Judy Collins & Kenny White at Leicester Square Theatre

This section is for all other music-related topics
John Etherington

Judy Collins & Kenny White at Leicester Square Theatre

Post by John Etherington » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:34 am

I see that there are still plenty of seats left for Judy Collins concert at the Leicester Square Theatre, this Sunday (tickets are only £25.00). It's a cosy and intimate theatre close to Leicester Square tube. Let's support the lady who first brought Leonard to sing for the public! I've seen her several times in the past few years and she looks and sounds wonderful. She's always sung a Leonard song in her set on the previous occasions that I've seen her (I've asked her to sing "Priests" this time, which I've never heard her sing, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!). Her support act, Kenny White is also extremely entertaining (so good in fact, that I bought his CD).

Here's the link: http://www.leicestersquaretheatre.com/whats-on/music

All good things, John E
Last edited by John Etherington on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Etherington

Re: Judy Collins at Leicester Square Theatre, Sunday 22nd Ap

Post by John Etherington » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:08 pm

With Judy Collin's only UK show approaching, I thought I'd post a link to this video of Leonard talking about Judy and "Suzanne":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwt8PVrM5KY
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:22 pm

John -
please add my name to yours in requesting that she sings "Priests" ...!
I try to see Judy Collins every time she plays London. She "gives it her all" - a highly recommended concert to attend. She usually refers to Leonard with grace and with thanks.
There are many, many clips on youtube of Judy and Leonard singing together.
Still seats available. A great intimate venue (even though on Leicester Square!) - indoors and accessible....
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
John Etherington

Re: Judy Collins & Kenny White at Leicester Square Theatre

Post by John Etherington » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:39 pm

A.S. - What do you think of Kenny White (who often supports Judy)? I think this song is pure genius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dv607bSw7s
Last edited by John Etherington on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 pm

John -
love the song! shining!! essential study for any x-factor contestant.
In the notes for her latest cd, Bohemian, Judy outlines her thanks to those who have helped. About Kenny White, she writes:

"To Kenny White, for his singing on "Veteran's Day". Kenny the artist, the songwriter, the troubadour, is winning hearts everywhere and often to my good fortune, joins me in concerts. It is always a gift to see him and hear him sing his amazing songs."

Lovely words. I'll be there to listen.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Beautiful Judy Collins!
She looked glorious (dressed in black and sparkling); her voice still "like an amethyst".
Judy sang Suzanne, and remembered and thanked Leonard for asking her why she did not write her own songs - thus beginning a new branch of her life.
I had phoned to enquire about concert timings (as I had to rush to catch a late train to the coast). I was told that the concert would end at 9 pm. Judy sang till after 10 pm. Her voice gets better and better (she sang "Anathea" - which sounded even better than her album recording on "Judy Collins #3").
Exquisite.
John Etherington

Re: Judy Collins & Kenny White at Leicester Square Theatre

Post by John Etherington » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:54 pm

A.S. - It was good to meet you at the concert, and agree that it was a superb evening. Judy's wonderful soprano is still crystal clear. I enjoyed her snippets of songs and reminiscences in the early part of the show, but it was great to hear full versions of some of my favourites - "Anathea", "Both Sides Now", "Barbara Allen" (one of the first songs I loved as a child) and the exquisite "My Father". We didn't get "Priests" sadly, but at least we got part of "Suzanne"! I enjoyed Judy's extended set at the piano, and the new songs conjoured some vivid imagery with an almost cinematic quality (plus Jim Webb's "Campo De Encino" fits in well with these). I also enjoyed the two closing songs - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", and "Send In the Clowns".

Kenny White's opening set was similarly excellent , with some fine jazz-piano playing. He sang the songs that I most wanted to hear, and I particularly enjoyed "Who's Gonna Be the One", "She's Coming on Saturday", and of course "Gotta Sing High" (to check out full versions of these songs go to: http://www.kennywhite.net/music/comfort-in-the-static/ then "Launch Player").

All good things, John E

Return to “Other music”