Rumours of Dylan Christmas album

This section is for all other music-related topics
AvidCohenFan

Rumours of Dylan Christmas album

Post by AvidCohenFan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:39 pm

http://www.bobdylanisis.com/Dylan%20Digest.htm

A month or so ago, there was a rumour that, following his European tour earlier this year, Dylan had gone into a studio to record another album. This was surprising in itself, given that "Together Through Life" had only just been released, but what was even more surprising was the suggestion that this would be a Christmas album. At the time, we could get no substantiation of the story and, not wishing to spread a rumour for which there was no additional information, chose not to include it in ISIS magazine or on the ISIS website. In the hope of receiving feedback/confirmation, we did, however, print this rumour in our ISIS newsletter (June 2009). Since then, we have received more snippets about this initial rumour. While we cannot reveal the nature of, nor the source of, these snippets, we now feel there are sufficient grounds to go public.

We have also linked these various bits and pieces of information to another, earlier, rumour. Around the time that "Together Through Life" was about to come out, it was said that its release had in fact been brought forward from the originally slated date, namely this coming autumn. We wondered why and now think we have the answer.

We cannot guarantee that these reports will prove to be accurate but this is the way it seems to us:-

Dylan and Sony are planning to release a Christmas album later this year. There is no indication whether this album will consist of Christmas standards, Dylan originals or a mixture of the two.
http://www.bullypulpit.com/index.php?op ... atest-news
BOB DYLAN RECORDING CHRISTMAS ALBUM; "O LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM," "I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS" AMONG TRACKS

By Ryan McDuff, Bully! Pulpit News

August 5, 2009

LOS ANGELES, Calif ------Bob Dylan is recording his first Christmas album, Bullypulpit.com has exclusively learned and has been quietly compiling a collection that includes both Christmas carols and modern songs. At least four songs have reportedly been recorded for the album including, “Must Be Santa,” “Here Comes Santa Claus,” “I’ll Be Home For Christmas" and “O Little Town of Bethlehem.”

The recording sessions have been taking place at fellow recording artist Jackson Browne's Groove Master’s Studios in Santa Monica, California, where Browne produced his album, "I’m Alive."

Prominent media expert and best-selling author Michael Levine said the move by Dylan was "completely consistent with his longstanding tradition of doing the unexpected. Concerning Bob Dylan literally nothing would surprise me which of course is part of his lasting appeal. He confounds like no other pop artist ever."

The inclusion of “O Little Town of Bethlehem," written by an Episcopal priest named Phillips Brooks in 1867 after a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, is likely to fuel speculation about Dylan's religious beliefs that have swirled ever since he publicly converted to Christianity in 1979, recorded explicitly religious material on three subsequent albums and for a time refused to play his old songs. Religious references on subsequent recordings became less overt after 1981's "Shot of Love."

The other three songs, “Must Be Santa” by Hal Moore and Bill Fredricks, “Here Comes Santa Claus” by Gene Autry and Oakley Haldeman and “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” by Buck Ram, Kim Gannon and Walter Kent were all written between 1943 and 1960.

"A Christmas album by Bob Dylan in the pipeline doesn't really shock me," said Scott Marshall, author of a forthcoming book on the singer, "God and Bob Dylan: A Spiritual Life". "At first glance it may sound bizarre, but I don't think Dylan cares much about what his detractors might make of it. Dylan still sings songs from "Slow Train Coming" to this day and he's both never renounced being Jewish or renounced his experience with Jesus some three decades ago. He remains enigmatic and this will probably be talked about for years to come."
John Etherington

Re: Rumours of Dylan Christmas album

Post by John Etherington » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:13 pm

Hopefully it will include "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", and "Frosty The Snowman". Could it be the long-awaited sequel to "Under the Red Sky"?!
merton

Post by merton » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi,

Apparently Dylan is re re-recording two tracks from Blonde on Blonde - Reindeer Women Nos 12 & 35, and with a Christmas theme Obviously Five Believers.

Merton
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.

Return to “Other music”