This section is for all other music-related topics
whillop

Re: Brent Mydland's last show.

Postby whillop » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:05 am

He may have been a great keyboardist , but his voice really was annoying TO ME . This guy ruined more Dead songs for me than I care to discuss . I'm sorry , for his family , that he died so young , but I am glad that he left the Dead .
glab19403

Postby glab19403 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 am

He was the GREATEST keyboardist of all time, (OK, yea Rock) ... he is my inspiration to study and become a student of the keys (10 years now) ... whillop, YOU ARE AN EFFIN TOOL... He embodied the cliche 'Leaving it all on the field' when he played live, check out the DVD Crimson, White, and Indigo (JFK, Philly, 1989) His voice had more grit, soul and blues than most musicians wish they could have... go back to listening to U2, poophead...
glab19403

Postby glab19403 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:05 am

[quote="whillop"]He may have been a great keyboardist , but his voice really was annoying TO ME . This guy ruined more Dead songs for me than I care to discuss . I'm sorry , for his family , that he died so young , but I am glad that he left the Dead

Dude what music do you listen to, Brittany Spears, Lindsey Lohan... (see above)
cheesebeer

Postby cheesebeer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:10 am

I like Brent. He was a very passionate guy.
Mydland's voice is like whiskey or smoke, an acquired taste. He was an extremely talented keyboardist. Of the keyboardists of the Dead, here are my thoughts.
Tom Constanten was pretty good but didn't have a large amount of presence but he was better than Pigpen. Other than that he didn't add to much to the mix on the whole besides his blues singing, rapping and magnetic personality.
Pigpen had attitude, but Pigpen's stupid riff in early Dark Stars is really irritating.
Keith was really good but not consistent enough and did too many drugs and was married to Donna, who did a far worse job than Brent on some stuff, ie Playin in the Band reprise screams. Man those screams are horrible, I'm not a Donna basher at heart but compared to Brent? Come on. Keith and Pigpen's finest hour as keyboardists together is Europe 72, which some say is an overrated tour, especially compared to fall 72, June 74, or Winterland 73, but there are some barnburner shows from that era nonetheless. Pigpen plays some really nice Hammond B3 to augment Keith's piano.
Brent was a very talented keyboardist, more than any of the others, and he got along really well with Garcia. I can respect it if you don't like his voice and some of his songs suck but there are shows from the 80s that are totally awesome, I get the feeling people oftentimes that people smear the Grateful Dead 80s shows without ever listening to them.
Vince, Vince, Vince. I think Vince is fine but nowhere near as good as Brent. What do you guys think of Vince? He was a rather hasty choice after Brent died.
As for a good recommendation for Brent Era? 1981 3 10 is a good one but everyone has different tastes, there are some other sources of this one out there too. http://www.archive.org/details/gd81-03- ... sbeok.shnf
‎I got so I could take his name —
Without — Tremendous gain —
That Stop-sensation — on my Soul —
And Thunder — in the Room — Dickinson
This weeks Grateful Dead show listening club review: 1970 3 24 Pirates World
mr.midnight

Postby mr.midnight » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Brent was probably about the best keyboardist/pianist Grateful Dead ever had. He played with a lot of energy and skill, plus he would jump from keyboard to keyboard in every song.
A hell of a singer, too! I really liked his backing vocals when they got a little loud and blended with Jerry's.
I never really cared for the singing of his, solo, on some songs, same goes for Bob Weir. It's probably because I prefer Jerry's voice.
If Brent was the singer of any other similar band, he's probably be a singer I liked very much.

Donna? That's the backing singer they had in the 70's?

I agree, Dead shows from the 80's are AWESOME, even more so, shows from the 90's as well. I like them more because Jerry's guitar playing got better with age, especially his solos. Plus his vocals got deeper and older. So I often say to people I'm a fan of the gray haired/bearded Garcia!

Vince, well... whatever. The thing that sucked about him was he would often use some cheap-fake-digital piano sound on some $300 keyboard, it sounded not so goos and it would be LOUD to make matters worse. Oh well, I'm sure it's not that big of a deal and most people probably don't care.

Ah yes, the set includes China Doll and Brokedown Palace... so I'll be gettin' to this real soon, thanks!!!

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."
cheesebeer

Postby cheesebeer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:51 am

Awesome. :D
Yeah Donna is the backup singer that was with them for most of the 70s.
The Grateful Dead is definitely a great live band and fun because you can stream/download almost all of their unreleased shows, audience and soundboard recordings from the 60s to 95 on archive.org.
Brokedown Palace and China Doll are great songs, I like Brent's harpsichord stylings on China Doll, it's a deep song too, about suicide and redemption. I love the Playin in the Band-China Doll combo, like 9 10 83 Santa Fe Downs, a recent selection - http://www.archive.org/details/gd83-09- ... .4860.shnf
Keith/70s era China Doll was often the tail end of the combo after 2nd set Dark Star-Eyes of the World and were good too, like this one - http://www.archive.org/details/gd1973-0 ... .1580.shnf.
Brokedown Palace is excellent, great song. One of the legendary performances of that one (May 8, 1984, Brent era) is the one where they dedicated the song, a final encore, to Ken Kesey's late son, Kesey was in the audience and the band all turned to him unexpectedly and played the song for his son, who had died in a car crash not too long before that, it was very meaningful to Kesey.
The recording is up for mp3 streaming at archive.org. http://www.archive.org/details/gd84-05- ... efail.shnf
mr.midnight

Postby mr.midnight » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:38 am

cheesebeer,
I did not know about this archive site!! I'd only been listening and finding older stuff on youtube and on cd's! I have been listening to TONS of shows and songs since you pointed this out to me the other day, this could keep me busy and happy for months. Thanks so much!!! I feel like I've hit the jackpot!

I need to get to hearing some shows from 83-84, I left off hearing some at '82.
Brokedown Palace is a perfect song to dedicate to someone who's passed away, the river and the waterside is better than heaven.

There are actually some videos on youtube of Donna's solo named band, playing in 2009, she and her band plays a lot of Dead songs including a near perfect Bertha.
Here's a good one, a good example how she really added a vibe and accented things well in the 70's, my favorite dead song of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWBpUy87lFs

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."
cheesebeer

Postby cheesebeer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:52 pm

mr. midnight,
I'm glad you checked that out! Cool. I recently listened to recordings of July 6 and July 7 1984 Alpine Valley, they are on the archive.
Donna getting on board added a much needed feminine element to the band after the days of Pigpen, who, incidentally, dated Janis Joplin, as did Cohen.
76 was a big year for Jerry ballads, Loser is a great song.
The Loser that immediately comes to mind is the May 8 1977 Barton Hall show that is generally regarded as one of the best all around shows, recording and performance, by the Grateful Dead. The Betty Cantor board is awesome. http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-0 ... s.266.shnf\
Nice video, great Loser.
Chateau d'Herouville June 21 1971 French TV broadcast Grateful Dead video was recently upped at some sites, check out the Sing Me Back Home, the steam coming out of their mouths is cool as hell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1T3UE-kw_w

Return to “Other music”