Where is the 2010 Event??

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Surely what matters, as well as the dedication of the potential organising committees, is how many guests would be motivated to attend each location? Critical to that is the question of cheap flights. Both Krakow and Dubrovnik are beautiful in their different ways, but are there any cheap flights there (EasyJet, etc)?

Once flight costs are known, why not conduct a poll by email or pm of all who have attended events before, or expressed interest in attending? The poll wouldn't be binding, of course, but it might give some useful insight.

As a single parent, I am really looking forward to October 2009 when my youngest goes to university and at last I can start my second childhood (something I have been longing to do ever since my first ended!) At last I may actually be able to attend events outside the school holidays. So I am taking a real interest in Event 2010.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hello dear friends,

All of the locations mentioned:

Croatia
Poland
Barcelona
Dublin
London

have immense charms.

I will try to help what ever committee tries to take over this next event. Obviously the distance will prevent me from participating in the day to day to organizing-however my background as a meeting planner and hospitality professional can probably add to the planning committee. All of the Leonard Cohen brethren have been great to work with in the past and I hope that I can continue to contribute in my small way.

Please let me know how I can help. Perhaps Anne and I can do an advance tour to check out the venues.

All good things,

Joe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Perhaps Anne and I can do an advance tour to check out the venues.
Now, there's a tough job. Are you sure you're up to it :wink: ?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

So I am taking a real interest in Event 2010.
This is great news, Hydriot 8) !

~ Lizzy
Laura

Post by Laura »

hydriot wrote:Surely what matters, as well as the dedication of the potential organising committees, is how many guests would be motivated to attend each location? Critical to that is the question of cheap flights.
Which gets me to the essential question and one I didn´t dare to ask... How are we supposed to get to Edmonton?! I understand that Event is going to be the biggest one of all; so I just wonder where all the people will come from and how will they manage it. (yes, Berlin was so good that it was not enough... I´m making plans for the next already)
Laura
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

Well, Laura, after reading your post, I took it upon myself to conduct a preliminary random search of flights from Bucharest to Edmonton (of course, a lot can change in two years with flying) but regardless, only very dedicated Cohenists will attempt such a flight (which I know you are, deargirl) and also, such as our very good friend, Andrew Darbyshire is, for instance. Now all you have to do is get Kim to pick you up at the airport, or ask Henning to hire a taxi and come fetch you, which I'm sure he would be happy to do. :--)) You could also stop for awhile to rest with us in Arlington, next door to DC (if you can stand the thought of being this close to MisterBush, that is - personally, it almost makes me gag when I think of how nearby he is to where I live) By that time, he will be almost outta here, though, which is an encouraging thought.

Does this help... ? :--)

B

Northwest Airlines
Flight 8358 operated by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines / Flight 41 / 1023 6:15am
Otopeni Bucharest, Romania (OTP) 11:25pm
Edmonton, AB Canada (YEG) 26hrs 10min - 2 Stops

Change planes in Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
Change planes in Minneapolis/St Paul, MN (MSP) $1,139
per person $2,015
per person
This Flight + 14 Nights Hotel
View Seats Select Options
Tarom Romanian
Flight 301 9:20am
Otopeni Bucharest, Romania (OTP) 8:35pm
Edmonton, AB Canada (YEG) 20hrs 15min - 2 Stops

Change planes in Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Change planes in Toronto, ON Canada (YYZ) $1,170
per personSelect
Lufthansa
Flight 470 / Flight 9618 operated by Air Canada

United
Flight 9085 operated by Lufthansa / Flight 907 / Flight 6933 operated by UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST 7:20am
Otopeni Bucharest, Romania (OTP) 10:29pm
Edmonton, AB Canada (YEG) 24hrs 9min - 2 Stops

Change planes in Munich, Germany (MUC)
Change planes in Chicago, IL (ORD) $1,206
per personSelect
View Seats
Lufthansa
Flight 3423 / Flight 9636 operated by Air Canada / 9616 operated by Air Canada 7:20am
Otopeni Bucharest, Romania (OTP) 6:35pm
Edmonton, AB Canada (YEG) 20hrs 15min - 2 Stops

Change planes in Munich, Germany (MUC)
Change planes in Toronto, ON Canada (YYZ) $5,861
per personSelect
View Seats
Air Canada
Flight 9165 operated by LUFTHANSA OR LH CITYLINE / Flight 845 / 1176 6:00am
Otopeni Bucharest, Romania (OTP) 5:58pm
Edmonton, AB Canada (YEG) 20hrs 58min - 2 Stops

Change planes in Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Change planes in Calgary, AB Canada (YYC) Select to see priceSelect
View Seats
Air France
Flight 2789 operated by Tarom Romanian / Flight 358 9:25am
Otopeni Bucharest, Romania (OTP) 8:35pm
Edmonton, AB Canada (YEG) 20hrs 10min - 2 Stops

Change planes in Charles de Gaulle, France (CDG)
Change planes in Toronto, ON Canada (YYZ) Select to see priceSelect
Air Canada
Flight 159
View Seats
Austrian Airlines
Flight 7012 operated by Tarom Romanian / Flight 77 / Flight 8269 operated by Air Canada 8:45am
Otopeni Bucharest, Romania (OTP) 12:45am - Sun, Oct 8
Next day arrival
Edmonton, AB Canada (YEG) 25hrs - 2 Stops

Change planes in Vienna, Austria (VIE)
Change planes in Toronto, ON Canada (YYZ) Select to see priceSelect

British Airways
Flight 885 / 87 8:35am
Otopeni Bucharest, Romania (OTP) 9:40pm
Edmonton, AB Canada (YEG) 22hrs 5min - 2 Stops

Change planes in London, Great Britain (LHR)
Change planes in Vancouver, BC Canada (YVR) Select to see priceSelect
Air Canada
Flight 246
View Seats
Save to FareWatcherSM| Modify your search 8 flight options: 1 - 8

Seats Left at this Price*
Another Travelocity Exclusive! Never nearly miss a good deal again.
Airlines often change the pricing and availability for seats within the same plane or route. Now Travelocity goes that extra step to let you know when a specific price may have limited availability.

Note that seat and pricing availability is at time of search and prices are not guaranteed until purchase. The number of seats left at the stated price are the exact number of seats released by the airline to sell and do not reflect the total number of seats available for the entire flight.

* This technology is covered by one or more pending patent applications.
Dem

Post by Dem »

Henning:
Maybe for the first time we need a committee for a decision like in the olympics and I want to be in that committee. I am already looking forward to all the bribes, bracelettes, barbeques, beers, brunettes and blondies.
You have a Greek brunette from me if you vote Hydra 2010
(I know your wife isn't reading this :P )

Hydriot:
So I am taking a real interest in Event 2010.
Does that include organizing something on Hydra also?

Jarkko:
Maybe we should next ask any potential organizing teams to come forward
with their plans and suggestions. That way we will see which cities/teams are serious about this and have the required resources.
That's why (depending on hydriot's answer to the above question) I believe Hydra will come as one of the few serious canditates at the end.

Dem

PS) Hey Elizabeth!
From real reality back to virtual reality, eh?
Please give my greetings to Xenia.
Is she struggling with the Greek "Favourite Game"? :)
don

Post by don »

I want to add to what Bobbie has suggested. (Maybe it's time to start an Edmonton 2008 string?)

Edmonton does indeed have lots of flight options. But there was also some discussion in Berlin about the possibility of chartering a flight from some European location (Frankfurt? Amsterdam? London?) This would likely be much more cost effective. After all, there's ample time to put this in place, and time enough to solicit interest from those who might want to attend.

I would strongly suggest that such a flight also include Calgary in its itinerary. The Edmonton event takes place at the same time as the Calgary Stampede -- a 10-day rodeo, music gathering, carnival, street party, and exhibition where a city of a million people goes crazy for cowboy culture. I think the combination of Edmonton's festivals and Calgary's western flavour is something our European contingent won't want to miss.

Bob Parkins and I have been ruminating over the possibility of helping to organize some kind of Calgary warm-up to Dr. Kim's Edmonton Main Event. Maybe some of us could gather in Calgary for a few days of rip-snortin', hard-leather, ghost-riders-in-the-sky, whoopi-ti-yi-yuppy fun and then mosey on up to Edmonton at the beginning of the Event.
d.
Don Cummer
Ottawa, Canada/Dublin, Ireland
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Is that famous Canadian train going thru Edmonton? I'd like to fly to Montreal and then ride the train all over the country:-)
Anne

Post by Anne »

It is the TransCanada train.
http://www.trainpackages.ca/packages/Th ... a.668.html
It starts in Toronto, though you could start in Montreal if you want I guess, and it costs a lot of money.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Tom Sakic wrote:Is that famous Canadian train going thru Edmonton? I'd like to fly to Montreal and then ride the train all over the country:-)
If you'd like to take the train then consider flying to Halifax, NS and from that nice city you could take the train to Edmonton thru Montreal and Toronto - with some nice stop overs, because the whole trip takes almost 4 days.

Mirek
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Thank you, Anne, and dziękują, Mirek, that was exactly what I was thinking about. 4 days, wow!
don

Post by don »

I have made the train trip across the country -- in three stages as it turns out.

In the summer of 1997, I left Vancouver in the evening and woke up in the middle of British Columbia. That afternoon we travelled through the Rocky Mountains. By the second evening we were in Edmonton. Third evening was near the Manitoba-Ontario border. Fourth evening, we arrived in Toronto.

Next leg of the trip was Toronto to Ottawa, my home.

I continued the trip the following spring: from Ottawa to Halifax -- changing trains in Montreal.

For train lovers, this is an unforgettable experience. But if you want to maximize the impact in a short time, take the day to travel east from Vancouver, rather than the two days west from Toronto -- unless you prefer the landscape of prairies and Canadian Shield forests to that of the mountains.

Check out VIA Rail's website http://www.viarail.ca.
d.
Don Cummer
Ottawa, Canada/Dublin, Ireland
Pawel Gorny

Re: Where is the 2010 Event??

Post by Pawel Gorny »

Do We know the date of Edmonton Event? In Canada, there will be a total solar eclipse !
Aug 01 2008
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/S ... Aug01T.GIF
Henning

Post by Henning »

Total eclipse - WOW ! The four in the morning feeling at high noon - looks like Dr. Kim is already in the middle of the organising process.

Return to “Other gatherings”