Rainer Ptacek

This section is for all other music-related topics
Henning

Rainer Ptacek

Post by Henning »

Thalia Zedek did an energetic version of "Dance me .." yesterday. She shared the bill with the headliners Giant Sand from Tucson, Arizona. In the middle of the gig they showed a video of Rainer Ptacek, playing the dobro to one of his songs from Texas Tapes. Amazing how he managed to play that thing. He died way too early. From one of the GS songs I heard something like "Home is where your .... is" and I understood "hat". If that was true and I would wear hats I would have million homes in my life because I use to lose all the things that I carry with my on my road. How many umbrellas travel alone now in trains and planes and busses and other people's cars. How many pencils feel comfortable now in other people's hands. What drove me always nuts were these two dark ladies who spoke spanish and all I understood was that they tried to spell the lead singers name "Howe Gelb" which is a strange name indeed. But why babbling for 15 minutes to get that name spoken rightly ?

The polished steel took me home safety to write this down.

"If I needed you,
would you come to me
would you come to me
to ease my pain ?

If you needed me
I would come to you
I would swim the seas
to ease your pain"

Townes van Zandt
dar

Post by dar »

Glad you made it home safely from the concert henning. It's just so amazing that a band from Tucson, where I lived for 20 years, would be there playing for you. And, of course, I remember when we spoke years ago just after I had come home from a fund raiser for Rainer's family held in Tucson. A wonderful soul who left us too soon.

Always happy to hear your music news and reviews. Keep 'em coming!

XO
Dar

Post by Guest »

Well... if you knew the items I forgot in that dormitory room at Carman Hall - I've wondered since if they went straight in the bin, or if they are being put to use. One thing I know - they will not have been sent to "lost and found"...

"If I Needed You"... what a beautiful song. I have a lovely version of it, a duet by Emmylou Harris and Don Williams, which is on ELH's cd "Duets". When I hear that song, it makes tears spring to my eyes a little - and now I know even better exactly what you meant in the chat last night.

B
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

Oops.. forgot to sign in. The "guest" post is from me.

Return to “Other music”