Leonard was our Special Guest at the London meetup

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
lizzytysh

Re: Leonard was our Special Guest at the London meetup

Post by lizzytysh »

'Sayings for every Occasion, Vol 1' compiled by D.E.A.Fere.
Yep, that's the one, Pete. Bound in deep brown leather, gold-embossed lettering on the front. You can spend hours there; justify nearly anything mankind has ever done. I think it's Vol 3 that's addressing conservation with regard to global warming. I was leafing through it the other day and saw something about not washing glasses after only one use, if water was the liquid innit and it was drunk from by a hero. Water shortages and all... it can take over a gallon to wash a single Glass. Hardly worth it. There's something there about it, but I can't remember the page.
Lizzie I do love all these old adages don't you.
Oh, yes. I'm right there with you on that, Paula.

< * let me dig in this bag of emoticons here ~ ah! there it is... * >

;-)

~ Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Pete

Post by Pete »

lizzytysh wrote:
'Sayings for every Occasion, Vol 1' compiled by D.E.A.Fere.
Yep, that's the one, Pete. Bound in deep brown leather, gold-embossed lettering on the front. You can spend hours there; justify nearly anything mankind has ever done. I think it's Vol 3 that's addressing conservation with regard to global warming. I was leafing through it the other day and saw something about not washing glasses after only one use, if water was the liquid innit and it was drunk from by a hero. Water shortages and all... it can take over a gallon to wash a single Glass. Hardly worth it. There's something there about it, but I can't remember the page.

~ Lizzie
Deep brown leather, gold embossed lettering??? Good grief Lizzie..you have a rare first edition there!!!!! Guard it carefully. You've heard of the saying...

'If the tome do'th be in brown
with letters gold just like a crown
the sayings innit will come to pass
'til shattering sounds of broken glass'

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Pete

Post by Pete »

Paula wrote:Pete you crack me up :lol:

Lizzie I do love all these old adages don't you.
As long as it's you cracked and not the glass :lol:
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, dear... I knew there would be signs. I knew it. I was ready to watch for them < * checks watch * > but who'd have known they'd come so soon.

I was astonished by this news of my rare first edition, Pete. I keep rereading your lines in disbelief. How did I ever get so lucky? I knew it was a first, but had no idea that its binding made it a rare one. Well, instead of dissuading me, this new information just reenforces the appropriateness of my sending my tome on to Paula to prop up that Glass... with all this talk of cracking. Firsts all round, I say. The rare first edition anthology to keep the rare first preservation of The Glass From Which Leonard Cohen Drank standing tall and whole. Paula will have her adages handy, at the same time they serve a useful and precious purpose. Each one will always remind her to protect the other. The Glass and the Book... the Book and the Glass. Perfect.

Thank you so much for letting me know. I may think about sending her Vol 2 or 3, as well, now. Nothing too good for a friend, you know. And you... you're a veritable fount of information.

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Diane wrote:Is that right, Paula? Well he seemed like a nice bloke at the talk. Just tell him please to bin the singers next time. Perhaps you shouldn'ta said a dickie bird about the glass? Couldn't resist tho', could ya? Well, I'm off out for a Ruby Murray, but not before I call you on the dog, Padma.
translation for non-cockneys

1. "I'm off out for a Ruby Murray" = !I need to go to Surrey, (in a hurry)"

2. "I call you on the dog" = means "dog and cat" = "hat"

So, what we have learnt tonight, Children, is that Diane is in a big hurry to go to Surrey as soon as Padma lends her a hat.

Have fun, you 2 mad titchies(titchies= Lionel Ritchies)

Mike
Last edited by mickey_one on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Pete ~

If Paula can now get her hands on a candle [hmmm... how about that one in the photo of Leonard :idea: ], she'll have the first, living edition of Glass, Book and Candle.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere »

Lizzie -

I think it's Bell, Book, and Candle.
kokenpere
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Now you went and did it, Kokenpere... ruined a perfectly good knock-off ;-) . I had to struggle enough as it was to get it into formation. However, just so you can look at it from my perspective, note the word "first"... Bell, Book and Candle was already done... Glass, Book and Candle, however... a first... and since there won't be any writing involved, a "living edition."

Hope that helps. See how risky it is trying to navigate these waters... up the creek without a 'moticon? So easily misinterpreted. To think a simple ;-) could have avoided all this.

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
Diane

Post by Diane »

Thought I'd bring this to the top again:
Willy and Wybe wrote:Hello Friends,

I have placed a video from THE meeting at the Green Note on our website.
http://members.chello.nl/w.lageveen/
Take a look at the item “Meeting in London”
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Hi to all - Eija and I returned last night from Madrid after very hectic two weeks in London, Barcelona, and Madrid. Linda and Dick will fly home tomorrow. I will post a number of London meetup photos on the main site during the weekend (first have to get some balance to my professional duties :neutral: ), but here is one to start with :razz:

(The photo was shot by Frauke)
Attachments
apu.jpg
apu.jpg (100.37 KiB) Viewed 8513 times
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Beautiful photo. Copies all round ;-) . [I see you back there, Willy, looking at the back of Leonard's head... taking in every perspective that you're able during this precious time. Looks the corner of Heather's face, too. Leonard looks happy :D . Looking forward to every one of the other shots.

Welcome home, Jarkko :D . Good to have you back!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Diane

Post by Diane »

Lovely picture Jarkko. Safe journey home to Dick and Linda. What you wouldn't realise if you weren't there, is that Wybe started rolling his video camera after Leonard had already been around for about ten minutes, and been greeted by a few of us who disbelievingly spotted him first (I'd heard he might come but I didn't think it likely). In total he stayed for maybe forty minutes? He was due on stage with Philip Glass a couple of hours later! It was so generous of him to come along and make us all so happy. I hope him making us happy made him happy back. I imagine it did, and that's a nice thought.
Henning

Post by Henning »

You all must hate me now because it looks like disrespect that I have my hand in my pocket. It was just nervousness believe me.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Bela

Post by Bela »

Hi, everyone!

I am not a member of your lovely group so I wasn't aware of a meeting at The Green Note and I can see I missed a fantastic occasion. But, nevermind, your accounts and photos and video make up for it somewhat.

I just wanted to thank you for helping me remember a momentous evening and to say I put up a 30-sec video of the pre-concert talk at the Barbican on YouTube. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oxl1770TYd0 I'm afraid it's inaudible (if someone can remember what LC said at that point, it would be great) and very fuzzy (I only have a tiny camera) but, you know, it's something. LOL!

I will revisit here to read more of your memories and look at your pictures. Take care. :D
London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Henning

Unknown to you I took his photo of you just before you quickly tried to hide
your copy of Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy by stuffing it in your pocket.

How many times do I have to tell you that there's no shame in being a Dylan fan.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani

Return to “Other gatherings”