Angry American

This section is for all other music-related topics
efc

Angry American

Post by efc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWuA-RttGU

"American girls and American guys, will always stand up and salute.
We'll always recognize, when we see ol' glory flying,
There's a lot of men dead,
So we can sleep in peace at night when we lay down our heads.
My daddy served in the army where he lost his right eye,
But he flew a flag out in our yard 'til the day that he died.
He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me.
To grow up and live happy in the land of the free.

Now this nation that I love is fallin' under attack.
A mighty sucker-punch came flying in from somewhere in the back.
Soon as we could see clearly through our big black eye,
Man, we lit up your world like the fourth of July.

Hey, Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list,
And the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist.
And the eagle will fly and it's gonna be hell,
When you hear Mother Freedom start ringing her bell.
And it'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you.
Ah, brought to you, courtesy of the red, white and blue.

Oh, justice will be served and the battle will rage:
This big dog will fight when you rattle his cage.
An' you'll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A.
'Cos we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way.

Hey, Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list,
And the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist.
And the eagle will fly and it's gonna be hell,
When you hear Mother Freedom start ringing her bell.
And it'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you.
Ah, brought to you, courtesy of the red, white and blue.

Oh, oh.
Of the red, white and blue.
Oh, hey, oh.
Of my Red, White and Blue."

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/keit ... 10125.html
Rob

Re: Angry American

Post by Rob » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:17 pm

At first I thought this is horrendous; then I realised it must be some sort of post-modernist irony. Viewed in that light it is quite funny.
Rob.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Rob,

I thought exactly the same, then out of curiosity I found the following on Wikipedia:

"Keith had a public feud with the Dixie Chicks over the song "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue", in 2003 as well as over comments they made about President George W. Bush on stage during a concert in London. The lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, Natalie Maines, publicly stated that Keith's song was "ignorant, and it makes country music sound ignorant."[14] Keith responded by belittling Maines' songwriting skills, and by displaying a backdrop at his concerts showing a doctored photo of Maines with Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein".

By the way, I thought efc's real name was Rob, so I'm not entirely sure whether or not I'm talking to someone who's having an inner feud with himself!

Cheers, John E
efc

Post by efc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:22 am

Rob wrote:At first I thought this is horrendous; then I realised it must be some sort of post-modernist irony. Viewed in that light it is quite funny.
Rob.
No irony. It's called life.
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:23 am

Here's some irony for you....:

The artist that wrote those "lyrics" is going to perform at the Noble Peace concert.....
There are many ways a man can serve his time
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:40 pm

...In that case, Barry McGuire is spot on!
efc

Post by efc » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:30 pm

BlizzardofIce wrote:Here's some irony for you....:

The artist that wrote those "lyrics" is going to perform at the Noble Peace concert.....
Is that the thing Obama won
efc

Post by efc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:27 am

BlizzardofIce wrote:Here's some irony for you....:

Here's a report on the event. Apparently some people just don't get the idea that someone, a Democrat in the case of Mr Keith, can support the troops, and ralise that it's a good idea to win a war

"Toby Keith stands by war before Nobel peace show
By IAN MacDOUGALL (AP) – 2 days ago

OSLO — There's no reason to apologize for supporting U.S. war efforts, American country singer Toby Keith said Friday, just hours before performing at the annual Nobel Peace Prize concert.

Keith, whose 2002 saber-rattling hit "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)" was inspired by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, said he stands by President Barack Obama's decision to send 30,000 troops to Afghanistan.

Keith's appearance at the downtown Oslo Spektrum arena, scheduled for 1900 GMT (2 p.m. EST), has been questioned by Norwegians dismayed that a performer known for a fervent pro-war anthem is playing at a show focused on peace.

The musician dismissed the criticism.

"If President Obama has to send (more) troops into Afghanistan to fight evil, I'll pull for our guys to win, and I won't apologize for it," Keith said. "I'm an American, and I do pull for our team to fight evil."

His comments come the day after Obama traveled to Oslo to collect his Nobel Peace Prize and defended his decision to increase troop levels in Afghanistan. "Make no mistake: Evil does exist in the world," Obama said in Thursday's speech.

The peace prize laureate normally attends the concert, which is held in his or her honor. Obama's seat, however, will remain empty. The president left the Norwegian capital early Friday morning, blaming a jammed schedule for cutting the usual three-day stay to just over 24 hours.

Norwegian parliamentarians and a former Norwegian Nobel Committee member criticized Keith's invitation.

"If Keith really means what he says in his lyrics, then this doesn't seem like a particularly good decision," Norwegian Labor MP Tove Karoline Knutsen told Norwegian daily VG in November.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee's permanent secretary, Geir Lundestad, has defended his appearance. "We need to include a wide variety of artists," he told broadcaster NRK shortly after the line-up was announced. "So, it's not like we can exclude conservative artists."

Keith said that "if someone wants to say that one song out of 30 million albums sold and 27 No. 1's is inappropriate, then you can jump up and down about the one song," apparently in reference to "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue."

Keith added that this was the second year in a row the Norwegian Nobel Committee had invited him to perform at the concert.

Keith spoke to journalists Friday alongside Nobel Concert hosts — movie star and rapper Will Smith and his wife, actress Jada Pinkett Smith. Other artists, including British pop singer Natasha Bedingfield, also spoke at the event.

Smith, whose Thursday interview with Obama during the president's stay in Oslo will be shown at the concert Friday night, said he had no reservations about Obama's peace prize despite his status as an early first-term wartime president.

Whether Barack Obama as an individual deserved the prize was up for debate, he said. "But Barack Obama as an idea has transcended so many avenues that there's positively no debate that he deserved this honor," he said.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD9CH80SO0
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Polarization is such a human, and horrid activity.

I am currently reading a book about Shakespeare (Oh Horrors! I can't think of the title, and with this 5 lb cast about my foot I am not inclined to hobble upstairs to get it!)

The author points out something I had not noticed before as evidence (again!) of how Shakespeare yet proceeds the psychologists to their discoveries:

In Henry VI part 1 the initial argument between Lancaster and York is implied, and takes place off stage. We see the core groups reassemble on stage to continue a discussion which began off stage. They don't seem too terribly angry with each other, and they seem perfectly reasonable UNTIL they decide to pick a red or a white rose to indicate who they agree with. THATS when the War starts for Shakespeare -- as soon as we identify with this or that group the reasonableness goes away and the participants turn their faces toward confrontation and war.

And that is what has happened with Keith and his song. If you like him/it you know wear the red rose of a neoconservative Republican (as opposed to the blue rose of the progressive Democrat.)

I was hoping all this polarization in the US might fade away after Bush and the neocons left office; but no . . . With a heavy heart I continue to hear media types align choices in movie viewing, music -- even one's response to the earthquake in Haiti! -- with either "red state" or "blue state" mentality.

Very depressing.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Here's a song dedicated to Toby Keith and his ilk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N69SQfoOBfo
Kush

Post by Kush » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:26 pm

That song made a lot of noise when it came out. I dont find anything so horrible in it. Yeah a little reactionary no doubt but people had a right to be angry after 9/11 and he expressed it in a song. Its better to be true to what you feel and than be overly PC, anyway thats how I think. He had every right to write that song as Natalie Maines had to say what she said. Chillax....

Anyway, here is one where he is not so angry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQANmQO2g0
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Kush - nothing wrong with being angry, but better that TK confronts his own shadow side, instead of projecting all of the evil onto others.
efc

Post by efc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 am

GinaDCG wrote:Polarization is such a human, and horrid activity.

I am currently reading a book about Shakespeare (Oh Horrors! I can't think of the title, and with this 5 lb cast about my foot I am not inclined to hobble upstairs to get it!)

The author points out something I had not noticed before as evidence (again!) of how Shakespeare yet proceeds the psychologists to their discoveries:

In Henry VI part 1 the initial argument between Lancaster and York is implied, and takes place off stage. We see the core groups reassemble on stage to continue a discussion which began off stage. They don't seem too terribly angry with each other, and they seem perfectly reasonable UNTIL they decide to pick a red or a white rose to indicate who they agree with. THATS when the War starts for Shakespeare -- as soon as we identify with this or that group the reasonableness goes away and the participants turn their faces toward confrontation and war.

And that is what has happened with Keith and his song. If you like him/it you know wear the red rose of a neoconservative Republican (as opposed to the blue rose of the progressive Democrat.)

I was hoping all this polarization in the US might fade away after Bush and the neocons left office; but no . . . With a heavy heart I continue to hear media types align choices in movie viewing, music -- even one's response to the earthquake in Haiti! -- with either "red state" or "blue state" mentality.

Very depressing.
I don't see the "Polarization". Remember Keith is a Dem, as is Obama, who made a point of making it clear that Afghanistan was the essential war, but there's no criticism of the decision to send more troops there by "Norwegians dismayed that a performer known for a fervent pro-war anthem is playing at a show focused on peace". One wonders whether the decision to award the prize to Obama, made before the deployment, was some sort of pre-emptive strike by the wacky leftist Nobel types

All Keith wants is a victory in a just cause, just like Obama. So where's the "Polarization"
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 am

TK is not a true democrat...he's basically just mixed-up and screwed-up by his own parental issues, and stupid enough to buy the "essential war" bullshit . I'm also having doubts about Obama...as far as I can see , he's done little to deserve the Nobel peace prize, except for ousting McCain and Palin. Anyway, enough of all that...carry it on in the politics section, if you must.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 am

Supposedly TK is A Democrat but he did vote for George Bush. What kind of Democrat would do that? The one who is now changing his party to that of the Independents.

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9

Return to “Other music”