Leonard was our Special Guest at the London meetup

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Diane

Re: Leonard was our Special Guest at the London meetup

Post by Diane » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Wonderful pics! Brings it all back. Now that I am returning to earth, I am left with a lovely memory of the awed reverential hush that greeted Leonard as he came into the Green Note. And as he spoke with everyone and signed books, the emotion in the room was of collective delight, and it was worth a million dollars.

Later on, at the Barbican pre-concert talk, Leonard recited much of A Thousand Kisses Deep, and hearing him do that live was thrilling, and the highlight of the evening's performance for me. As his beautiful voice was reciting the words, I was filled with a sense of admiration for how talented and generous and humble he is.

Saturday was priceless.

Thanks for everything, Leonard.

Diane
Last edited by Diane on Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henning

Post by Henning » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:00 pm

Diane, you had asked me about my setlist. Here it is:

Other Writers, Gravity, The Sun, The Cold, Lorca Lives, Split

I think I felt that something much greater would happen every next second, that's why I kept it short. I think.

H.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:33 pm

Beautiful description, Diane. Your second paragraph also describes how I felt watching and listening to him in Toronto, even without a recitation. I would have also been in awe of his memory at that point.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:42 pm

Once again, my thanks to each and everyone of you who were there and for your photographs that you have posted in here. Keep them coming.

First hand reviews are so much more interesting.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:46 am

Ah yes, Mr H, it was Split I was thinking of! You sang it powerfully. Really enjoyed that one. I hope that devious Wijbe (sp?) has it taped.
Henning

Post by Henning » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:48 am

Thanks for the feedback, Mrs. D ! It helps me to understand which way to go.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:49 am

Henning wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Mrs. D ! It helps me to understand which way to go.
onwards and upwards :D
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Henning

Post by Henning » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:53 am

While people were more interested in taking photos with that other singer from Canada, only this balloon patiently posed with me.

Photo taken by Diane
Attachments
meinlondon.jpg
meinlondon.jpg (21.51 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
IT'S DARKER NOW
Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Henning wrote:While people were more interested in taking photos with that other singer from Canada, only this balloon patiently posed with me.
That's just your inflated opinion :D
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Henning was so popular in London he was booked for a hen party on the same day. That is the "before" picture.
Padma

Post by Padma » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:29 pm

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's account and the pictures are great - I can't wait for Jarkko to post them all next week. For me, the event started many months ago when Diane and I had been talking very informally about a get together in London - and the Barbican concert seemed the perfect time to organise something. Harry and I had been to the Green Note for a meal and to listen to some music one evening and we were both completely bowled over with the venue. In the 1980s, so many other similar venues existed - and they have over the years been replaced with cocktail bars or restaurants catering for a completely different type of clientele. The GN reminded us both of a very famous folk bar in town called "Bunjies" (where John Martyn used to play before he became famous) - sadly this too has met the demise of all the others (and yes, Hydriot the Troubadors is another).

Jarkko recently emailed me a couple of times emphasising how important it was for everyone to come to the GN on time - now I know why!! On the day itself, we were supposed to have been there by 11.30 to meet Paula and for Pete to try out Harry's guitar. As it turned out we rolled in just before 12 (typical Indian timing - if they say 11 o'clock - arrive at the earliest at 2!!). We were (pleasantly) taken back by how many Cohenists were already there.... it was great to see everyone again. Jarkko whispered - "I've invited Leonard to come - he has a busy day but he will try to come" . At this stage I didn't think it was going to happen!! There was a very relaxed atmosphere in the GN - with everyone greeting each other, catching up with old friends and being introduced to new ones.

At about 3 o'clock Leonard arrived (on his own) and Michael who was already on the mic (I think discussing the literary merits of Deidre's winning poem) introduced Leonard as our special guest ..and it is exactly as Diane says - there was a hushed, reverential silence that you could have cut through. Michael and Lizzie read out poems ...and then the (very thoughtful) sound engineer put on 10 New Songs - and whilst Leonard made his way round greeting, signing and having photos - the songs gently played in the background - it was surreal. One of the bar staff phoned the manageress of the GN and said "Leonard Cohen is here!!!" She didn't believe her at first but managed to race back from another event that the GN were hosting up the road - to have her photo taken with him - someone told me that he was already in the taxi when she arrived back but Leonard very graciously got out for the final photo call!! Both the manageresses of the Green Note are big LC fans!! and I was told when I made the booking by them that we had very good taste in music...

There is so much more to say but this is already a long enough posting - for me the thing that touched me the most was that Leonard coming to the event was a testament of the friendship and respect that both Leonard and Jarkko hold for each other. Thank you so very, very much Jarkko - and thank you everyone for all your contributions to making the day so memorable for each other. Harry and I both hope to keep in touch with so many of you.

Pete - you are going to have to up your offer on Harry's guitar - 50 quid and a CD thrown in is just not enough (thanks for the CD - we've been listening to it all day today!)
Padma (and Harry!)
ps Does anyone know why we were not invited to the Hen-ning party? Did we say something to upset him?
Last edited by Padma on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:52 pm

Padma Kalraiya wrote: The GN reminded us both of a very famous folk bar in town called "Bunjies" (where John Martyn used to play before he became famous) - sadly this too has met the demise of all the others (and yes, Hydriot the Troubadors is another).
Padma, if you mean the Troubador in Kensington, then it was still alive last year where I saw the great Jackie Leven play.
Padma

Post by Padma » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:26 pm

Michael - thank you for that. I had no idea it was still open. I vaguely remember many years ago talk of it closing down.
Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:59 pm

Padma Kalraiya wrote: Pete - you are going to have to up your offer on Harry's guitar - 50 quid and a CD thrown in is just not enough (thanks for the CD - we've been listening to it all day today!)
Padma (and Harry!)
Just a minute!!!! My last offer was £25!
and that added to the value of the cd makes it a round £3500 :D
I'll collect it in the morning :)
Pete
lortigosa

Post by lortigosa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:41 am

Hi everyone! I have some pictures to upload :D

Thanks Jarkko for convincing Leonard to come and see us!!!
Attachments
Signing Book of Longing
Signing Book of Longing
DSC01812 (Small).JPG (28.12 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
Leonard and Judy (I told you her picture was in my camera)
Leonard and Judy (I told you her picture was in my camera)
DSC01795 (Small).JPG (30.96 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
Leonard and me (that sounds good!!)
Leonard and me (that sounds good!!)
DSC01807 (Small).JPG (52.77 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

Return to “Other gatherings”