Playlist October

This section is for all other music-related topics
Henning

Playlist October

Post by Henning »

October seems to be a great party with old friends. Amazing !!!

Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
Tom Waits - Real gone
Marianne Faithfull - Before the poison
Carla Torgerson - Saint Stranger
Phil Schoenfeldt - Deep Horizon
Thalia Zedek - Trust not those in whom without some touch of madness
Giant Sand - Is all Over .... the Map
Thomas Dybdahl - The great October sound (how fitting)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

And the essential reading: Bob dylan, Autobiography, Vol. 1 (out October 12) 8)
+ DH
Kush

Post by Kush »

My playlist this month in addition to what I had last month

BB King/Eric Clapton - Riding with the King
John Lee Hooker - Don't Look Back
Sonny Landreth - Levee Town

Looking forward to buying:

Leonard Cohen - Dear Heather
Steve Young - Lonesone 'On'ry and Mean
Jim Reeves - Legendary Performer

No time for Bob Dylan book. Love his music but from what I have read of his few interviews he's a bit too cynical for my taste.

Here's a brand new Dylan joke from Bill Maher:

"Bob Dylan must stop denying that he was the voice of a generation. Bob, that's not something you get to decide. It's fate and you were it. If your generation could actually pick a voice, don't you think they'd have picked a better one than yours?"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thalia Zedek - Trust not those in whom without some touch of madness
Does that ever sound intrigueing!

Great Bill Maher quote, Kush :lol: ~ so true :wink: :lol: !
Frankie Lee

Post by Frankie Lee »

I'm tired of hearing jokes about Bob Dylan's voice. Sure, these people aren't good listeners.

Some love him 8) , some hate him. :evil: So it goes.
But I wouldn't call him cynical. He's just trying to be honest in a certain kind of way. Whatever that means.

Love, Frankie
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I was teasing, as well, Frankie, although I can see how it might be taken, otherwise. I was validating the joke as a joke. I really don't make fun of, or joke about Bob's voice. However, when a joke comes together in such a fine way as Bill Maher's did, I have to acknowledge its humour, as a winking 'truth.' I can see where a better word was in order at that point. I also love Bob Dylan's voice, and he was the first to make me aware of an 'alternative reality.' "Ballad of a Thin Man" was one of the primary ones for that.
Kush

Post by Kush »

Hi Frankie Lee...to be fair to Dylan I am hearing very good reports of his autobiography. And as one of the most influential cultural artists of this century I am sure it will be of great interest to many readers. But I just can't see it on my reading list. First of all, I am not much of a biography reader...details of famous lives don't really interest me. I think the only good size biographical tomes I've ever read is of Lincoln a long time ago and of Anne Frank more recently.

But my comment came from some words of his in interviews, and also a number of his recent songs (e.g., Things have Changed, Not Dark Yet, Mississippi). His feelings are also reflected in the movie 'Masked and Anonymous' which I didnt like at all. He seems altogether disenchanted with modern society and culture and since I am not so (for the most part) there is a finite point as to how seriously I take him. However, I really love his recent albums lyrically and musically (Not Dark Yet is an all time classic and the Masked and Anonymous soundtrack is superb).

As to Bill Maher's comment something tells me he is quite familiar with Mr. Dylan's music and history to be able to make that joke. And quite apart from the joke/pun aspect, there is a grain of truth....you cannot write some of the finest protest/anti-establishment songs ever written AND do so at a time of great social upheaval and youth movement (in part due to excess youth population in the 60s in US) and then claim you hated being billed as the "voice" of a generation.
There is an old chinese saying: "Do not stoop to tie your shoelaces in your neighbor's melon patch."

BTW, say hi to Judas Priest for me :)

p.s. I first saw the joke on the Dylan site expectingrain.com. A very democratic site....
Last edited by Kush on Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Post by Pete »

my playlist:

Blue Nile - High
Acoustic Strawbs - Baroque and Roll
Incredible String Band - 'I Looked Up', 'Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' ( managing to catch up with some ISB I didn't have in the 60's/70's... ordered these from Amazon last month)
Yes - Close to the Edge

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham

Post by Guest »

avoiding the dust this month:

White Stripes DeStijl
Concert for George (Harrison) disc 2
Liquid California~(misc techno tunes) especially "Raincry"
Santana Supernatural
kd lang 49th parallel (Cohen and Young tunes only)
Grover Washington Jr ARIA
LaurieAK

Post by LaurieAK »

Hmmm, somehow i bypassed logging in...and then i didn't bother to sign my name....the above post is mine.

Laurie
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol:
avoiding the dust this month:
:lol: ~ I love the inverse way of looking at that.
LaurieAK

Post by LaurieAK »

thanks Lizzy~

So spill the beans, :) what besides LC is on your current playlist??

L
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I tend to keep it simple, as I have no changer at this point, other than me, at the end of each one-playthrough-only cd. I've kept my radio on NPR, that brings me opera, world music, jazz, blues, Irish music, Prairie Home Companion [with whomever is appearing], and various other types ~ and the changing goes to Leonard and Allison Crowe, at this point. A couple weeks ago, it was Leonard and Townes van Zandt 8) , thanks to Kush. My house has been in serious disarray due to workers making various repairs, and I'm not set up well for organized playing, so the simpler the better. I've been doing long periods of the same artist. All I need to do is go push the play button again, vs. carefully removing the cd, placing it back in its case; removing the next one, etc., repetitiously. I can play only at work my dear friend, Pete's covers 8) of LC, with his wonderful British accent :D . It's on an MP3 [right, Pete?] ~ and my carryabout player is just too simplistic for that level of sophistication :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi Elizabeth

They are not on mp3....that level of technology is still beyond me. :?
.....the songs were put on cd from my 4 track recorder via a friend's computer where they are stored in something called 'cubasis'. I would think that they could be converted to mp3.. I think I'm in danger of trying to sound all technical-like here :-)

all good things

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Pete ~

Didn't you suggest that I try playing it on an mP3 player, so it wouldn't skip and gouge out chunks of your singing and the songs? What was the reason it won't act right on my home player, but does just fine on my computer at work :? !?! I thought it was mP3-related, somehow.

~ Lizzy

Return to “Other music”