Bringing It All Back Home - The record that changed everythi

This section is for all other music-related topics
jackrabbittslim

Bringing It All Back Home - The record that changed everythi

Post by jackrabbittslim » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:11 am

An assertion that Bob Dylan's groundbreaking Bringing It All Back Home is the greatest record of the last 100 years. http://www.scene4.com/html/lesmarcott0109.html
John Etherington

Re: Bringing It All Back Home - The record that changed everythi

Post by John Etherington » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:42 pm

There can be no doubt about Dylan's importance and place in the scheme of things, and "Bringing It All Back Home" was a seminal work. As well as influencing many others, I believe it may have been the album that set Leonard on his chosen musical path. Certainly some of Dylan's greatest songs and poetry are included on BIABH - "Mr. Tambourine Man", "Love Minus Zero", "Gates of Eden", "It's Alright Ma" etc. (though I personally prefer "Highway '61" and "Blonde on Blonde" overall).

However, whenever a writer stresses the importance of an album such as this, they tend to make the mistake of assuming that nothing else would have happened without it. This of course is not true...things would just have been different. Sooner or later, there would have been another poet who chose rock as their medium, or a rock star would have recorded a literate work. The writer of this piece is stretching things to say that there may have been no "Pet Sounds" without BIABH. Brian Wilson's major influences were Gerschwin, The Four Freshman, Phil Spector and rock 'n roll. Both Wilson and the Beatles were evolving at a phenomenal rate without Dylan, though their music may well have been different without Dylan's influence (maybe Wilson's harmony sound would have taken on more importance?). Things would also have taken a different course without the availability of marijuana and LSD.

Who knows? Maybe Leonard would have recorded the country and western album that he originally intended to make. It's also possible that he would have still have run into Phil Spector and done some kind of collaboration with him, even though it may have been a little different to "Death of a Ladies' Man".

All good things, John E
Kevin

Re: Bringing It All Back Home - The record that changed everythi

Post by Kevin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Desire is my favorite Dylan album. There's just enough Bob in it for me. In related news: William Zantzinger of "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" died last week.

Return to “Other music”