john cale

Post by Teratogen » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:35 am

any cale fans here?
smccallon

Post by smccallon » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:57 pm

i am... :lol:
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Hehe.. you two just gave me a nice smile. ;-)

I like Cale too, especially his version of So Long Marianne, with Suzanne Vega.
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:42 pm

see, i haven't heard that version yet! but i want to!
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:34 am

I always kept a "Close Watch" on John Cale from the Velvet Undergroud times on (where he was responsible for the "apocalyptic viola") ...
smccallon

Post by smccallon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:41 am

(with sarcasm) i urge and encourage all who read this to worship john cale. teratogen and i are currently running a new cult of john cale to join our cults of:
-lou reed
-leonard cohen
-marc bolan

please join... please...

may peace be unto you,
sean
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:14 am

sean, don't forget our non-musical cousin to our various cults: HULK HOGAN (aka Jesus Hogan), from back in high school. the only way to be initiated into this cult is to listen to "I Want to Be A Hulkamaniac" 6 times in a row, and it must only be completed when "Hulkster in Heaven" is played at your funeral, otherwise we shun you and your family and do not place your name in our Hulkster Hall of Fame, nor do we name a star after you in one of our many heavens. :P
smccallon

Post by smccallon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:52 pm

teratogen,

i have no clue what you are talking about.
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:49 pm

Smiles for me this morning from you two again... I can still picture you guys the way you were in NY, able to visualize your interactions, and see the enthusiasm/smiles on your faces. We old and decrepit fans loved having your young blood amongst us, assuring that Cohen World would be properly carried on into the future.

If you want to hear Cales's version of So Long Marianne, you can hear it on a cd called "Bleeker St. Greenwich Village in the 60's"

Carry on, Boys!

Bobbie
Henning

Post by Henning » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:08 am

Bobbie - I agree - these two Californian guys are a big win for our community. John Cale - I'm trying hard to see him in concert - I failed so far - but as you know - I never give up. As a former midfield in my soccer team I know how to fight. Fighting for something that you believe in is always a good thing. At least it's understandable. But beware of paroles speaking of "righteous fights". It's always a lie.

This is a silent night. It's true that it is and it is true that I have always loved this song.

http://www.tea-and-oranges.de/mp3/silentnight.mp3
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:32 am

:D i, as well as my good friend here, and another friend of ours, got to see john cale perform in concert not too long ago, in santa ana, california. we came upon him knowing only of "fragments of a rainy season" and the u.s. release of "hobosapiens," that is, besides the velvets, of course. this prompted us to explore a bit more... and then seeing him in concert... let's just say we've ordered almost every available album of his.

henning: who is this singing "silent night"???

thank you all for your kind words.

......praise hogan. :wink:
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:59 am

Henning.. if anything in the world could make me feel equally happy and sad together at the same time, it was listening to your version of Silent Night just now... thank you. I have always loved that song too, and now I love it even more. Remember what we said last night... now that Leonard is happy and won't be writing any more songs like Nancy or FBR, the responsibility of giving us this odd twist of emotions lies with you now, and you have begun it well... (smile) I can't wait till New Year's Eve, when I know you will be throwing your Christmas tree over the balcony.

Bobbie
Henning

Post by Henning » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:51 am

Again I have tried to talk Elke into breaking the tradition and buy an extra box of beers instead of bringing that stupid tree into the house again. But she wouldn't give in. So it will be the same procedure as every year on New Year's Eve: TV will broadcast "Dinner for one" and an exhausted tree is going to make a giant loop over the balcony.

Bobbie: I don't remember a word of what we talked on Wednesday but I suggest that you are right with what you remember.
Jason: It's my voice, 10 years after I lost my believe in Santa Clause.
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:32 pm

Henning... I know you didn't really think you'd get Elke to exchange the annual Christmas tree for a case of beer. Did you.. ? Hehe. But I know you had to try. I can easily imagine the family at the breakfast table, the exchange between all of you regarding this subject. You, with your back to the window, pretending to read the newspaper while eating a soft boiled egg and a slice of bread. You make the off-handed remark, hoping to catch them off guard in their sleepiness. Elke laughs at you, in that sweet way she does, but her jaw is set with a determined "no!" at the brim of her espresso cup. Pascal looks up long enough to interject "PaPAAA!!" You tell him to take off his baseball cap. Johanna's eyes roll and she says.. "pfffft". Of course you have to give up, but still, you tried. Besides, I know you like throwing it over the balcony on New Year's Eve.

Bobbie
(remembering breakfast in the Franz household)
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:45 pm

wow. :shock: that's, uh... weird.

so, henning! how long did it take you to find out santa claus was a fraud? my dad told me when i was a kid, only because i kept questioning him... and my dad is jewish anyway. hahaha.

Return to “Other music”