Leonard vs. Bob

This section is for all other music-related topics
Bobbie

Leonard vs. Bob

Post by Bobbie » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:18 pm

This interesting tidbit arrived in E-Verse today (the best e-zine on the net).

Bobbie

A reader on Bob Dylan:

"Sorry (Bob) Dylan lovers, but I have to weigh in on the other side. I thought his lyrics were profound when I was in grade school, but I was 14 then. His early stuff now sounds smug, self-righteous and whiney to me. I never could stand his voice, so I will admit I had no interest in checking out his later stuff and still don't. I always think of him as the skinny little nerd who got picked on and got on by being a smart-ass and imagining awful fates for the less clever but more popular kids later in life. If I want to listen to a singer/songwriter without much of a voice I'd rather listen to Leonard Cohen. His lyrics could easily stand by themselves. His voice isn't strong but it suits his songs and I like his use of timing and sense of humor. Spare me the flames of outrage: I don't care and you won't change my mind."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:26 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with this writer regarding the content of Bob's lyrics ~ however, I won't try to change his mind on that; and won't even argue with his take on Leonard's voice. Simply not worth the effort. Meanwhile, will state that I love the strength of Leonard's voice. Thanks for sharing this tidbit, Bobbie :D .
Henning

Post by Henning » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:45 pm

Bobbie - do you know the address of this writer ? I'd like to send her/him a christmas gift !
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:40 pm

Henning, I am not this reader but you can send me a Christmas gift, nonetheless.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:20 pm

Henning.. I don't have the address of the particular writer, but I will fwd your comment to Ernie, and he will post it in one of the upcoming ezines. That way, at least the writer will know you appreciate his/her intentions. When it shows up, I'll fwd. it to you. How's that? By the way, we could go in together on the cost of a gift... I wouldn't mind sending one either!
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:22 pm

Oops.... forgot to log in. Sigh. The "guest" post is mine.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:51 am

Something similar was written by Harry Rasky in his book The Song Of Leonard Cohen: The Portrait of a friendship, the film and the tour, Henning. He reffered to Bob Dylan's lyrics as "the high-school poetry" :wink:
I also want X-mas gift:) Maybe we should exchange some?
Henning

Post by Henning » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:52 pm

Hey we shouldn't compare mythologies - I was wrong and mean by making such a comment. I never wanted to mess with the fans of Bob Nylon - especially not with my best friend Ray Webster (he runs an air company as an evening job btw). He visits almost every Zimmermann show here in Europe. I will not send gifts anywhere.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:14 pm

I found that I like BD's poetry in the "Your gonna make lonesome when you go". "Kinda" hyp LSD trip song to my eyes. :shock: 8)

"I will not send gifts anywhere."

This is w&m :cry:

(I wanna giff now I wanna giff I wanna giff plise plise sniff I wanna giff OK? wanna giff)
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:36 pm

Tchocolatl ~

What/who is "w&m"? Thanks.

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:41 pm

I wanna exchange gifts (if not the letters :wink: ) also :cry:
As I said to Tchocolatl, I am looking for some records I can't buy here. I would happily exchange some LC vds/cds for copies of some of those (Allison Crowe, Madeleine Peyroux, Patricia O'Calaghan...)... :?:
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:18 pm

Again, read carefully young Tomislav Šakic :shock: :D not (well not necessarily) letters " but only point of views and ideas". :D

You were serious, he? Hum... why not (with me 'cause the winds dis not change here for now) beginning a new tradition (!). Xmast gifts exchange between volonteered here? Cute! (unless it is xmast all year long in some way) I mean more intensively during that period? Oh! well I leave this to you who likes this sort of things. (I could not be perfect 8) ).

Elizabeth, It is a monkey "wrong and mean" of Henning (The grinch who stole Christmas).

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:35 pm

BTW It is Hanouka (7 to 15 December) right now! The Lights celebration.
To whom it may concern : Happy Hanouka.

Here for you, is a Hanouka chant to be played with xylophone

Oh! Lord... guess what!? It is me Tchoco that for some reason was no log again (and not one of my multiple clones over here 8)
Kush

Post by Kush » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:26 pm

Actually that "high-school poetry" comment is quite literally true. Perhaps even 4th grade poetry. Dylan's written a large number of children's songs...here's one that was played at my nephew's nature camp singalong.
I have Townes Van Zandt's version of it and he says "This song is so true and so much fun to sing, you are bound to mix up the words a little."

(copied from Dylan site)

Man Gave Names to all the Animals

Man gave names to all the animals
In the beginning, in the beginning.
In the beginning, long time ago.

He saw an animal that liked to growl,
Big furry paws and he liked to howl,
Great big furry back and furry hair.
"Ah, think I'll call it a bear."

He saw an animal up on a hill
Chewing up so much grass until she was filled.
He saw milk comin' out but he didn't know how.
"Ah, think I'll call it a cow."

He saw an animal that liked to snort,
Horns on his head and they weren't too short.
It looked like there wasn't nothin' that he couldn't pull.
"Ah, think I'll call it a bull."

He saw an animal leavin' a muddy trail,
Real dirty face and a curly tail.
He wasn't too small and he wasn't too big.
"Ah, think I'll call it a pig."

Next animal that he did meet
Had wool on his back and hooves on his feet,
Eating grass on a mountainside so steep.
"Ah, think I'll call it a sheep."

He saw an animal as smooth as glass
Slithering his way through the grass.
Saw him disappear by a tree near a lake . . .
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:56 pm

Well, thanks to Bobbie, I finally found Henning's unexpected adaptation of "Silent Night;" his sentiments with which I agree. If I'd check one of my other email addresses more often, I could've listened to it yesterday. Thanks, Bobbie. Henning ~ is that other voice Elke's or your own superimposed?

Return to “Other music”