Bruce Springsteen new albúm !

This section is for all other music-related topics
Kush

Re: Bruce Springsteen new albúm !

Post by Kush » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:49 am

nice one from yesterday - Springsteen singing This Land is Your Land at his own inauguration (with Pete Seeger)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0wiOHc9tI

Garth Brooks was great too singing American Pie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwXWlI8J8Sk
Diane

Post by Diane » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:53 am

Great clips of Springsteen’s inauguration Kush. Until couple days ago I didn’t realise Pete Seeger was still alive. To make it up I have sent for Seeger Sessions Live in Dublin cd. Here's one clip, Eyes on the Prize, excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM3CYEdr5fA

There must be quite a buzz in the air over there. Here’s to your new President. Cheers.

ps Garth Brooks I hadn't heard of for ages, he was on the radio a lot over here maybe ten or fifteen years ago. I didn't mind Thunder Road, uh, Rolls, Unanswered Prayers, Friends in Low Places..
Kush

Post by Kush » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:13 pm

I have the Dublin DVD. It is darker - in light and sound - than the studio recordings. The vocals are more gospel tinged.
Yup there is a bit of a buzz right now over our new President, its the honeymoon period as it should be. And there is of course the historic symbolism because of who he is. Springsteen and his band of merry men were going round knocking on Washingtonians doors on Monday and serenading them. Lately I have been reading about Tiger Woods and its striking to me how similar Obama and Woods are in temperament and style. They both are really cool under intense pressure and also exude that certain 'cool factor' that makes them so charismatic. Lets hope Obama wins as many majors. But I wish George W. and his family well - there were some things that he did and some that he tried to do that I appreciated, even if he left me wondering often whether was any method to the madness.
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:24 pm

I usually find political speeches to be a good cure for insomnia, but I watched the inauguration ceremony and thought it was remarkable, particularly because Obama looked and sounded like he really believed what he was saying. That is such an unusual and welcome impression to have of a politician. I think the bearing and charisma you mention come from that self-belief/authenticity – where there is a congruence of what is on the inside and what presents on the outside. The pictures of the millions gathered far as the eye can see in the Mall were really something. Someone said it might have been the biggest crowd that has gathered together, ever. In any case, a great and historic day to witness.

Back to Bruce - I am normally reluctant to get a live cd/dvd of a tour I have seen (and almost never one of an actual concert I have been to). I won’t be buying the forthcoming LC cd or dvd for a good while I don’t think. But I thought I’d finally get the SS live. Springsteen will apparently be headlining Glastonbury over here this year, with Neil Young. When Bruce is on tour, Obama will be left in charge of the world, but I reckon he'll manage.
Kush

Post by Kush » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Back to Bruce - I am normally reluctant to get a live cd/dvd of a tour I have seen (and almost never one of an actual concert I have been to).
This has never been a problem for me as I rarely go to concerts - I tend to keep my friends close, my enemies closer and my money closest to me...
Diane

Post by Diane » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:55 pm

where do you keep the things that money can't buy...?
Kush

Post by Kush » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:25 pm

Hmm I dont know if I can answer that directly but in general most things in life have a price and the best things in life are free. This arrangement between me and my maker has worked well for me and I have no complaints. :)
Seriously though, if the rumors of an LC concert in Austin are true then there is a good chance I will make it there. Austin is always a fun place to be.
And incredibly enough a 90 year old Pete Seeger plays at the Jazz Fest in New Orleans the last week of April.
Diane

Post by Diane » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:53 pm

I’m glad you’ll be taking in an LC concert, Kush. The reams of outpourings here can’t quite explain how good he is. The New Orleans Jazz Festival sounds like a legendary kinda place to hang out (so does Austin come to that). Never thought I’d hear myself say it, but I wouldn’t mind checking out some jazz, live, just to test whether my teeth can, in fact, remain aligned. I might visit the Brecon Jazz Festival this summer. I also intend to go to Womad for the first time this year. The times they are a changin.

The new Springsteen album is out but I haven’t got it yet. Let’s see what we think of it....
Diane

Post by Diane » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Rolling Stone Review of Working on a Dream, plus listen to album if you are in the US:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/alb ... 0n_a_dream

--------------------

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html:

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND TO LAUNCH 2009 US AND EUROPEAN TOUR

5-STAR (ROLLING STONE) NEW ALBUM 'WORKING ON A DREAM' (COLUMBIA RECORDS) OUT TODAY

RESPONSE TO FIRST TICKET SALES IN SCANDINAVIA CAUSES SYSTEM CRASH WITH UNPRECEDENTED SALES IN STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN AND BERGEN, NORWAY

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band have announced a forthcoming world tour.

DATE CITY VENUE ON-SALE DATE
Feb 1 Tampa, FL Super Bowl XLIII
Apr 1 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion at San Jose Feb 2
Apr 3 Glendale, AZ Jobing.com Arena Feb 2
Apr 5 Austin, TX Frank Erwin Center Feb 7
Apr 7 Tulsa, OK BOK Center Feb 7
Apr 8 Houston, TX Toyota Center Feb 7
Apr 10 Denver, CO Pepsi Center Feb 2
Apr 15 Los Angeles, CA LA Memorial Sports Arena Feb 2
Apr 21 Boston, MA TD Banknorth Garden Feb 2
Apr 22 Boston, MA TD Banknorth Garden Feb 2
Apr 24 Hartford, CT XL Center Feb 2
Apr 26 Atlanta, GA Philips Arena Feb 2
Apr 28 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Spectrum Feb 2
Apr 29 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Spectrum Feb 2
May 2 Greensboro, NC Greensboro Coliseum Feb 6
May 4 Hempstead, NY Nassau Veterans Mem. Col. Feb 2
May 5 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena Feb 2
May 7 Toronto, ONT Air Canada Centre Feb 6
May 8 University Park, PA Bryce Jordan Center Feb 2
May 11 St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center Feb 2
May 12 Chicago, IL United Center Feb 2
May 14 Albany, NY Times Union Center Feb 2
May 15 Hershey, PA Hersheypark Stadium Feb 2
May 18 Washington, DC Verizon Center Feb 2
May 19 Pittsburgh, PA Mellon Arena Feb 2
May 21 E. Rutherford, NJ Izod Center Feb 2
May 23 E. Rutherford, NJ Izod Center Feb 2
May 30 Landgraaf, Holland Pink Pop Festival March 7
June 2 Tampere, Finland Ratinan Stadion ON SALE
June 4 Stockholm, Sweden Stockholm Stadium SOLD OUT
June 5 Stockholm, Sweden Stockholm Stadium SOLD OUT
June 7 Stockholm, Sweden Stockholm Stadium SOLD OUT
June 9 Bergen, Norway Koengen SOLD OUT
June 10 Bergen, Norway Koengen SOLD OUT
July 2 Munich, Germany Olympiastadion ON SALE NOW
July 3 Frankfurt, Germany Commerzbank Arena ON SALE NOW
July 5 Vienna, Austria Ernst Happel Stadion ON SALE NOW
July 8 Herning, Denmark Herning MCH ON SALE NOW
July 11 Dublin, Ireland RDS Jan 30
July 16 Carhaix, France Festival des Vielles Charrues Jan 30
July 19 Rome, Italy Stadio Olimpico ON SALE SOON
July 21 Turino, Italy Olimpico di Torino ON SALE SOON
July 23 Udine, Italy Stadio Friuli ON SALE SOON
July 26 Bilbao, Spain San Mames Stadium ON SALE SOON
July 28 Benidorm, Spain Estadio Municipal de Foietes ON SALE SOON
July 30 Sevilla, Spain La Cartuja Olympic Stadium ON SALE SOON
Aug 1 Valladolid, Spain Estadio Jose Zorrilla ON SALE SOON
Aug 2 Santiago, Spain Monte Del Gozo ON SALE SOON
Kush

Post by Kush » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Thanks for the link Diane. I have it playing for the 2nd time through now at work. I have to say that in fact I wasnt planning to get this album anytime soon, but I really enjoyed it and will be getting it in a couple of days. Maybe we should consider his later albums (Rising, Magic, Working on a Dream and also the non- E street Devils and Dust) separately and not compare to his earlier stuff.
Very nice.
Diane

Post by Diane » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:27 am

Good to hear you're liking it Kush. One of the things Springsteen made a point of in the bbc radio interview this week was that when he felt the E Street sound was washed up and going nowhere, Brendan O'Brien was the guy who made it good again. He does seem to regard The Rising onwards as a separate era, so yeah I guess we should stop measuring these four against the early albums. I can't play that link but I've just read all the lyrics, which are intriguing. I too feel a purchase coming on tomorrow.
Kush

Post by Kush » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 pm

One of the things Springsteen made a point of in the bbc radio interview this week was that when he felt the E Street sound was washed up and going nowhere, Brendan O'Brien was the guy who made it good again.
Let's not push it Bruce. I wouldnt quite go that far. Suffice to say that the sound is very clean on this album and its a very enjoyable listen.

You can also hear it here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=99173117

Queen of the Supermarket is an early favorite for me.
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 am

Kush wrote:
One of the things Springsteen made a point of in the bbc radio interview this week was that when he felt the E Street sound was washed up and going nowhere, Brendan O'Brien was the guy who made it good again.
Let's not push it Bruce. I wouldnt quite go that far.
Bruce, on the video of the recording of My Lucky Day wrote:It's gotta sound reckless coming in . . . something that sounds like you're almost gonna miss it . . . kinda loose . . . wild . . . sloppy but not sloppy... I'm looking for a little dissonance at the end...
When he said that, I could hear it his way. Was that the power of suggestion and because that's what I wanted to hear? And when Bruce listens to the final product, having lived the music for weeks and months, does he hear what he and the band had created before it was mixed, or the final, over-refined sound of the cds? The former maybe. That could be why he overrates B o'B. To be fair though, first impressions are that WoaD does not sound over-produced.

Bought the album last night (from the supermarket as it happens, although my checkout girl was a boy). The Walker Brothers-type songs will take a bit of getting used to. Faves at mo:

3.What Love Can Do
2. Good Eye
1. Outlaw Pete

----------------------

Friday morning edit:

50 minutes on the ticketmaster website just paid off - I have a ticket for Sunday 12th July in Dublin (a second date that was suddenly added). :D .
Diane

Post by Diane » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:41 pm

So what did you think of that Super Bowl performance? I fell asleep before it came on but I was amused to hear one of the commentators say during the first half that he was hoping for The River - he wanted some "depresso Bruce":-). At least that's what I think he said.

I only saw it on youtube with bad sound this morning but it seemed he was trying to condense the exciting, fun parts of a typical concert into twelve minutes. Outside of the context of a three or four hour concert with the usual 30 or so songs, it seemed more like a cabaret act with choir and fireworks and Bruce over-doing the throwing himself around onstage and 'Boss Time' type of routines. And since when has Big Man needed a back up section? I appreciate what he was trying (too) hard to do, but it didn't work. Busy thinking all these negative thoughts, I didn't really listen to the music:-(

Perhaps I just got out the wrong side of the bed today. I want some depresso Bruce now too. Unplugged Soul Driver (again), the cure for anything:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyz-d1yjDkc
Steven

Post by Steven » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi Diane,

I was awake for the on-air performance and agree with your assessment.
Before the game, Springsteen was interviewed. He was energized,
which is understandable. The Super Bowl here is a very big deal,
culturally, sportswise, in terms of viewer ratings, etc. But, he may
have been over-energized, which affected his voice, i.m.o.,
notably on "Born To Run." In the interview, he spoke of the challenge
of compressing hours of concert energy into the 12 minutes alloted to him.
There seemed to be an energy overload that might have been lessened by some
of the "depresso Bruce" you spoke of, had he chosen those songs. Also, I
got the feeling that there was an overly "pop" emphasis and a probable marketing driven "youthful" performance (overcompensation) shown on stage. It wasn't Bruce
at his best, but it wasn't disastrous either. The TV volume was turned
up high and the 12 minutes went by fast in the Steven household.

Return to “Other music”