Leonard was our Special Guest at the London meetup

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
mickey_one

Re: Philip Glass/Book of Longing Meetup in London 20/10/07

Post by mickey_one »

It was very nice meeting you, Pete. can you or someone please tell me if the bar was ok after the concert. I feel responsible having chosen it but then disappearing whingeing into the night, going home to nurse my shoulder instead of to the Bar to nurse my friends, as i should have done.
Last edited by mickey_one on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paula

Post by Paula »

When the concert began Leonard walked up the aisle and took a seat with the audience two rows behind me, Pete and Margaret and when the concert finished he went back on the stage to bow etc. It is very disconcerting knowing Leonard is just behind you at a concert!

Pete's set at the meet was outstanding and I think a lot of people thought it was a CD playing he was that good it was only when you looked up you realised someone was actually on the stage singing.

I have a confession to make. Leonard had a glass of water when he came in and when he left and had finished the water he put the glass right in front of me on my table. Well what can I say we would have all done the same :oops:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Paula wrote: I have a confession to make. Leonard had a glass of water when he came in and when he left and had finished the water he put the glass right in front of me on my table. Well what can I say we would have all done the same :oops:

I don't understand. Are you saying you pee'd in it, P?
Paula

Post by Paula »

No Mickey I took it to a safe place away from the dishwasher. It is safe now noone can harm it.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Pete

Post by Pete »

mickey_one wrote:It was very nice meeting you, Pete. can you or someone please tell me if the bar was ok after the concert. I feel responsible having chosen it but then disappearing whingeing into the night, going home to nurse my shoulder instead of to the Bar to nurse my friends, as i should have done.
The evening was late
the air it was still
the barbican sparce
the streets to fill
of a snaking meander
of Cohenites plenty
searching for the pub
and running on empty
getting lost amongst concrete
stopping to peer
that the bar and grill
was not far but near
and eventually they entered
to darkness and noise
scattered Cohenites
all trying to poise
but Padma (I saw)
soon sorted it out
she got us moved
so we didn't have to shout
we captured a room
much quieter to see
at the rear of this pub
and nearer to pee
and we all had such fun
till late and some more
midnight it came
for that I am sure
and some of us stayed
till quarter past one
not wanting to leave
not wanting to run
but it all had to end
before it was light
and the few of us left
spilt into the night
so Mikey the answer
to 'was it OK?'
is that it completed
a memorable day.
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Henning

Post by Henning »

Hello there -

I am back home from this short trip and the wonderful experience.We were so lucky to have Leonard in the cafe, which was a venue I liked a lot. There are so many things to say but I will come up with that later on. But I have this one question. When we were standing in the foyer after the show there was this man next to us giving autographs. Someone said it's an actor and I understood something like Alan Beckham. So who exactly was the man ? I just need to know to give my mother a detailed report.

Otherwise
Still speachless
Henning
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Padma

Post by Padma »

Henning - it was probably Alan Rickman!!!
Pete

Post by Pete »

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000614/

Margaret told me it was Alan Rickman.

Henning..it was great to finally meet you. (QPR didn't win by the way..but they didn't lose!)
Padma..and it was lovely to meet you also. You did a brilliant job except for forgetting to ask Leonard for his £3 towards the Green Note fund :D

and I want to buy Harry's guitar!!!

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
loulou

Post by loulou »

yes that was me Henning.
it was Alan Rickman indeed.
and the actress was Imelda Staunton (whose name i couldnt quite recall then, just remembering she was in 'vera drake' )

it was great to meet some of you last night :D

best, loulou
desire the horse
depression the cart
lizzytysh

Re: Leonard was our Special Guest at the London meetup

Post by lizzytysh »

I have a confession to make. Leonard had a glass of water when he came in and when he left and had finished the water he put the glass right in front of me on my table. Well what can I say we would have all done the same :oops:
:lol: I think Leonard may have your number... though maybe not the one you'd prefer :razz: .

He obviously was concerned for the fate of the glass... the quintessential souvenir from this production being the Glass From Which Leonard Drank symbolizing the Leonard From Which Glass Drank. Knowing it to be worthy of preservation and seeing the endless measures you took to provide the penultimate care you gave his splinters, whom else would he entrust ;-) ?

It shall not be placed amongst the rest... correct :D ? Will just anyone be allowed to drink from it?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lizzie I did not make the connection of course it was the Glass glass. Makes it even more special!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Judy ~

Will you be posting your photo with Leonard? I'm SO glad you and your daughter got to go!!

And... Paula... where is Megan's photo? And yours? And what's this about a BROKEN[??] camera :shock: !!!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's only cuz you're still knackered... it would've come to you :lol: .
Makes it even more special!
As if you needed it to be... :lol: ;-) . I like it that it was water he drank from it. Something about the natural healthfulness... and clarity... and transparency of the liquid and the glass that I like.

I expect to find the glass safe and sound in your care when I visit next. Porcelain sinks are a glass's natural enemy... take care ;-) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lortigosa

Post by lortigosa »

Hello Lizzy (and everyone),
Judy can´t post her picture because it happens to be in my camera :) And until wednesday I won´t have a proper computer, it´s taking ages even for me to write this...
By the way, hello, this is my first post (although I follow some discussions here). I´m Luisa from Barcelona, and oh yes, I was the one who was jumping and bouncing around when Leonard left... what can I say? It was too much contained emotion for me. In front of Him I managed to just tremble like hell :D
I went there just to meet all of you (easier now that I live in UK), but that was great. Thanks for making it possible. And Judy, thanks specially to you for the ticket, that rounded the day even more! I´ll send you the pictures on Wednesday.
Now I only need to get some good sleep, since 2 days ago a Canadian guy is haunting my dreams and I wake up still smiling and trembling... :)

See you,
Luisa
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, Congratulations, Luisa!!! And, welcome, too, of course! What a MASSIVE gift that ticket turned out to be for you 8) .

I just keep wanting to say...
"NEVER, EVER let it be said that Leonard Cohen doesn't care about his fans :D 8) :D !!!"

I'm still amazed at the scenario...

"Take me to the Green Note, please."

. . .

"Take me to the Barbican, please."

:D WoW :D

So, how many opted for the cab, Leonard style ;-) ?

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Other gatherings”