Eurythmics Jennifer

This section is for all other music-related topics
LyricsDecrypter

Eurythmics Jennifer

Post by LyricsDecrypter »

Wonderously (at least to me) there is nothing about Eurythmics on these forums (or at least I am too inept to find it EDiT: I stupidly spelled eurhythmics in my search), yet there are at least two songs that immedeatly come to mind that feel in some way related to LC songs: "Angel" for one, but much more "Jennifer".

As I just finished a post on Who by Fire, I started to think about the parallels between WBF and Jennifer:

In both songs someone is asking questions about probably deceased, yet the real question is:
Who is asking?

In case of Jennifer, the voice asking is very soft and loving which stands in contrast to the implied suicide of Jennifer (and torment of mood that lead to it). The lyrics describe her appearance as possible cause for her unhappines yet the repeated question of "where are you tonight", is actually answered "underneath the water".

While LCs lyrics do not offer an answer, and his lyrics are way more poetic in a the sense of being open to interpretation, you can find a level of poetry in the music accompanying the lyrics to Jennifer: There is a hint of the chopping sound a helicopter makes while supposedly out searching for Jennifer.

Back to the question on who is asking about Jennifer, I would say it is someone caring and close enough to be rightfully asking this kind of question, the loving softness of tone makes me first think of her mother more than any friend, or lover, or other person who might be "entitled" a hold over her.
Yet there is no fear, nor worry, nor forbodance of disaster at all - not very motherly. Even there seems to be a certain sense of consent to Jennifers current whereabouts in this softness.
This leads me to think it is herself asking the question. There is a serenety in that voice which implies that all is good now, any ordeal is over.

EDiT:
Or, on a more positive thought, she is not dead, only hiding by floating on her back in a still lake just below the water's surface, with only mouth and nose above the waterline more or less invisible from the water's edge and with the outside world's sounds muffled due to ears being below the waterline. In this scenario Jennifer is also rid of the outer world's unfriendlyness, sight and sound are tuned out, even gravity is overcome: she is floating with only the night sky in her sight. She serenly recides within herself, the only safe place of comfort to her.

My twopence worth...

LD

EDiT2: Misspelling Eurythmis with an additional h ofcourse doesn't help, :facepalm: corrected the spelling now

Return to “Other music”