John Cale

This section is for all other music-related topics
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:51 am

Well, I have a hard time accepting bad news. I was hoping you could just sort of wave your hands around and my computer would become new again, but that's OK, I understand that we all have our limitations.

My hope is that this thing just falls apart in little tiny bits and pieces rather than one big crash. At least most things work.

Sorry to trouble you with my little problems. Some days they seem more important than on others.

See you,
Linda.
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:49 am

well all i have to say is get it checked out if something else starts to fail. because if it happens in small things, it won't be very noticeable. so when it completely crashes it'll seem like it all just died at once. i've had that happened to me and it's not pretty.
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:02 pm

Dear Bride-To-Be Linda ~
Besides which, I don't see how i reply to a post would be of concern to anyone other than the person I'm replying to. I'm more interested in removing emoticons, with the exception of this one :roll: .

Linda.
As 'they' say, be careful what you wish for :shock: :wink: . Not only might you just get it; but not all removing spirits have discernment, and everything might be swept away.

Your shopping [and lunching] friend,
Lizzy :D
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:37 pm

Aaah. Yes. I see. Message received. The spirit in which the message was sent had an eerily similar emotional foundation. Although, that foundation has not been fully impacted as yet. But, I'm sure it will be heavily bombasted. Very soon, as well. Too bad you don't imbibe, we could cut out right now, and just go get drunk.

Linda.
smccallon

Post by smccallon » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:56 pm

i just saw john cale play on saturday night and i suggest that if he is in your area you go see him. he played about 4 songs from his new album and they were all electric guitar (hard rock) oriented. when one goes to a john cale concert one gets everything from soft music to hard rock and roll.

-sean
Doctor Bob

Post by Doctor Bob » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:50 am

Yes I have tickets to see him next month, can't wait

John Cale is one of my very favorite artists, and like a lot of people I think his cover of Hallelujah is the best (out of the ones I've heard that is)

I think the recommendation above is a very good one, "Fragments of a Rainy Season" is a great CD and DVD

Trivia: When John originally asked permission to cover Hallelujah, he was surprised to find Cohen send him all 10 verses in the mail!
cdb

Post by cdb » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:03 am

Awww, John Cale is a God- so glad to see fellow fans here! I saw him on Jools Hollands' Hootenanny! a whiole back and it was amazing! I got into Cale via VU, but think 'Paris 1919' and 'Fear' equal that materiual. Although Vinatge Violence is a good album, I don't rank it alongside his major works in terms of value or influence. His later work often seems a little flat in comparison witrh the excitement of the earlier stuff and The Academy in peril never lived up to its title.

Halelujah is the best Cohen cover ever. And tefact that John Cale chose 'Alexandra Leaving' on the BBC's 'Desert Island Discs' puts him even higher in my estimation! (by the way he was on 'Loose Ends' this weekend UK you radio 4 people, if its on the bbc website!)

Regards,
CDB
John

John Cale

Post by John » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:14 am

I'm a great admirer of John Cale's work - especially his material from the Seventies. I personally think the best overall introduction to his work is the double CD "The Island Years" which you can buy very cheaply on Amazon (this includes the three Island albums and more). "Paris 1919" is probably the safest album for LC fans to buy though, since it is haunting and beautiful (Cale worked with Nick Drake around this time). Personally, I wouldn't recommend "Fragments of a Rainy Season", even though it is okay - apart from maybe the Dylan Thomas stuff ("Words For the Dying" itself has just been re-issued, however). I think the only place that you can get Cale's superb studio recording of "Hallelujah" is on the "I'm Your Fan" album of Leonard covers. I saw Cale in concert several times in the Seventies. At one show he came onstage dressed like Hannibal Lecter and coked out of his brain. After giving a terrifying, hard-rocking, performance, I said to the guy sitting next to me "Wow! What did you think of that?!". This gentle and soft-spoken American confessed that he had come, expecting to see the laid-back J.J.Cale!!! I started attending Cale's live concerts again in the Nineties, and never miss a tour. I saw him supporting Patti Smith at her "Horses" show in July, when he played "Gideon's Bible" , "Ghost Story" and "The Jeweller" for the first time in years. Two two weeks ago, I him at The Queen Elizabeth Hall. Cale looks great for a man of sixty three – he wore a black polo shirt, and sand coloured combat pants. His hair was streaked with blond and grey. He looked well, and quite at ease, though his performance was as dynamic as ever. He kicked off with “Venus in Furs” on electric violin, and played guitar for the rest of the set. The second song was “Helen of Troy” which was a real surprise, since I haven’t seen this played live for at least 28 years! Ditto "Dirtyass Rock 'n Roll". I’d heard that Cale has been listening to Dr.Dre and was singing at least one song in a falsetto voice. The new material was played here, and it sounded really good. The drummer (a young guy with light brown skin and a shaved head) was phenomenal. The lead guitarist was also outstanding. In fact the band totally gelled, and they took the possibilities of three guitars and drums into new dimensions (truly alchemical, no less!). Furthermore the sound was excellent. “Guts” and “Gun” were given the band treatment and sounded great. A haunting new version of “Gideon’s Bible” was played…slower and more spacial (like being on a windy moor). Another new rocker sounded familiar, and on reflection I’ll swear it reminded me of Brian Wilson’s “Marcella”. After a no- holds -barred version of “Leaving it Up to You”, the band played in succession, a beautiful “Set You Free”, “Ship of Fools” and “Things You Do in Denver When You’re Dead”. It’s amazing how Cale can be screaming one moment, and then sing a ballad in perfect voice (must be the stamina of those Welsh lungs!). There were two encores…a beautiful slow number featuring just Cale and the lead guitarist, and finally “Pablo Picasso” which was a real tour de force. (no "Paris 1919" stuff or "Hallelujah" this time, but you can't have it all. Was this the best John Cale show ever? Probably.

Return to “Other music”