? Oy vey, it's that obvious.

"Your honour, I plead insanity for life on earth."

LYsM
Dilly

Post by Dilly » Sun May 06, 2007 12:21 am

You have me wrong. It is not my intent to knock you or anyone else (including Lizzie and The Tyshheads) from your platforms in the stratosphere, where everything is beautiful, transcendent, and perfect. Democracy is coming to the I-raq-ies. I envy your bliss. I really do.

Well said LYM -heaven only knows why and how there is so much back slapping and self centred absorption here.
See more in the section on Toadying elsewhere

Return to “Other music”