Al Stewart on tour

This section is for all other music-related topics
GinaDCG

Al Stewart on tour

Postby GinaDCG » Sat May 29, 2010 3:31 am

I went to Rams Head in Annapolis a couple of weeks ago to see Al Stewart. In case anyone is interested --it's a wonderful venue. My friend and I had some of the worst seats in the house, which were still better then any concert seat I've ever had. It's more of a night club then a stadium which makes for a comfortable and intimate venue. Stewart had an excellent back-up guitarist and played for nearly 3 hours. This is one artist whose style and presentation has varied little since he first came to the American scene in the early 70s. Half of his songs are still about history -- recent and less so. Unlike Leonard, Stewart's voice has changed little over the years. He avoided the "octave jumps" I remember from the recordings of earlier songs, but otherwise he sounds the same.

My daughter is a huge Al Stewart fan (one of her first home school assignments when we gave up on public school was to write essays on the historical events and/ or personages from 2 of his albums) but was unable to attend the Rams Head performance with me . So, I'm hoping he'll swing back this way this coming fall when she will able to accompany me.

But again, if anyone has the opporrtunity to see someone at the Rams Head in Annapolis and is wondering how it will be; I give the venue a huge thumbs up! Stay at the O'Callahan hotel up the street and walk around to any one of 30 or so restaurants on the street. Buy some tea at Capitol Teas, or some seafood at Buddy's Crab and Rib House (name?) then stoll over for a great concert while you sample some of Ram's Head home brew or some wine (I have Celiac so beer is sadly now a no-no for me.)

And if you're thinking from this long post that I don't get out much -- you'd be right. I do live in West Virginia and so while I do a lot of hiking, no, I don't get out much to big cities.

Return to “Other music”