Kenny Rankin - Silver morning

This section is for all other music-related topics
SWITZ

Kenny Rankin - Silver morning

Post by SWITZ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:34 am

The 1975 Kenny Rankin Album "Silver Morning" has recently been released on CD. This is on my top 10 albums. If anyone is a Kenny Rankin fan you might agree that this is his best overall album. His scat singing on "Haven't we met" and beatles songs Blackbird & Penny lane are just incredible. I have to mention a Gordon Lightfoot song he sings on the album "pussywillows cattails" is mesmerizing and another song "Someone killed a cat" is just one of those songs that will haunt you.....forever.

Switz :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:04 am

This sounds good, Switz... I'm curious on the "Someone killed a cat" one, though. Is it forever haunting because it's morbid? Does it relate to the literal killing of a cat?

~ Lizzy
SWITZ

Post by SWITZ » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:40 am

Hi Lizzy
The title to song is actually "Killed a cat". There's not much to the lyrics but here is most of them.

Take a look outside someone's killed a cat
and in the city that is all there is to that
a man can die there and no one really know his name
and in the city its always been that way
New York you're a mother
and like no other you have been so good to me
I remember how you felt
when I was innocent
take a look outside someone's killed a cat
and in the city its always been that way.

The body of the song is a slow dream like scat as when he sings "Pussywillows cattails"

Lizzy you mentioned on another thread "A better Place to be" by Harry Chapin. Its off the 1972 album "Sniper and other love songs" Do you feel that this is his best song and album?

Switz :)
SWITZ

Post by SWITZ » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:18 am

Found a Kenny Rankin song on youtube. "Peaceful" well I'm guessing was recorded around 1968. I think that Kenny wrote this song about 1965.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iKMUQXofa3E

switz :)

Return to “Other music”