other music...

This section is for all other music-related topics
smccallon

other music...

Post by smccallon » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:33 pm

so much good music that i'm listening to lately. the more i look at things, the more i see myself becomin' some folky junky. ha... this is great! woohoo...

-hank williams (got into because of leonard cohen!)
-woody guthrie
-arlo guthrie (alice's restuarant!)
-ramblin' jack elliot

goin' to see bob dylan tomorrow evening.
Dylan

Post by Dylan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:20 pm

Woody Guthrie and Hank Williams are two of my favourites too.
Kush

Post by Kush » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:22 am

Currently on my playlists...

Bob Seger - The Fire Inside

The Highwaymen - The Road Goes On Forever
(Willie, Waylon, Kris & Johnny - The best of Highwaymen albums IMHO by the four slightly-larger-than-life legends. Has the definitive version of Steve Earle's 'The Devil's Right Hand' - surely a case of a cover being better than the original)

Grey De Lisle - The Graceful Ghost

Son Seals - Lettin' Go
(Finest exponent of Chicago Blues IMHO - Buddy Guy notwithstanding. Also two live albums by Son Seals still in their package that I'm saving for later)

Kenny Neal - Bayou Blood
(Hard drivin' blues New Orleans style)

Beausoleil avec Michael Doucet - Gitane Cajun

Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:13 am

Kush,

I couldn't help but notice that you have a wonderful and diverse love of music/poetry! Where I reside at the moment, country is big. I'm not so big on country - but some of it is just too good to pass by.

Linda.
Kush

Post by Kush » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:19 am

Thank you Linda. I've been hearing and loving country music for most of my life. But the past couple of years I'm really into blues and it was partially inspired by some posts long time ago on this board by Jurica and Witty Owl.

p.s. Ha...I just heard a snippet on CNN about Willie Nelson championing an environmental-friendly gasoline made from vegetable oil+something else and they're calling it Biowillie :) . Gotta find out more on this...
Henning

Post by Henning » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:51 pm

I heard that "Other music" is available at the SXSW festival in Austin each year. Hey Kushman - Grey deLisle is really good American country music and a bit religious, too ! Great voice.
Kush

Post by Kush » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:54 am

Henning....Grey De Lisle has a very unique voice. In some songs on that album she sounds almost as much like Dolly Parton as Madeleine Peyroux sounds like Billie Holiday.
Yeah...I think I first heard of her from your posts and later her song on the Stephen Foster CD.

I've been to Austin a zillion times but never to the SXSW - it won't happen this year but I'll have to make it soon. I usually end up going to JazzFest New Orleans with my college buddies.

Return to “Other music”