Angry American

This section is for all other music-related topics
GinaDCG

Re: Angry American

Post by GinaDCG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:27 pm

As someone living, firmly ensconsed in the very Red state of West Virginia, I can tell you that Keith's song has been totally appropriated by the redest of conservative Tea Bagger types. The song has become their "rose" as it were -- despite whatever political leanings it's author, Keith, may have.

If this appropriation is inappropriate -- then its not a first. Ronald Reagan's campaign used Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" as part of his take back and revitalize American confidence campaign. Recently I played the piece to a classical musician friend of mine who was familiar with the chorus "Born in the USA" and knew it had been used during Reagan's campaign. She was confused that Springsteen was "now" championing liberal causes. I played the entire song for her and asked her to listen to the words: "But what he's saying in the song is not that the US is always right! He's saying that because he was born in the USA he was sent to war and exploited by those in control! In fact, he's so angry he's screaming!"

But like it or not (and I'm fairly sure Mr. Springsteen does not;) walk into a Tea Party-type bar and this will be one of their "rose" songs. (I wonder if they've ever listened to the words? But now that "they" have picked their rose they will not listen again. They are beyond words and arguments. No matter what the lyrics really say, They know what the lyrics really "mean" and that's that.

Sigh.
Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Maybe this thread can now be booted into the "Politics" bin?
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 pm

Tony, I concur.

Gina
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Let's say exorcised!
efc

Post by efc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 am

friscogrl wrote:Supposedly TK is A Democrat but he did vote for George Bush. What kind of Democrat would do that? The one who is now changing his party to that of the Independents.

M
From memory Wiki refers to him as a Conservative Dem. That means he's not a a left wing loon with San Fransisco values, and plenty of central people treat national security as important. So he may well have voted for Bush, a decision more than justified by Obama's conduct. Obama is the terrorist's friend
efc

Post by efc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 am

GinaDCG wrote:As someone living, firmly ensconsed in the very Red state of West Virginia, I can tell you that Keith's song has been totally appropriated by the redest of conservative Tea Bagger types. The song has become their "rose" as it were -- despite whatever political leanings it's author, Keith, may have.

If this appropriation is inappropriate -- then its not a first. Ronald Reagan's campaign used Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" as part of his take back and revitalize American confidence campaign. Recently I played the piece to a classical musician friend of mine who was familiar with the chorus "Born in the USA" and knew it had been used during Reagan's campaign. She was confused that Springsteen was "now" championing liberal causes. I played the entire song for her and asked her to listen to the words: "But what he's saying in the song is not that the US is always right! He's saying that because he was born in the USA he was sent to war and exploited by those in control! In fact, he's so angry he's screaming!"

But like it or not (and I'm fairly sure Mr. Springsteen does not;) walk into a Tea Party-type bar and this will be one of their "rose" songs. (I wonder if they've ever listened to the words? But now that "they" have picked their rose they will not listen again. They are beyond words and arguments. No matter what the lyrics really say, They know what the lyrics really "mean" and that's that.

Sigh.
What are you on about. I repeat Keith is pro troops/victory/US - how horrid is that, and you have the gall to go on about "Tea Bagger types". You sound like that Obama. Feel free to get a grip

Springsteen is a fraud. He feels it necessary to express his political views in concerts attended by paying customers of all political views (moi no longer). He expresses disputed political issues as though they were facts. For instance he chastises Bush re rendition when rendition started under that nice Mr Clinton
efc

Post by efc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:31 am

Tony wrote:Maybe this thread can now be booted into the "Politics" bin?
Why are you, with your non-views. I posted a song, and a bunch of loony lefties get all excited, and demand that the song be referred to Politics
Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:39 am

If I could understand what that first sentence meant then I might reply but I don't think you deserve one so don't bother explaining anyway. :)
Last edited by Tony on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
efc

Post by efc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:47 am

Tony wrote:If I could understand what that first sentence meant then I might reply but I don't think you deserve one so don't bother anyway. :)
Perhaps I'm making the point you're not expressing an opinion :)
Kush

Post by Kush » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:19 am

I am not that familiar with TKs music but I really like the song 'Tired' which Willie Nelson covered in 'It Always Will Be'. Reminds me of Springsteen's My Hometown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_hWRCgLIiE

Leftwing rightwing upwing downwing (stolen from T Russell)....the music is all good.

Return to “Other music”