Georges Moustaki

This section is for all other music-related topics
Tchocolatl

Georges Moustaki

Post by Tchocolatl » Fri May 24, 2013 5:35 am

All the gallophiles, the francophiles, the good music and poetry lovers among you may have noticed that Georges Moustaki died today.

There is so many Moustaki's songs that I used to like - that I still like (but don't listen).

Here is the probably most famous :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY8F-DTHnZs

During his life, he once said something like : "I would like to be happy in a world where everybody is happy".

Would be nice indeed.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
MaryB

Re: Georges Moustaki

Post by MaryB » Fri May 24, 2013 7:00 am

Tchocolatl,

I was not familiar with his music. This link, c'est plus bien, - his actual voice may be silenced, but his music will definitly live on. Thank you for making me aware him.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 pm

You speak golden daisies.

What we were during our lifetime does not die with us. That lives forever. Famous or not. Reality does not need fame to exist. In his case his poetry and music will live long after his fame, I do believe also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPtF_TzOeQs

It was a long time ago since I have listened to this. It reminds me of a certain summertime of complete happiness and insouciance (like all summertimes shall be!). In the background of it : Moustaki's music and some Marcel Pagnol's books - the beautiful and terrible Jean de Florette and Manon des sources.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog » Fri May 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Thank you for posting these links, Tchocolatl. I intended to post something myself yesterday when I heard the sad news.

I discovered Georges Moustaki the same year that I found Leonard's music. It was 1969 and we had a student teacher from France at my high school in England. She used to play his album in class. I still know every word of Le Meteque and Ma Solitude. A much more effective way of teaching than a textbook! When she went back to France for a holiday she brought back extra copies of the album. I still treasure mine and play it regularly. I saw him in concert several times over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFLBs9S8FY

Such beautiful words:

Pour avoir si souvent dormi
Avec ma solitude
Je m'en suis faite presque une amie
Une douce habitude

Elle ne me quitte pas d'un pas
Fidèle comme une ombre
Elle m'a suivi çà et là
Aux quatres coins du monde

Non, je ne suis jamais seul
Avec ma solitude

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sat May 25, 2013 2:13 am

It was a pleasure to read this.

The same year... We are lucky enough that Leonard Cohen not only has the grace to be alive, but to perform live as well.

Georges Moustaki was 79. I read that he died in peace, that he was in peace with his death, with the fact that it was the end of the road for him. He was sick for a long time.

Ma Solitude was one of my favourite Moustaki's songs, too. Ma liberté also.

I can't help but bring this other one here to share :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drvjs3QtmWE

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “Other music”