what does music give you?

This section is for all other music-related topics
philo

what does music give you?

Post by philo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:58 pm

a connection with something that transcends words, perhaps you could say it's 'soul'.........
life is the school, love is the lesson.
philo

Post by philo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:37 pm

obviously nothing, judging by the replies......... :roll: oh well, i will keep talking to myself, it can be quite interesting sometimes. :wink:
Philwilli

Post by Philwilli » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:10 am

A lot philo,it's like medicine for my soul.Helps me overcome stress in
conection with job.The music tablets i use are called Enya and come from Ireland.Other music is for pleasure and relaxation.
Talking to ones self is interesting,at least the other part agrees
YankovicGretzky

Post by YankovicGretzky » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:34 am

I stopped watching television after I graduated from high school and I don't listen to new music, but I make an exception for whenever Leonard Cohen, Chicago, Peter Cetera, Elton John, and Weird Al Yankovic come out with something new.

What does music give me?

Leonard Cohen makes me think, Peter Cetera makes me cry, Elton John is just Elton John, and Weird Al Yankovic makes me laugh.

I listen mostly to 1980s and 1990s music because that's when I grew up and those are the songs that make me think about my childhood school friends and it gets me all emotional. But I can't say any of Leonard Cohen's 80s and 90s songs get me feeling that way because of their lyrics.

Oh yeah, First We Take Manhatten, 1988, fourth grade, WOW, that takes me back! :lol:

My younger sister once told me that I don't listen to music because I like it, I listen to music because it reminds me of certain places and people from my childhood. At first I didn't understand what she meant but then I figured it out.

In other words, I would never go out and buy a BEATLES album or a CD of MOZART's music just to listen to it because it's classical or well written and performed. I'm not a music fan. I'm not a musician. I'm not a music critic.

I only listen to music that remind me of things.

With some exceptions, like Leonard Cohen.

Get my drift?
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
philo

Post by philo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:54 am

that is a good way of thinking..... music tablets, i like that one. right this moment in time i am listening to some blues - setting me up nicely for the day methinks. :cry: music is such an amazing experience, it can enter your soul, transport you into the most weird and wonderful places in your head, lighten your mood, make you cry, throw you back in time, connect with others (thats what we do here), and enlighten you in various ways........ and so much more, guess its because, unlike literature, it can transcend mere words. thanks for your answers. 8)

Return to “Other music”