Music You're Listening To

This section is for all other music-related topics
LisaLCFan

Re: Music You're Listening To

Post by LisaLCFan »

Squidgy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:19 am
LisaLCFan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:21 am I'm very much enjoying the "Concerto for Jew's Harp, Mandora and Orchestra in E Major" by Johann Georg Albrechtsberger
Thank you for that, Lisa!
With a kazoo addendum, 'twould indeed be jazzy!
Thanks for noticing! When you record your version with kazoo, do let me know! :D
Kush

Post by Kush »

Patrick Hasselbank

Post by Patrick Hasselbank »

Interesting! Never heard or seen music in Maori! Unusual experience
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hey 4,
As you're perusing this thread, I thought you might be interested in what music I'm listening to at this very moment in time ;-) It's a CD I got from my local library. Maybe not to everybody's taste (and not in English and some instrumental) but I find it excellent to listen to and unwind after all the hustle and bustle of Christmas.

gaelic scotland.jpg
gaelic scotland.jpg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 3082 times

Tracklist:
01 Gràdh geal mo chridh'
02 The Nameless Clan
03 O ‘s toil ‘s gu rò thoil leam
04 Chì mi’n toman
05 M'eudail air do shùilean donna - Làrach do thacaidean
06 The DTs Set
07 Gur e mis' tha gu tinn
08 Uamh an oir
09 Thig an smeòrach as t-earrach
10 Mor nighean a' ghibearlain
11 The Musical Priest
12 Ghràidh an tig thu-
13 Ri fuaim an taibh
14 Tha mo spiorad cianail
15 The Para Handy Set
16 Solus m'aigh
17 Waulking Song

I love no 16 Solus m'aigh (Light of Hope) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5HVWvseqE
I must get the sheet music to play on my violin when I get it fixed properly :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

B4, you push eclectic to its limits!

I could not locate your CD on Youtube, but I did find many other instances of Gaelic music. The lighter tracks brought me back to our visit to Ireland years ago (our first trip abroad), and the deeper ones were haunting. All very listenable, and I can see that doing so would be a very nice way to relax and unwind. Not being able to understand the lyrics is unfortunate, but I find that this "undistracts" you and allows you to appreciate the voices themselves rather than the words.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:08 am ...what music I'm listening to at this very moment in time ... I find it excellent to listen to and unwind after all the hustle and bustle of Christmas....I love no 16 Solus m'aigh (Light of Hope)...
That's quite nice -- very relaxing and somewhat ethereal sounding. I recently (a few weeks ago) attended a live concert of Scottish Renaissance music played by the Baltimore Consort, and it was quite a contrast to your CD -- most of the music they played made me feel like I was at a 17th Century drunken hoe-down (which was not entirely what I had expected...).

However, as for "music [I''m] listening to" now and lately, I have been hooked on Mahler's Symphony No. 4, which I've listened to repeatedly over the past week or so -- it is an enchanting piece of music, and I absolutely love it!
B4real wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:08 am ...I must get the sheet music to play on my violin when I get it fixed properly...
What's happened to your violin?

P.S. -- on an unrelated subject and as per a previous post in another thread, it has gotten quite a lot colder here from that balmy -20 I had mentioned: first thing this morning it was -34 with a -51 windchill! I have not been outside, and have no intention of doing so today. Definitely a good day to stay inside and listen to some great music! Cheers!
B4real

Post by B4real »

its4inthemorning wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:29 pm B4, you push eclectic to its limits!
Hi 4,
Music is music, with or without words – with one artist or many. All that matters is that it moves you and takes you to another place - maybe I'm easily moved ;-) And yes, this CD isn’t on YouTube but you can preview it here if you want to - https://music.apple.com/us/album/gaelic ... /906487394

Hi Lisa,
It's unfortunate that concert you recently attended wasn’t as you expected – the title sounds as if it would be!
Nevermind, it seems you have washed that memory with Mahler’s music :)

Regards my faithful violin - it is having trouble with its timbre/resonance. And, no it’s not the player ;-) I have replaced the strings twice and changed the rosin for the bow but it hasn’t fixed the problem. The weather here has been just the opposite of where you are (that’s unbelievably frigid!) and I think the heat and high humidity has affected the actual wood timber of the violin. It started to sound a bit dull after the last bout of hot weather here but I persevered with it. I haven't wanted to travel far in these uncertain times but it seems I’ll really have to take it a luthier in the closest city to see what he thinks.
Last edited by B4real on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:14 am ...Regards my faithful violin - it is having trouble with its timbre/resonance... I think the heat and high humidity has affected the actual wood timber of the violin. It started to sound a bit dull after the last bout of hot weather...
Do you keep your violin in a case with a de-humidifier? I have to keep my instruments in humidified cases, because our air can be very dry (very dry wood can crack), but the same general technology can be used to reduce humidity by having a thing in the case that absorbs excess moisture. Perhaps you've tried this already -- and of course, any extremes of temp and humidity (or lack thereof) can make our instruments unhappy and/or change the sound -- and sometimes it is difficult to optimise the environmental conditions, even when keeping instruments in humidified/dehumidified cases.

Of course, having a luthier look at it is a very good idea: if the wood has swelled or otherwise warped too much from its original specifications -- both body and fingerboard/neck can be altered enough that it can affect the sound -- then he/she can perhaps make some minor adjustments to soundpost/bridge to compensate (or fit it with new ones better suited to its current state), and/or diagnose any other potential issues that can be remedied to give your violin it's most beautiful voice! Hopefully whatever it is can be fixed without too much fuss.
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:06 am Do you keep your violin in a case with a de-humidifier?
Yes, I do but I don't have my air-con on every time when I'm playing it.

Lisa, thanks for all your suggestions and I did consider a problem with the sound post.
It looks to be in place but I wouldn't be able to detect a small shift so best to leave it to the expert to sort out.
In the meantime, if I feel like physical playing music there's always my Electronic Keyboard to flex my fingers on :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Well, I must be in a reflective mood at the moment; probably a continuation of listening to “Gaelic Scotland” :)
I've been listening to a couple of albums I had for years and haven’t played for ages. The first one is “Gregorian Chant – Meeting of Angels”. We played it often as background music in the visual arts and framing place that I worked in for many years. I can distinctly remember hearing it there most clearly On That Day when 911 happened and it sounded different. I’ve long since lost the CD case – here’s a pic of the actual CD -

greg-ch.jpg
Tracklist:
01 Alleluis - Pascha Nostrum
02 Introit - Dominus Illuminatio Mea
03 Introit - Statuit Ei Dominus
04 Introit - Reminiscere Miserationum
05 Graduel - Bonum Est Confiteri Domino
06 Solo Sitar - Raag Bhairavi (A Raag Played at Dawn of the Morning)
07 Alleluia - Excita Domine, Potentiam Tuam
08 Introit - Tibi Dixit Cor Meum
09 Offertorium Domine, In Auxilium Meum

My favourite song from this album is no 3 Introit - Statuit Ei Dominus -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYTXF0Pgi5M
-----

The second one is Zen Meditation Vol 1 (excerpts from Buddha and Bonsai Vol 3).
I’ve also had this album for years but not as long as I’ve had the above one.

zen med1.jpg
zen med1.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
Tracklist:
01 Sesshu's Profound Paintings
02 The Secret Of The Bambu Tea House
03 Senzei Kentaka's Katsura Garden
04 Shakyamuni's Kyoto Gardens
05 Maitreya And His Mount Kameyama
06 Senzei Muso Soseki Kokushi Tempel
07 Avalokiteshvara Tsukimachiyana Cr
08 Mountains And Streams
09 Three Sighs At The Guan Pass

My favourite song from this album is no 3 Senzei Kentaka's Katsura Garden - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyO-45H-9qQ

And now for a change of pace, I reckon it’s back to Leonard with some live concerts for additional lyrics to be added to my book - not to mention also for my complete enjoyment!
Kush

Post by Kush »

Patrick Hasselbank wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:17 am
Interesting! Never heard or seen music in Maori! Unusual experience
Some of the phrasing/imtonation as well as melody appear to have an east Indian folk music flavor to them (Bay of Bengal). I wonder if there is some ancient connection lost to history.

Hoea ra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SquBpgh ... pE&index=3

Huri huri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8GjVLCv34

Pokarekare Ana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2nIpDc6aA
haiduk

Post by haiduk »

The new Haiduk album Diabolica

'Swarm'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9rWWZi7l0

Roy

Post by Roy »

NEW - Peter Cetera - Love, Glory, Honor & Heart: Complete Full Moon & Warner Bros. Recordings 1981-1992

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Glory-Honor ... 113&sr=8-2

LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

DMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH (1906-1975)

Just wondering if there are any serious Shostakovich collectors among us ?
I'm currently revising some of my 1980s articles and am after a couple of CDs of his music which for the life of me I just cannot find anywhere, as they are deleted from the catalogues, and there's no signs of them for sale on any of the usual sites ... just wondering ... the ones I'm after are: his 1955 solo piano recording of "Guitars", from the film The Gadfly (Op.97), and his 1968 recording of the Violin Sonata (Op.134) with David Oistrakh.
I have all the necessary catalogue numbers etc ... if that'll help anyone to help me ... thanks in advance.
JD
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

For the past few days, I've been completely hooked on Sibelius's magnificent Symphony #5, and the finale in particular -- its transcendent "Swan Theme" is a thing of profound, ecstatic beauty. For anyone who may be interested, below is a link to the finale (of course, the entire symphony is also well worth hearing -- a mere half hour that will enhance your life!). The inspiration for this incredible music did, indeed, come from swans after Sibelius saw a flock of them flying in formation, about which we wrote in his diary, "One of my greatest experiences! Lord God, that beauty! They circled over me for a long time. Disappeared into the solar haze like a gleaming, silver ribbon…".

In the opening of the finale, the strings are rather frantic, but just wait for the most sublime dissolution of all that tension at 1:25 when the "Swan Theme" comes in! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzrSZKA4cM

Return to “Other music”